September 18th, 2008

Trump endorses McCain

Trump also said Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin had rejuvenated the Republican Party.
Trump also said Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin had rejuvenated the Republican Party.

(CNN) – Real estate mogul Donald Trump is endorsing Sen. John McCain: “I’ve known him. I like him. I respect him. He’s a smart guy and I think he’s going to be a great president,” Trump said Wednesday night on CNN’s Larry King Live. “I endorse him.”

Watch: Trump backs McCain

Trump also had praise for McCain’s decision to pick Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate. “I think she’s made a tremendous impact. The impact that she has had on rejuvenating almost the Republican Party, it’s been unbelievable.”

Trump also confided that he did not know who Palin was before McCain asked her to join him on the GOP ticket. “As soon as we got to see her and watch her, everybody’s impressed,” said Trump. “That really is to John McCain’s credit. What he did in this choice is amazing. . . . It was a courageous choice.”

Trump may have announced his endorsement last night, but he voted with his pocketbook months ago; campaign finance records show Trump, who has donated to McCain for years, and gave the legal maximum to the Arizona senator in May. The same month, the members of Trump’s family — wife Melania Knauss and children Donald Jr, Ivanka and Eric — also gave McCain the maximum individual donation allowed under federal campaign finance laws.

The New York mogul — who said Wednesday night that McCain was winning, but it would be a “different race” if Hillary Clinton were Obama’s running mate — was also an early financial supporter of his home state senator’s presidential campaign.

Filed under: Donald Trump • John McCain
  1. GENE MERSEREAU

you see The DONALD is smitten by her good looks , not her views, she is a sheep in wolves clothing

September 18, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  2. Nick

This is news? C'mon!
    Breaking news: My dad supports Obama.

September 18, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  3. drew

here's one mccain supporter who doesn't care.

4. McCain Invented the BlackBerry, Palin Invented the Manure Spreader

Just who is the elitist here?

5. DebM, Allentown, PA

And I have a quick comment to make to those who say that Obama will raise your taxes and McCain won't.

Under McCain's plan, he'll give me a tax credit of $5,000 for health benefits, but he'll tax the benefit we receive from my husband's employer. Our health benefits are $14,000 a year, less the tax credit of $5,000, and suddenly I'm paying taxes on an extra $9,000 of income. And then what if the employer decides to stop providing health insurance because "everyone is covered under McCain's plan" (lie, by the way). Then I suddenly have to come up with an extra $9,000 in real money to make up for the benefit I lost. I'd much rather pay the extra $300 or so in taxes that Obama will make me pay since we're between that $250,000 and $603,000 level in income.

Vote smart people!!

6. Happy in Arizona

Lost all respect for Trump. I never pictured him an idiot.

7. Kim

Shocking...a greedy, self-centered billionaire doesn't want to give back to America by paying more taxes, and he is backing McCain. Who would have guessed such a turn of events. I'm fairly certain if Palin applied to "The Apprentice" she would hear the words "you're fired" in about 2 milliseconds, but she's the appropriate person to be second in command.

8. Old Fart

Are the endorsements of other minor television personalities going to be given the same coverage? Who's John Davidson endorsing? Howie Mandell? Ryan Seacrest? That guy on that fifth grader show?

9. Minerva-Nashua

I vote for McCain and Palin to be the next celebrity contestants on "The Apprentice"

10. Lana

Of course Trump supports McCain. The GOP has been helping the billionaires all along and they want to keep it that way. Get the fox out of the chicken coop. Vote for Obama.

11. Truth

Does anyone really care what Donald Duck thinks? His reality show was terrible, is it even on anymore? Big surprise, another old rich white billionare, but yet still can't afford a decent hair piece, supports McCain. Why is this even news?

12. fair and balanced

Not sure if anyone caught the fact check in the article about McCains new ad, but if you didn't here part of what it says. Obamas tax plan would give the biggest break to lowest income earners (my comment: the working poor). McCains plan would give the biggest breaks to the higher income earners (the rich).

Hmm. Why do you think Donald Trump likes McCain?

13. Sarah L., Fayetteville, AR

Another one of the super-rich for McCain. I wonder if this has anything to do with Obama's tougher stance on the economy and proposed tougher regulations?

14. Maggie

That's a no brainer...

15. CHANGE = OBAMA

How did John McCain hold out so well in Vietnam and cave so quickly to the GOP base?

And what is Palin hiding?

September 18, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  16. Moe

is this a joke... Why do the supper rich love McCain?

September 18, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  17. Tony in GA

Just like his failure in real estate, he has made another bad decision! He states that McCain is winning?! While I don't believe the polls, McCain has an uphill battle. Now that the conversation is actually on issues than McCain lies, MCCAIN/PALIN has no chance!!!!!!!

September 18, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  18. Joe

Palin was a great pick!

She can fix the economy because she can see Bank of Wasilla from her house.

September 18, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  19. joey from nc

of course trump would be for mccain. That is a no brainer.

September 18, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  20. Jorge

Isn't Trump the kind of person McCain was talking about when he used the term, "FAT CAT?"

September 18, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  21. Orlando

Of course Trump would go for mcCain, he is getting the bennifets from the Repubs, like all the rich!

September 18, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  22. Just Me In WV

Gee, makes you wonder how the rich can be so stingy. They want to make obscene amounts of money and not be taxed. After all, taxes are for the "little guys" – they are used to doing without. Shame on those rich folks.

Obama/Biden 08

September 18, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  23. Rebublican for Obama

WOW! What a surprise! Another rich elitist backing McSame! McSAME choosing Obama to be a heartbeat away from being our President – a courageous move?? It scares the hell out of me – she is a bold face lyer, vindictive towards people who don't agree with her, and last but not least – she is a stupid fluff who gives women a BAD name! By the way, I am a woman!

September 18, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  24. me-o-my

It only goes to show where the extra wealthy rich are betting their money. Go for the extra rich (dumb) guy. It makes no difference to the extra rich what happens to the economy for the average working guy. Let the poor guy get lower down so the extra rich can keep their heels on their throats.

September 18, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  25. Belle1

Actually, if anyone BOTHERS to watch the H & C interview of Sarah Palin or the 4 parts on UTube, she gets down to specifics, and you can certainly see why McCain picked her!

She was great.

By the way, Obama has 0 Economic Experience, and 0 Foreign Policy Experience. Biden has 0 Executive Experience.

McCain/Palin 08