September 18th, 2008

Trump endorses McCain

Trump also said Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin had rejuvenated the Republican Party.
Trump also said Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin had rejuvenated the Republican Party.

(CNN) – Real estate mogul Donald Trump is endorsing Sen. John McCain: “I’ve known him. I like him. I respect him. He’s a smart guy and I think he’s going to be a great president,” Trump said Wednesday night on CNN’s Larry King Live. “I endorse him.”

Watch: Trump backs McCain

Trump also had praise for McCain’s decision to pick Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate. “I think she’s made a tremendous impact. The impact that she has had on rejuvenating almost the Republican Party, it’s been unbelievable.”

Trump also confided that he did not know who Palin was before McCain asked her to join him on the GOP ticket. “As soon as we got to see her and watch her, everybody’s impressed,” said Trump. “That really is to John McCain’s credit. What he did in this choice is amazing. . . . It was a courageous choice.”

Trump may have announced his endorsement last night, but he voted with his pocketbook months ago; campaign finance records show Trump, who has donated to McCain for years, and gave the legal maximum to the Arizona senator in May. The same month, the members of Trump’s family — wife Melania Knauss and children Donald Jr, Ivanka and Eric — also gave McCain the maximum individual donation allowed under federal campaign finance laws.

The New York mogul — who said Wednesday night that McCain was winning, but it would be a “different race” if Hillary Clinton were Obama’s running mate — was also an early financial supporter of his home state senator’s presidential campaign.

Filed under: Donald Trump • John McCain
  1. LOL

The HAIRPIECE has political thoughts???

YOU'RE FIRED!!!

September 18, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  2. KenM

It's nice to hear. I'm a life long democrat voting repiublican for the first time this year. It's that simple.

September 18, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  3. Joe Mo

How many houses does Trump have? Go Obama

September 18, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  4. One more thing

And I have a quick comment to make to those who say that Obama will raise your taxes and McCain won't.

Under McCain's plan, he'll give me a tax credit of $5,000 for health benefits, but he'll tax the benefit we receive from my husband's employer. Our health benefits are $14,000 a year, less the tax credit of $5,000, and suddenly I'm paying taxes on an extra $9,000 of income. And then what if the employer decides to stop providing health insurance because "everyone is covered under McCain's plan" (lie, by the way). Then I suddenly have to come up with an extra $9,000 in real money to make up for the benefit I lost. I'd much rather pay the extra $300 or so in taxes that Obama will make me pay since we're between that $250,000 and $603,000 level in income.

Vote smart people!!

September 18, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  5. Nel from Chicago

And this is news?? Why? Duh, of couse Trump endorses McCain...

September 18, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  6. Liz F

well, they have almost the same haircut.

September 18, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  7. JC

Um, didn't Trump have to file for bankruptcy a while back? Why would anyone follow his opinion on what is best for the US economy if he couldn't even manage his own empire?

September 18, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  8. georgia independent

Add another rich elitist to McCain's crew. With endorsements like the Donald and the Rothschild, middle America will hopefully wake up and smell the coffee...

And the Republicans criticize Obama for his ties with celebrities?

September 18, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  9. Ellie

Can WE SAY BOZO THE CLOWN #4?

i mean this guy can't even get a decent hair cut! Are you kidding me? Donald Trump supports John McCain because John McCain and Sarah Palin MAKE HIM RICHER and YOU POORER!! Bottom line.

They give huge TAX BREAKS to people like Donald Trump and BIG corporations!

IF WALL STREET DOESNT' GIVE YOU VOTERS A SERIOUS "CLUE" ON WHAT YOUR FUTURE IS GOING TO LOOK LIKE UNDER THE McCAIN-PALIN TICKET, THEN YOU ARE MORE STUPID THAN I THOUGHT!!

September 18, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  10. Sherri

I truly thought you were smarter than this Mr. Trump. In the economic nightmare unfolding in our country, McCain brings nothing to the table. In every respect, Sarah Palin brings nothing at all...anti women policies, ignorance of basic foreign policy stands, lies about visiting Iraq, nepotism to an extraordinary degree, disrespect for endangered species and the environment...the list is endless. She is an insult to highly qualified Repulican women and liberal minded Democrat women. There were many qualified GOP women for McCain to choose from...why in the world would anyone pick Palin?

September 18, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  11. Keith COrnelius

See I just posted the truth and CNN won't post if what a surprise !!!

September 18, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  12. rainbowgirl

He's rich so he's voting his pocketbook. BUT it makes no sense that he would vote for Hillary if she were running (I certainly would) because Hillary's viewpoints are vastly different from McCain's viewpoints. But maybe he just likes Hillary, like I do. I would never vote for McCain (and especially Palin), that's for sure. I don't see how any woman could.

September 18, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  13. Sarah's shadow

I live in Key West and I am an expert on US/ Cuban relations because we are only a stone's throw from each other

September 18, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  14. rose, texas

u'l better get use 2 it, mccain being our president that is, cuz trump is rite if obama would've pick hillary there would b no mccain in the white house come jan., but since he didn't 4 more yrs.of bush

15. John, FL

WOW, he supports the New World Order too!

16. Edna, WA

CNN,

It would have been news if Trump had supported Obama. Trump supporting McCain is just like McCain supporting McCain. This is not news–where's your award winning team? You guys are sleeping at the wheel.

Obama/Biden 08

17. JusLaugh

Duh...He's a rich, out-of-touch dude. Of course he is going to endorse one of his own.

How come whenever Obama starts rising in the polls, CNN starts posting only positive stuff about McCain and negative stuff about Obama on their blogs? Kinda seems like someone is trying to subconsciously influence people away from Obama...Maybe because CNN one of those big corporations that McCain loves so much? I sure hope not, but you are losing your no-bias credibility.

I doubt you will post this, let alone answer to it, though.

18. kisa

Who cares McTrump for Mc90%..

Obama all the Way!!!!!!!!!!!

19. JohnBoy

Its ok to vote for a white man in the USA.

McCain 08

20. J from DC

This is an interesting story, because Trump is backing the ticket that will not raise his taxes. Obama will cut taxes for the rest of us. I notice something recently. Since Palin is doing interviews with Fix News, I mean FOX news. Other reporters are trying to change their tone on the McCain Campaign. I think, they feel that writing positive words, will gain some future gratitude from Republican, with hope of getting a much sought after Palin interview. I think that if Palin does not want to interview, just report the news. I mean after her recent interviews, I never really hear anything news worthy that she said. Except for the fact that she said something at all. If that is the real story, there is no story there.
    Trump lost a lot of money lately, and stand to be protected from this bailout. Obama is the hope for the rest of us, and Biden is still my kind of guy. McCain has no answers at all.

21. Len in Washington

Where's the surprise here. One wierd old guy supporting another wierd old guy. Trump is completely irrelevant to everyone in the country except the people in New York City.

CNN.....Nobody out here in the real world cares about this egotistical jerk.

22. conatasustenamus

Wise move.
    There are ways and methods of improving the economy–that don't lead to stagnation (due to higher individual taxes for small business owners) and movement towards a more socialisti nation.

The "way left" and people who are not, nor have ever been in the work force–support the Obama campaign.

Take college students, people on pensions, retired professors, junior military, and a few small businesses out of the mix–and Obama's "real time" support dwindles.

The dream which makes America–the place people around the world desire to come...will evaporate under the "new socialism" ideals of Obama, Pelosi...and the Socialist Democratic Party of America.

23. Doug

I'm not surprised that anybody who has made a lot of money as the result of deregulated markets and the obviously flawed supply side economic philosophy is supporting McSame. But the vast majority of Americans are being taken to the cleaners. Can we, once and for all, declare supply side economics (a.k.a., Reagon-omics, Voodoo economics, trickle-down economics, and so on) a complete and utter failure!!!!

24. Lyn

Who the hell cares, Trump only endose McSame because of McSame tax plan it will benifet him, these rich people are not thinking of the poor and struggling trying to make ends meet every day, so give me a break and get loss. Go Obama & Biden you are for us.

25. Atlantan

If all of you wonderful negative people would take notice, Donald was one of Hillary's first main supporters. Now that she is out of the race, he has selected the most viable candidate. I believe I'll heed someone's advice who is smart enough to make millions and keep it in this economy.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14