September 18th, 2008

Trump endorses McCain

Trump also said Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin had rejuvenated the Republican Party.
Trump also said Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin had rejuvenated the Republican Party.

(CNN) – Real estate mogul Donald Trump is endorsing Sen. John McCain: “I’ve known him. I like him. I respect him. He’s a smart guy and I think he’s going to be a great president,” Trump said Wednesday night on CNN’s Larry King Live. “I endorse him.”

Watch: Trump backs McCain

Trump also had praise for McCain’s decision to pick Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate. “I think she’s made a tremendous impact. The impact that she has had on rejuvenating almost the Republican Party, it’s been unbelievable.”

Trump also confided that he did not know who Palin was before McCain asked her to join him on the GOP ticket. “As soon as we got to see her and watch her, everybody’s impressed,” said Trump. “That really is to John McCain’s credit. What he did in this choice is amazing. . . . It was a courageous choice.”

Trump may have announced his endorsement last night, but he voted with his pocketbook months ago; campaign finance records show Trump, who has donated to McCain for years, and gave the legal maximum to the Arizona senator in May. The same month, the members of Trump’s family — wife Melania Knauss and children Donald Jr, Ivanka and Eric — also gave McCain the maximum individual donation allowed under federal campaign finance laws.

The New York mogul — who said Wednesday night that McCain was winning, but it would be a “different race” if Hillary Clinton were Obama’s running mate — was also an early financial supporter of his home state senator’s presidential campaign.

Filed under: Donald Trump • John McCain
  1. PalinLiesTooMuch

This idiot is in it for him self more money for him if Mccain is elected, no body cares who this guy endorses he only got one vote like the rest of us.

September 18, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  2. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

I remember Donald Trump once quoting; "A person can never be too greedy." Trump benefited quite well from the legislation developed and voted into law by Phil Graham......and of course with McCain's support......

September 18, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  3. Tina

WOW......WHAT A SURPRISE........Who would have every thought that Donald Trump is not a part of the Good ole boys club.

YES WE CAN........BY THE REAL CHANGE MAKERS – OBAMA-BIDEN
    Not the FAKERS (John McBUSH and Sarah FAIL'N)

September 18, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  4. elsie

Trump endorses McCain. So? Just another super rich adulterer endorsing another. Next.

September 18, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  5. Disappointed

Pff, this Donald's companies had to file for bankruptcy. Hey Donald, did you see the mortgage crisis coming? Maybe you can advise McCain on economic matters since his deregulation supporter Gramm just lost his credibility.

September 18, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  6. Shannon, Independent Voter

Of course he is endorsing mccain, as one of the billionares that would have to pay his fair share of taxes. He wants someone who will not hold him accountable for paying what he owes.

While the rest of us working people have to pay for all these bailouts while the government is guaranteeing private investors/companies public bailouts. What the f–k is going on here. People like donald trump get tax write offs. Hey, I am struggling to pay my bills also, can the government bail me out.

September 18, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  7. Deb in Vegas

To: DEMOCRACYNOW2008:

"Trump should stick to what he knows Casino's not Election Politics."

Should Hollywood and the entertainment world stick to what they know and stay out of politics as well? Or does that opinion only apply to those who don't share the same political views as you.

September 18, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  8. Jeronimo!

I know for a fact that this guy has gold plated ceilings and knobs at his Manhattan, NY residence. GOLD PLATED CEILINGS!

The vanity of this man is astounding...

September 18, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  9. Mark

This endorsement should end the race....Obama wins.

September 18, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  10. Bill in CA

Whoever mentioned that the Monopoly guy would soon be coming forward with his McCain endorsement, I love you.

O.B.

September 18, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  11. Obama Supporter

I am not surprised. Donald has nothing better to do with his time. His reality show "The Apprentice" is the school for the heartless, ruthless, and unethical business tactics.

September 18, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  12. Rene

Let's see, the $28,000 per plate dinner given for Obama by Barbara Streisand and attended by Will Ferrell, Jodie Foster, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Lee Curtis and Steven Spielberg.

Your statements should be factual.

September 18, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  13. Steve

Everyone go read One More Thing's comment above. This is a fact. I just researched it myself. I have a sick child and McCain's plan will ruin me!!!!!!!

September 18, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  14. A concerned voter

Trump understands money, business and economy, in real life, while Obama is all talk, without actual exeprience. When the world economy and safety are in trouble, as a whole, I cannot trust some amateur like Obama. After all, this is the most powerful position in the world, it is the presidency of the United States of America.

September 18, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  15. SONGBIRD MCCAIN

TOO RISKY

NO WAY NO HOW NO MCCAIN NO PALIN

MCCAIN = BUSH = PALIN = MCCAIN = PALIN = BUSH = PALIN = MCCAIN = BUSH = PALIN = BUSH = MCCAIN = BUSH = MCCAIN = PALIN = BUSH = PALIN = MCCAIN MCCAIN = BUSH = PALIN = MCCAIN = PALIN = BUSH = PALIN = MCCAIN = BUSH = PALIN = BUSH = MCCAIN = BUSH = MCCAIN = PALIN = BUSH = PALIN = MCCAIN MCCAIN = BUSH = PALIN = MCCAIN = PALIN = BUSH = PALIN = MCCAIN = BUSH = PALIN = BUSH = MCCAIN = BUSH = MCCAIN = PALIN = BUSH = PALIN = MCCAIN MCCAIN = BUSH = PALIN = MCCAIN = PALIN = BUSH = PALIN = MCCAIN = BUSH = PALIN = BUSH = MCCAIN = BUSH = MCCAIN = PALIN = BUSH = PALIN = MCCAIN MCCAIN = BUSH = PALIN = MCCAIN = PALIN = BUSH = PALIN = MCCAIN = BUSH = PALIN = BUSH = MCCAIN = BUSH = MCCAIN = PALIN = BUSH = PALIN = MCCAIN

September 18, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  16. sm

HOW IS OBAMA GOING TO PAY FOR HIS UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE PLAN AND "TAX CUTS" WITH THIS ECONOMIC DOWN TURN.

September 18, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  17. Jews for obama------google palin and buchanan brigades

Trump is under no economic difficulty and can afford 4 more years of the failed economic philosophies.

I CANNOT!!

September 18, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  18. Corey

Which once again goes to Hillary Clinton's question: Were you voting for me because you believe in my policies or were you voting me, just for me?

September 18, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  19. Barack Obama

My supporters are really annoying on the internet. I think you all need change – for example, go out and make real-life friends.

I'm Barack Obama, and I endorse this message.

September 18, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  20. 250K+ club

Of course he does, he doesn't want any part of those Obama taxes on his loot!!

September 18, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  21. Nimi from NY

The rich growing richer and the poor poorer. What a suprise. Where have we heard that before? Bush presidency. Trump is one of those money moguls who thrives at using the poor to make himself rich. How in the world do you think he's going to give that up. None. But he's in for the shock of his life when Obama wins.

September 18, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  22. liz

BIG DEAL. He can help Mccain sell a few homes.Trump is one of the biggest whinners. We need Rosanne to comment on this one.

September 18, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  23. Stacy from Loudoun County, VA

I am glad Mr. Trump exercised his first amandment rights. It is wonderful seeing freedom of speech being used. Now, this being newsworthy? Probably not.

September 18, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  24. Ellie

PUH – leeeeeze.

GO GET A HAIR CUT, THAT RUG ON YOUR HEAD IS DESTROYING ANY BRAIN CELLS YOU HAVE LEFT DONALD DUCK!!!

September 18, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  25. Apprentice

Have fun with you tax increase Donald when Obama gets elected!

September 18, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |