September 19th, 2008

Obama-Biden surrogate mocks Palin

A supporter of Obama-Biden got tough on Palin Thursday.
A supporter of Obama-Biden got tough on Palin Thursday.

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (CNN) – An Ohio mayor who introduced Joe Biden at a rally Thursday night said Sarah Palin’s hometown of Wasilla, Alaska was “not the real world.”

“One of the things that bothers me is the fact that Governor Palin talks about she's ready to be the Vice President because she's been a mayor.” said Jay Williams, the Democratic-turned-independent mayor of Youngstown. “I’ve never been to Wasilla, but I’m sure it’s a nice little town, In fact it’s so little we could invite them all to sit down in [Youngstown’s] Chevrolet Centre and probably still have room left over.”

“I would love to be the mayor of Wasilla,” he continued. “I could probably do it from my home and not show up to work too often because in Wasilla, they don’t have a crime problem. There were two homicides in Wasilla in the last 13 years.”

Williams added that the average Wasilla income and price for a home are above the national average.

“The education, they have small student/teacher ratios,” said Williams. “That’s not the world that we live in ladies and gentlemen, you all know that here in the real world, we have to deal with issues of crime, and poverty, and education. That’s what happens.”

Before Williams moved on to why he is a fan of Biden’s, he took one last swipe at the notion that Palin claims foreign policy experience because Alaska’s proximity to Russia, an argument offered up by McCain.

“That would be the equivalent of me wanting to do your heart surgery because I live next door to a doctor,” said Williams. “It just doesn't add up. Being mayor is a very good preparation for a lot of things, even potentially being vice president. But only if you're the mayor and have to deal with real world issues.”

Barack Obama and Joe Biden have both refrained from saying much, if anything, about Sarah Palin on the stump - their go-to line is they don’t know enough about her to differentiate her from John McCain.

But some of the surrogates introducing them at rallies have been less restrained; earlier this week, a Michigan supporter introducing Biden at an event called Palin a “bucket of fluff.”

1. Deb

We have a future with McCain/Palin and if Obama/Biden get in, we are destined for failure. Obama does not know anything about our country, other than what is written for him. If he did not have his script in front of him, he would be lost. Can not wait for the debates and watch him stumble all over himself.

September 19, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  2. Melissa

Palin has been a mayor and is now a governor. Biden has been a senator. What exactly has he had total responsibility for? This man has said that Hillary Clinton would be a better Vice President than he would. Shouldn't the party just switch to talking about their plan for the future and stop throwing slams that they can't hope to win?

September 19, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  3. Richard --- Rockingham, NC

The gorilla from Wasilla is no match is for Joe Biden !!!!

September 19, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  4. One Nation Under God

Another African American in support of Senator Obama; how surprising!!!

Well, Mayor Jay Williams you should not be one to belittle a job of another Mayor.

Maybe you sir should be more concerned with your own city and explain the following:
    'Once elected Mayor, Jay has failed to create a joint economic development district (J.E.D.D.) with surrounding townships, after attempting a J.E.D.D. with Boardman Township, Austintown Township and Liberty Township. The townships surrounding Youngstown continue to stand firm against his "income tax for water" ideas, and in doing so continue to keep youngstown in financial turmoil.'

It would be advisible to have your own city in control before remarking on the role of another Mayor.

Let the truth be told.

McCain/Palin 2008

September 19, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  5. BK

He is comparing her to a mayor, like Obama did. She is a Gov. How dumb do they think we are?

Obama- I don't want a president that tells their supporters to 'get in peoples face and argue with them to vote for him.' This election has turned into bullying, criticizing, and demeaning people. This is Chicago style thug politics. This is not what the American people want in a leader.

September 19, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  6. JusLaugh

It's about time someone stood up and made this argument!
    Fitting that it was a mayor from a city that is in "the real world" that drew the sharp contrasts.

September 19, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  7. Bulldog

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

Now we have to wait for the radical Sarah lovers to cry sexism....5-4-3-2....

September 19, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  8. Kay

I'm a little confused. Let me see if I have this straight... (I hope
    I'm not
    offending anyone)

If you grow up in Hawaii, raised by your grandparents, you're 'exotic,
    different.'

Grow up in Alaska eating moose burgers, a quintessential American story.

If your name is Barack you're a radical, unpatriotic Muslim.

Name your kids Willow, Trig and Track, you're a maverick.

Graduate from Harvard law School and you are unstable.

Attend 5 different small colleges before graduating, you're well grounded.

If you spend 3 years as a brilliant community organizer, become the
    firstblack President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter registration
    drivethat registers 150,000 new voters, spend 12 years as a Constitutional Law
    professor, spend 8 years as a State Senator representing a district with over
    750,000 people, become chairman of the state Senate's Health and Human
    Services committee, spend 4 years in the United States Senate representing a
    stateof 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the
    Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs
    committees, you don'thave any real leadership experience.

If your t otal resume is: local weather girl, 4 years on the city counciland 6
    years as the mayor of a town with less than 7,000 people, 20 months asthe
    governor of a state with only 650,000 people, then you're qualified tobecome
    the country's second highest ranking executive.

If you have been married to the same woman for 19 years while raising 2
    beautiful daughters, all within Protestant churches, you're not a real
    Christian.

If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and left your
    disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you're a Christian.

If you teach responsible, age appropriate sex education, including theproper
    use of birth control, you are eroding the fiber of society.

If, while governor, you staunchly advocate abstinence only, with no
    otheroption in sex education in your state's school system while your unwed
    teen daughter ends up pregnant, you're very responsible.

If your wife is a Harvard graduate lawyer who gave up a position in a
    prestigious law firm to work for the betterment of her inner city community,
    then gave that up to raise a family, your family's values don't represent
    America's.

If you're husband is nicknamed 'First Dude', with at least oneDWI conviction
    and no college education, who didn't register to vote until age 25 andonce was
    a member of a group that advocated the secession of Alaska from the USA,your
    family is extremely admirable.

OK, much clearer now
    ___________________________________

September 19, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  9. Pathetic Palin

I am ready I am ready I am ready – If you want to test my foreign policy credentials, ask me about any country you want and stump me. CHILDISH.

September 19, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  10. NO MCCAIN/PALIN

REAL STRAIGHT TALK!!!!
    HEY PALIN/REPUBLICANS, THE TRUTH HURTS!!!!!!

September 19, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  11. McCain for Pres.

Mock, mock, mock, Democrats are very afraid. They are running against people who don't just talk but have actions to back what they say.

September 19, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  12. Candi

It is nice to know that others can speak out and not hurt Obama and Biden. The Repubs like to call cheap talk or shots at then because they have no other way to deal with Obama. People this is the real deal today, John picked Sarah because she was a beauty queen runner up but didn't take the crown. An Africian girl took her crown.

September 19, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  13. Independent Voter from California

Not to mention that Palin has lied about her record. She claims to be fiscally conservative, yet raised taxes to build a hockey stadium! She claims to have opposed to bridge to nowhere – but she forgot to mention that she supported it until it became unpopular. And then there's the ethics investigation she refuses to cooperate with........ for the sake of this nation, I hope this clown named Palin never makes it anywhere near the White House.

September 19, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  14. Chris

Hey I used live in Adak Alaska when I was twelve and we were approx. 45 miles from Russia, I've been to Germany (4years) Korea (1) stopped over in Japan, Guam, 30 days in the Philippines, I guess I could say I have more Foreign experience than Falin, McSame I would make a better VP, though I've never been Mayor of a small town.

Repub ticket = McSame Falin Policies of Bush administration

September 19, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  15. Wake Up Zombies!!!

I don't know that this is helpful but it is the truth.

September 19, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  16. Obama is REAL Change

"Palin claims foreign policy experience because Alaska’s proximity to Russia, an argument offered up by McCain", he also bragged about she played basketball in high school. I don't know if McCain 26 years of experience is an indication of how he will JOKE about the important issues if he is elected into the White House, but he and Palin thinks this is such a FUN and FULL of LIES Campaign. To those of us who struggle day after day, we Can’t find the reason for our economy to be in such a shamble to be such a JOYFUL occasion.

This may be the WAY it's done in the small town of Wasilla, Alaska, but here in the BIG important states, we take this as a VERY serious matter.

September 19, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  17. andy baxter

So using just a tad of logic here the Mayor is saying that Wasilla does not have a crime problem because Palin is Mayor which infers that Youngstow has a crime problem because of Mayor Williams. That is how William's message reads... What would the good folks of Youngstown think? I would be looking for the next Palin to be my Mayor. I want to be like Wasilla according to Mayor Williams.

September 19, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  18. obama/biden supporter

The fact is, is that more and more people are beginning to see through her "celebrity" status and are realizing that she has no clue. the best thing to do would be for all of us just to ignore her (that includes the media) that way no one pays her any attention and she can just be forgotten.

having every story/topic be about her just gives her more face time and for those out there that dont know about the stances on policy by the candidates, and those who dont care to know – all they need is face recognition to decide who to vote for.

I'm so sick of Palin and McCain that I cant even stand to hear them spew vile filth from their mouths – it makes me cringe and I just cant do it anymore.

I'll be glad when Nov 4 has come and gone and we no longer have to think about McCain/Palin – let alone GW Bush

September 19, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  19. Palin Power

Palin 2012

September 19, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  20. Clinton/Obama supporter

Being mayor of a tiny town no more qualifies Palin to be VP than having a game of catch in my backyard qualifies me to play for the Cubs.

September 19, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  21. I'll take 4 more years of "Bush" vs Obama!!

All Biden and Obama do is go out on the stump and mock McCain and Palin. They should be doing the Comedy Central channel instead!! Biden is a pathetic blowhard. "Look,............. "

September 19, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  22. Andy

"...because in Wasilla, they don’t have a crime problem. There were two homicides in Wasilla in the last 13 years.”

“The education, they have small student/teacher ratios,” said Williams.

OK let me get this straight. According to the mayor of Youngstown, Wasilla sounds like a lot better place to live than Youngstown. Maybe the Youngstown mayor should go up to Alaska and see how they do things up there so Youngstown has better schools, higher valued homes and less crime. You know, like Wasilla.

September 19, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  23. ALECO -----NOKOMIS,FL

THERE IS A NEW POLL OUT THAT SAYS MORE MEN WOULD LIKE TO WATCH FOOTBALL WITH OBAMA THAN WITH McCAIN, I AGREE WITH THAT POLL.
    BUT WHEN IT COMES TO SARAH POLIN, I WOULD RATHER CLEAN MY SEPTIC TANK THAN WATCH A FOOTBALL GAME WITH HER.

September 19, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  24. WOMEN FOR OBAMA

Obama – Biden '08 & '12!

DEMOCRATS UNITE!!!

September 19, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  25. Shari, NY

This VP wannabe is a joke. Now, if McCain was on the gong show he would have been hauled off in a minute. He is mixed up as regards his stance on the economy. Latinos, please take note, he is even more geographically challenged where Mexico and Spain are concerned.

September 19, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |