September 19th, 2008

Sen. Mikulski: Democratic women wear lipstick too

Mikulski is a supporter of Barack Okbama.
Mikulski is a supporter of Barack Okbama.

STERLING, Virginia (CNN) – Firing up supporters at a women’s rally with Joe Biden in Virginia Friday, Sen. Barbara Mikulski told the crowd, “Democratic women, we wear lipstick too!” referring to Sarah Palin’s now-famous joke that the difference between a pitbull and a hockey mom is lipstick.

“You and I know that we women in America are mad as hell and we don’t want to take it anymore,” the spirited Maryland senator said. “I’m here today to say to you, we’ve got to get ready here, ok? Women, square your shoulders. Women, Democratic women, we wear lipstick too!”

“We don’t need another George Bush in earrings being the No. 2 spot,” Mikulski added.

Taking the stage, Biden thanked Mikulski, saying “They asked me could I handle Sarah Palin? I said, 'try debating Barbara Mikulski!'”

The Delaware senator focused his remarks on women's issues, saying that demographic is the most affected in an economic downturn.

“We're going to change that because here's the deal, we've got to restore both the protections and the dignity,” said Biden, “Because when the economy goes south, it's women who go, whether they're making minimum wage or working for a major corporation.”

Biden also said that on a conference call with Barack Obama and their economic advisors that morning, billionaire investor Warren Buffet told the group, “the last hundred days of the Bush administration are like the first 100 days of the FDR administration,” referring to the Great Depression.

Biden argued that the Federal Reserve and the Treasury need to be given emergency authority so people can stay in their homes and keep their savings. He added that part of the solution is ending “the cowboy mentality of the Bush and McCain era,” saying “they have worshipped at the shrine of deregulation.”

1. Annette

Oh know that's right!
    Obama/Biden08

September 19, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  2. oswanegan

I always hope that Biden won't say something to blow the DEMs chances this fall, but I love his upfront humor and wit. Go get'm Joe

Obama|Biden '08

September 19, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  3. C W

One of the big reasons McCain picked Palin is because he was told to by his advisors, among them Karl Rove. The plan? Another empty vessel in the White House, a puppet who will unthinkingly do whatever the real power wants, to benefit their select group at the expense of the American people.

McCain has sold his soul; Palin is a dip like Bush. Both are empty, both will do what they're told.

We don't need another eight years of this nonsense.

September 19, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  4. Lesley

Thank you for reporting at least a small part of Biden's great speech. Too bad it didn't garner the same headlines as the sports comment, but I guess that kind of reporting brings up your ratings CNN. I'm glad I won't be at home tonight to watch your political team play up the football comment and completely ignore this speech and its message.

September 19, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  5. Jerry Ohio

I watch women for Obama rally in Miami Coral Gables it was awsome to see how many women for Obama it was great...Dont listen to news network telling people women are going for McCain that a lie it more are crossing over to support Obama and Biden

September 19, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  6. MD in ND

Joe Biden is more "Pro-Woman" then Palin. He's fought for woman's rights and Obama/Biden will be there for us. Sometimes it doesn't always take a woman to speak for us. Their spouses are examples of the great choice they made.

September 19, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  7. forever3

You call this News!! What a waste of time.

September 19, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  8. Listen Up...

I'm running out of reasons why anyone who vote for McCain, Iwpn't mention the "elephant". Unless it's:

1. Obsession with his POW story, want to hear it again and again.

2. Thinks he's hot, can't wait to hear him do the state of the union.

3. Likes the uncertainty of his memory, he's so unpredictable.

4.Keep hearing about that explosive temper and would like to see it in action-given 4 years at the white house something is bound to set him off.

5.Palin's voice is like nails on a chalkboard, love that sound!

6. Can make a killing in vegas betting which way he'll flip or flop.

7. Money is no object, throw it all away.

Somebody help me please, I'm sure I forgot something.

September 19, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  9. Dave, Illinois

Old Democrat crows are scared that the era of bitter feminism is closing.

September 19, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  10. McCain Invented the BlackBerry, Palin Invented the Manure Spreader

John McCain invented lipstick.

September 19, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  11. Jim

I like Sen. Mikulski's firey spirit and energy – I'm of Polish-American heritage too. Putting aside the lipstick humor, it's clear this election has reached a tipping point. Most Americans will say "no third term" to the Bush/Cheney/McCain/Palin and Phil Gramm policies that have brought ruin at home and abroad! A $1 trillion war and a $1 trillion economic bailout. It's that simple, folks.

September 19, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  12. Truth for Obama 08

well
    well
    its ON now

September 19, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  13. Silence Dogood

Now just imagine if McCain or anyone not-Obama making a comment about lipstick on a pig after this. There would condemnation across the board – news media, talking heads, Obama fans claiming sexism, rending their garments, and naming every evil thing leading up to the end of civilization.

But when Obama did it: What's wrong with calling a woman a pig?

September 19, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  14. Patrick, Fairfield, CA

Sen. Mikulski appears to be quite the fire-starter with lipstick! Obviously she's not a fan of Gov. Palin and not fooled by her style. An article on the ticker yesterday stated Joe Biden seem to always have trouble attracting media attention – somewhat suggesting that the VP candidate has no flare or style. Well, that much can be inferred. But Joe has substance. And Big Daddy Biden will show that substance when he wipes the floor with Palin during their debate on October 2nd!

September 19, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  15. DB

Lesley, I couldn't agree with you more. Joe is out there every single day doing one, two, three gigs and yet he barely gets a nod because....well, we know why....I can't even bring myself to type the woman's name....

September 19, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  16. Rick

Ugghh....speaking of lipstick on a pig.

September 19, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  17. Sarah

Ugh!!!!

September 19, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  18. Voice of Reason = Obama/Biden

I think it's great that Joe Biden is not a media magnet like Palin. When he eats her alive at the debate, people will think he came out of nowhere.

September 19, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  19. NO-NO-NO

G O O D--–R E A S O N---F O R---T E R M---L I M I T S

September 19, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  20. Amy

Let's see Warren Buffet in a commercial for Obama/Biden!! Oh wait, that might be seen as elitist even though it would show he believes in the direction Obama wants to take us since he would most certainly pay higher taxes in an Obama administration...

September 19, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  21. Angela

Gotta love Joe Biden.......he is not shy to speak his mind........that's who we need as VP........too boot he has REAL FOREIGN POLICY EXPERIENCE ....... he will not say that his foreign policy consists of being able to see Russia from his window!

September 19, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  22. Shannon

I can say this will be the first time in 30 years I will be voting for a Republican. I'm ashamed to say that the candidate that the DNC picked seems to hold women in complete disdain. Why Obama needs to demean women and tell lies about his opponents record is a mystery to me. McCain did not vote against equal pay for women, he didn't vote. Obama should know all about not showing up to vote. I tell my daughter how true Democrats behave toward women, and explain to her how Obama will be a huge step backward for women. Go to senate.gov to see how he votes, he is no friend to women!

September 19, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  23. Griff

I never said they didn't... But their is a Difference between a Women, and just another Groupy for Obama.... Some Women believe in Indipedence... Women, for Women!

September 19, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  24. Jim in San Jose

Go Barbara. I love the Bush in earrings comment. The electoral map changed this week towards McCain, but next week it will swing hard towards Obama. The economic crisis has yet to hit home, but it will in 4 to 6 weeks when the fallout from Wall Street, causes trenches in Main Street. It's not over yet, not by a long shot.

September 19, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  25. naomi, al

where is my comment at? CNN you guys have to start giving Joe Biden his do. I like him, he is a little corny at times, but he is smart and he knows what he's talking about. It seems like you only like Pailn who has no subsance and wont talk to even of you. So why keep waisting your time. Hillary where the hell are you? Your disappointing me, your showing yourself to be selfish. If the Democrats want the white house back, its high time to kick it up a notch. All the women in politics need to get off there buts and start speaking out.

September 19, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |