September 21st, 2008

SNL mocks McCain-Palin for second-straight week

Darrell Hammond portrayed McCain on SNL Saturday night.
Darrell Hammond portrayed McCain on SNL Saturday night.

(CNN) - Saturday Night Live, the longtime NBC sketch comedy show that has arguably wielded significant influence this presidential election season, skewered the McCain-Palin ticket for the second straight week in a row Saturday.

In the show’s opening sketch, a Darrell Hammond impersonation of John McCain is shown in an advertising studio recording his tagline for a bevy of negative - and ridiculously false - campaign ads. The ads level such allegations as Barack Obama wants healthcare coverage for the entire universe (including Osama bin Laden) and supports tax cuts for pedophiles.

The sketch also takes a dig at McCain's age, portraying the Arizona senator as unfamiliar with digital recording technology (After he is told it is a new technology McCain says, "Like 8-track?")

Politico reported Saturday the sketch was actually conceived by former SNL writer Al Franken, the current Democratic challenger to Norm Coleman's Minnesota Senate seat.

SNL has already proven its ability to crystallize emerging campaign narratives this election cycle, widely credited with raising a general perception the media was in love with Obama during the primary election season in a series of sketches last winter. SNL's portrayal of Sarah Palin last weekend also synthesized several questions raised about the Alaska governor's readiness to serve as vice president.

With a weekly viewership stretching into the millions that reaches a swath of (mostly young) voters who aren't as closely following the ins and outs on the campaign trail, SNL has a clear ability to shape general perceptions of both presidential tickets in the final stretch of the race for the White House.

Responding to SNL's depiction of McCain, spokesman Tucker Bounds said, "Saturday Night Live is funny, Barack Obama showing no sign of life or leadership during a banking crisis is not funny."

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Jim

Why doesn't the democratic side listen to how hateful they are.
    So much has been blamed on the Republicans, and the House and Senate have been lead by the Dems' for many years now and have more control on what decided then the President.

September 21, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  2. KO

It was a great bit. McCain and Palin think they can lie their way into the White House...hopefully the American people will see it for what it is.

September 21, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  3. TiredofPalin

The fact of the matter is, Palin herself provides so much material for any comedian. The SNL skit on Palin referenced her own words – that's the best part. SNL didn't even need to make any of it up!! I can't wait until SNL mocks her meetings with foreign heads of states. Hopefully, SNL beats the rest of the world to mocking her. The entire world knows what a joke she is...

September 21, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  4. Kirk in upstate New York

Darrell Hammond is very good at what he does! The impact of SNL on the general populous could potentially sway enough of those crucial voters. i agree with SNK politics so this doesn't represent a problem for me, however i could understand frustration on behalf of the home-schooling, creationist, Republican, abstinence faring voters....but how many of them would be watching SNL!

You go Lorne!

September 21, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  5. Mike

Willing to resort to blatant lies to meet their objectives. Sound familiar? A McCain administration would be just at dishonest and incompetent as the Bush administration.

And Palin? Requiring her state advisors to use personal email rather than government emails for state communications. Palin would be just as secretive and opaque as Cheney.

McCain/Palin ... still samein' when they ought to be changin'

September 21, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  6. bluezee

Will they continue "raising a general perception the media was in love with Obama" or have they abandoned that now that Hillary is out of the race?

September 21, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  7. Amelia

Apparently Obama is clean as can be and has zero flaws...this is the 2nd week SNL has ripped the republicans, which just tells me who the writers/staff want you to vote for. I'm so sick of the media and cannot wait for this election to be over with!

September 21, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  8. Fred

Better headline to fit the facts: The 2008 version of McCain mocks the 2000 version of McCain

... with his lying, pandering, smearing divisive ads and his inability to remember his own flips, flops and lies well enough to do even ONE interview without gaffs.

September 21, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  9. Joe

SNL-They are not biased at all. No really. They are unbiased. They speak the truth. Seriously.

Mitchell, I guess you are "getting in their face" like "The One" told you that you must do?

"Path of destruction" sounds like old Politburo language to me. Communism is so 1980s...

September 21, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  10. Ryan

"With a weekly viewership stretching into the millions that reaches a swath of (mostly young) voters who aren't as closely following the ins and outs on the campaign trail"

Please, this election is just as important to us young voters as it is to older, more "in tune" voters.

September 21, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  11. Dee Garland, Tx

The McCain/Palin ticket is a joke, only it won't be funny for our country if they are elected.

September 21, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  12. Mark, NC

I'm John McCain and I want to talk about the issues that help me win. My friends, the truth is in the eye of the beholder and I tell tell it as I bend it to meet my needs.

September 21, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  13. Kevin

Typical liberal media bias, good fun though

September 21, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  14. No Way, No How, No BHO!

This is news? CNN...the most BIASED name in news...

Oh, go ahead and moderate all day....It's directed at you anyway.

McCain/Palin '08-the ONLY real ticket!

September 21, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  15. Anonymous

I don't find this hard to believe at all. Especially now, when McCain is stealing Obama's line the "He just doesn't get it". McCain is right – McCain doesn't get it!

September 21, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  16. Marie

Al Frankin who is my choice for Senate helped write this skit, I don't think that was a good idea. Norm Coleman who opposes Frankin in MN, is already using his SNL background against him. Frankin is the best choice, he should just avoid things like this. Michelle as far as your comment about leading us down the path to destruction, Obama was in the senate, and did nothing to help us out of the mess we are in. He missed more votes in the senate than any other senator, and when he did vote it was usually present. Even now he is planning on voting present on the bail out that will keep are financial markets running. The man can take a stand on nothing, we need a leader not someone who sits on the fence!

September 21, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  17. Portland

All of this effort by the media and pop broadcast culture trying to force the Democratic candidate down our throats has backfired for me. I'm disappointed by the obvious manipulation.

September 21, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  18. NGANGA,Austin TX

I don't even know what to think of any American that could vote for Mccain.
    Seriously!

September 21, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  19. Will, NJ

So what? My neighbor made fun of McCain's age, are you going to do a report on him to?

September 21, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  20. Hannah Stevens

I am just waiting to hear about the McCain/Keating scandal where McCain supported a measure n congress to suppress the audit of Charles Keating S&L, that eventually failed costing people millions in losses of retirement moneys. Similar to what is happening today and McCain was a central figure. Congress censured him but that was all. it seems that McCain like bush has led a charmed life with daddy bailing him out often. McCain is sleaze, there is no other word for it.

September 21, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  21. chris

In my opinion CNN is slightly biased in Obama's favor.

September 21, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  22. Susan

This is funny and so true. McCain is like Pinnochio – his nose grows longer by the second! He is even stealing another line from obama – "He just doesn't get it". McCain is right – McCain just doesn't get it!

September 21, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  23. Anonymous

Perhaps you should get over the starry eyed appeal of Obama. I guess I am just a BIBLE clutching gun shooting christian who thinks he is the worst thing that could ever happen to our country. If he is elected this country will be even further removed from god.

September 21, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  24. Ron

Where's the Barack sketches? I would think if a show doesn't want to show its partisanship, it would be certain to do sketches on both candidates. But I guess idiots like Chevy Chase and Al Franken don't want to see that happen. Are they really for free speech, I wonder? I'm a reporter and have an editorial cartoon in my newspaper every week. While I am a strong Republican, Republicans should be criticized a time or two and I strive to pick cartoons hitting one candidate one week and a different candidate the next week. I should do that. Why the media doesn't get it anymore, they forget our job is to just give you the news from both perspectives. And you as the reader, in my case, can decide from there. And here's an example of how it appears a show called SNL wants you to vote democrat. My problem comes when shows and the media force their opinions down my throat. Where has ethics gone in the media and television shows in this country....?

September 21, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  25. Jordan

this sketch was so stupid. I really liked last weeks with Tina Fey, I thought that that was done really well, but this weeks was just disappointing. SNL isnt the show it used to be. I stopped watching after the opening sketch because the show isnt funny without people like Tina Fey and Maya Rudoplh.

September 21, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |