September 21st, 2008

SNL mocks McCain-Palin for second-straight week

Darrell Hammond portrayed McCain on SNL Saturday night.
Darrell Hammond portrayed McCain on SNL Saturday night.

(CNN) - Saturday Night Live, the longtime NBC sketch comedy show that has arguably wielded significant influence this presidential election season, skewered the McCain-Palin ticket for the second straight week in a row Saturday.

In the show’s opening sketch, a Darrell Hammond impersonation of John McCain is shown in an advertising studio recording his tagline for a bevy of negative - and ridiculously false - campaign ads. The ads level such allegations as Barack Obama wants healthcare coverage for the entire universe (including Osama bin Laden) and supports tax cuts for pedophiles.

The sketch also takes a dig at McCain's age, portraying the Arizona senator as unfamiliar with digital recording technology (After he is told it is a new technology McCain says, "Like 8-track?")

Politico reported Saturday the sketch was actually conceived by former SNL writer Al Franken, the current Democratic challenger to Norm Coleman's Minnesota Senate seat.

SNL has already proven its ability to crystallize emerging campaign narratives this election cycle, widely credited with raising a general perception the media was in love with Obama during the primary election season in a series of sketches last winter. SNL's portrayal of Sarah Palin last weekend also synthesized several questions raised about the Alaska governor's readiness to serve as vice president.

With a weekly viewership stretching into the millions that reaches a swath of (mostly young) voters who aren't as closely following the ins and outs on the campaign trail, SNL has a clear ability to shape general perceptions of both presidential tickets in the final stretch of the race for the White House.

Responding to SNL's depiction of McCain, spokesman Tucker Bounds said, "Saturday Night Live is funny, Barack Obama showing no sign of life or leadership during a banking crisis is not funny."

Filed under: John McCain • Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. lavonne

I am so, so, tried of hearing mc cain. i turn off the tv. I am so worried that if mc cain gets in this country will go down the tubes. i am worried more for my grand children, i am 69, white and have a cushion. nc cain seems to have to many melt downs,and i don;t care what doctors say our minds are not as sharp as we age and he displays this, and for her to take over would give me nightmares.
    american better wake up, and understand whats at stake, we will be living with this for years. you think the money situation is bad, just put mc cain in the white house. YOU AIN;T SEEN NOTHING YET!!!!!!!

September 21, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  2. JO

Young people ... (new and old voters) GET YOUR heads out of the sand! Nobama is only good at giving speeches. He has NO track record and is nothing but a lot of hot air leading us into higher taxes and open to more terrorism!

September 21, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  3. David

Why does the mainstream media refuse to address the blatantly false campaign adds or better refuse to air them. It couldn’t have anything to do with greed.

September 21, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  4. James

It was a great skit!

September 21, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  5. richard michalski

McCain is an easy target because he is white I want to see if any of these so-called comedians will have the balls to make fun of Obama. You can bet whoever does will be labeled a racist

September 21, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  6. Rock n Rollers For McCain

Obama is the party of Jackson (Jesse), and Sharpton and Kilpatrick (Kwame) and McKinney. The party of baby killers. The party of gay marriage. The party of TAKE....not earn.

We're just about to get ramped up folks...Obama is going to lose by a landslide. White America is just playing with the polls just now. When the time comes to pull the lever...Obama is toast.

It's going to take more than Hollywood, the media and blacks to elect BHO.

September 21, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  7. Isaac

This is just amazing. I love NBC. Hahaha

September 21, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  8. Roxanne

Boy did they do a good job on this. This is exactly how crazy and desperate McCain's ads have become. No truth to them, but he still approves them.

September 21, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  9. Danny

Actually, I thought It was pretty funny!!....BUT REMEMBER..it WAS "conceived" by Al Franken. He's the hate mongering, ANGRY LIBERAL, with no credibility, who moved back to Minnesota after 35 years just to run for U. S. Senate. The SAME Al ( done nothing) Franken who happens to be a good friend of Lorne Michaels!!!!.....

The skit was great...and THAT's where Mr. "Pay no Taxes" belongs....AS A SKIT WRITER!!!

September 21, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. Jasmine in Germany

Oh, I don't mind the skit, it seems to be based on quite a few truths. I don't understand how McCain can say "I'm John McCain and I approve this message" on his ads which contain so many untruths. So maybe I feel a little Schadenfreude because I have lost repsect for McCain long ago.

It is however disturbing that so many people will allow images and comments on television to sway their opinions without have researched the issues, consult with their own ideas, opinions, etc. We just get spoon fed by TV instead of being independent thinkers and reading more.

September 21, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. The Informer

I am so very proud of SNL for doing this skit. The American people have all been taken in by Palin's personality, and, how she is a "homegirl," Just wish that people would really read and find out the "policies" of this "spectacular" duo. And, realize, too, that they actually have no policy whatever. Keeping the Bush tax cuts permanent. Hello, this is how all of the states are suffering. They keep spending, and cutting taxes. They need to follow Bill Clinton's way of spend as you go–if there is no money for it, then don't spend it!!!

September 21, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  12. Florida Independent

So true, the "straight talk" express is anything but. Seems that they GOP can only spew half truths and total lies. Many times I've noticed that Obama attacks McCain using his own words. McCains position on the issues are in a constant flux, ever changing. Now Sarah Palin lack of experience makes her an "outsider" well the same can be said of Obama right?

I want to be an astronaut my qualification is: I can see the moon from my house! Pathetic indeed.

September 21, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  13. Pete

Its just satire, are people so stupid they vote based on an SNL skit. If anything it just shows how much the media and hollywood are in the tank for Obama. It actually hurts Obama because people see right through it and always vote against the media and hollywood. They will be standing around scratching their heads after the lose the election because they are so self important that they cannot believe everyone doesn't think the way they do. They will never get it and will keep losing until they nominate a normal candidate that appeals to the majority of Americans.

September 21, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  14. Concerned Citizen

Thank you, SNL, for cutting through the b.s. and so deftly showing how ridiculous the McCain-Palin campaign is. It's a joke, so what better way to show it than through...jokes? I am tuning in every week for a cathartic laugh, since most of the week I'm cringing and crying with the horror that is the Republican ticket, and what could possibly be the worst duo to run the best nation in the world. If they win, I just hope SNL broadcasts in Canada.

September 21, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  15. Kathy from Phoenix

I LOVE IT!!! How many more SNL shows before election day??? I'm sure the skits will get better and better. Troopergate may be showing up soon as well. Who will play Todd Palin?

September 21, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  16. George

I am all for political satire. However, this skit wasn't even funny.

Also, I am still waiting for the skit where Obama and Rev. Wright are preaching a sermon together... Now that would be fun watch.

September 21, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  17. rcbr

Face it – McCain and Palin are a ridiculous political duo. It's a gold mine for SNL.

September 21, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  18. cecil

Remeber GOP Have A Since Of Humor!

September 21, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  19. Montana is Obama Country

I watched .. it was funny & dull like McCain..

I can't wait to see the comedy skeet with McCain & Palin..

I mean – Tina Fey & Darrell Hammond ... hahahha.. that'll be good!

Obama/Biden... 2008, 2012

September 21, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  20. Danny in Chicago

The whole world is falling apart on the republicans watch! They have had by far the most power in making this disaster happen whether they acknowledge this or not. Thank you Ronald Reagan for maiking the conservatives so powerful the last 30 years or so – this disaster has you and your cronies names all over it. We the people are cleaning up after your stinking mess, so at the very least, let us make a little fun and practice the one thing we have left – FREEDOM OF SPEECH!

I love how the republicans try to say the current congress is responsible (or even Barack Obama) for this mess. That's just so hilarious! Too bad this situation is so serious, or I'd really be laughing. You fu***ng Republicans screwed this up! Take responsibility for it!

We want some accountability!!!

You people better be careful with our money or you might have to come up with some more money to rebuild the White House after we TEAR IT DOWN!

September 21, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  21. hitobito

If the country is stupid enough to elect McCain/Palin, we will deserve exactly what has happened over the past 7 plus years with even more tax breaks for the very rich and corporations. We will also have a religious zealot who is unprepared for national or foreign policy decisions one heartbeat away from the Presidency. SNL can make a joke about McCain, but this country will go further down the tubes with McCain and Palin. Palin cannot even keep her teenaged daughter from getting pregnant or encourage her oldest son to pursue higher education...and she's prepared to lead this country. No bloody way!

September 21, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  22. Nancy Clifford

Age does matter. When I hear McCain address a group as "my friends" I think get that old guy off the stage. I'm reminded of gatherings where, my father, trying to stress a position in a discussion, would call another old geezer "my friend" when I knew full well he was just trying to make nice and never regarded the "friend" as someone he'd pay attention to. Once out the door he would skewer the guy. McCain is insincere in his positions and probably doubles over with laughter after the speechs are finished, thinking he put one over on us once again. Help!!! We need a leader with some young brain cells.

September 21, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  23. Tainopower

“Raising taxes is not patriotic.”

September 21, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. Puma-SF

It is the Obama camp who is out of touch. Obama is not qualified to be president no more today then he was the day he announced. The man has had his hand out and every turn. Only Chris Dodd (the head of the banking committee) has taken more. Obama's financial advisors Franklin Raines and Jim Johnson have made tens of millions of dollars. Obama has to be the dirtiest politician EVER for being such a junior senator. I do not trust him and I no longer see any difference between the two parties. McCain and Palin will reform Washington. Obama is more of the same.

September 21, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  25. Matt

it really was a pretty accurate depiction of his ads.

September 21, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |