September 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton: Hillary didn't want the vice presidency

(CNN) – Sitting on a couch shmoozing the ladies of The View on Monday, Bill Clinton said Hillary didn’t want to be Barack Obama’s running mate, but that she would have taken the job if she was asked.

“She would have been the best politically, at least in the short run, because of her enormous support [in] the country,“ Clinton said. “She said 'If he asks, I’ll do it because it’s my duty.'”

Clinton praised Biden and said he was a “good choice.” He said he had “no real opinion” on whether or not she should have been his running mate, but that the decision is personal and that he chose to stay out of it completely.

Clinton praised John McCain for his time spent as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, and said the Arizona senator had been the only Republican candidate this year who could win the election, but predicted that Obama will win in November because of the state of the economy.

“I've made everyone in the world mad in this election,” Clinton said. “But I genuinely like both of them. I genuinely admire both of them. I think we make a terrible mistake believing we have to find something wrong with the people we can't vote for.”

When asked about Obama’s experience, Clinton said he was the same age as the Democratic nominee when he stepped into the Oval Office. He said he thinks both candidates are experienced enough to be president.

“Having been there, you could argue that no one is ever fully qualified to be president until you take it, because it’s such a unique job, you have to learn things as you go,” Clinton said. “But I think he is ready to be president, and I think McCain is ready to be president, I think you gotta decide which president you want.”

1. Janine

I voted for Hillary in the NV primary. I watched her campaign and debates get increasingly nasty. Even the people working within the campaign fought among each other on which way the campaign should be going. I sincerely believe Hillary would've got the nomination if her campaign would've been more positive and I think the Clintons see that too. That's why they are not being nasty and taking sides.

September 22, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  2. Candy, Louisiana

Bill just can't make himself endorse Obama, at least not with any conviction or emotion. It's clear the Clinton's do not like Barack Hussein.

It's really irrelevant anyway since it is becoming clear that the country will not elect a black. 40% of whites see blacks as violent and lazy. They also see the anger of Michelle Obama and her lack of patriotism.

Hillary 12'

September 22, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  3. texas democrat

Should Bill Clinton still have some anger about the primary elections?Of course I think I would too. Will this stop me from voting for Obama?Heck no!

September 22, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  4. Barney

He's beginning his Hillary '12 campaign, but if McCain wins, Palin will be elected '12 because of her 4 years of VP experience. You PUMAs had better be very careful – it may turn on you and the rest of the country.

Obama/Biden '08 (Hillary will get a good position)

September 22, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  5. Chris from NY

I think Bill should go and sit down until this election is over. Smart people in America already know that Obama is qualified to be Commander in Chief. He is also qualified to lead this country including fighting terrorism. We cannot fight mordern day terrorism with 1968 idealogy. This moment in time calls for a younger man with intelligence and candor to lead this country. Thi is not the country of the cowboys only. It's also for the young and thoughtful.

September 22, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  6. glenn

Hillary can do more replacing Harry Reid as majority leader in the Senate where democrats will pick up another 6 seats in Nov. and they can work with an Obama adminstration on a healthcare policy.

September 22, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  7. People make no sense

Government laws are a joke. Palin for criminal! Throw that subpeona away criminals and terrorize the country. Palin has your back...

September 22, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  8. Elsa, Philadelphia

It's clear the Clintons have no use for Obama. They are putting forth a token effort so she'll have party support in 2012'.

I really can't blame them. Obama totally debased and demeaned Hillary as a person and as a woman. But it seems he can't do the same thing to Sarah Palin. Sarah just smiles and Obama trembles. When Obama looks into Sarah's eyes on his TV, he sees nothing but steel looking back at him. And since he's such a woos, I'm sure he wets his pants.

September 22, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  9. FRED, Atlanta GA

To BEN: It's obvious that you need to pay more attention to who your supporting! Obama has talked about the economy over and over and over again as well as job creation. I really don't get it when someone says that Obama doesn't talk about this or that some of yall need to start listening. DON'T HEAR, LISTEN!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 08/12 YES WE CAN & YES WE WILL!!!

OBIDEN!!

September 22, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  10. Arcayla Griffith

Seem to me the Clintons are holding back support in hopes that Obama loses so Hillary can take another shot 2012. Especially bitter Bill, but she will never get another vote from me if Obama loses.

September 22, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  11. Kay

I have a problem believing Hillary would have accepted VP if ask. It's not bad enough her own party screwed her, made her bend over and smile...It's obvious she is only saying what she must, and not because it's what she wants to do...but must. It's to Hillary's advantage for Senator McCain to win...Which is why, I'll be voting for him. I'll never rrrrrrbe a Democrat again...but I will vote for Hillary in '12.
    Go McCain/Palin!!! No way, no how, NOBAMA!

September 22, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  12. Maritza

Sooo funny ... liberals are now saying oh hillary never wanted VP , they will justify any irrational idea , if it makes no sense, if it's a distorted view of reality they'll buy it , proof is in who they are supporting blindly, Obama's own VP said on tape in his own words "Obama not qualified to be President , he's not ready " words to that effect from his own vp choice ... great team they will solve nothing... and Biden from old Washington .. so much for that rhetoric.

Maritza

September 22, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  13. JohnJon

Call what Clinton said the truth. They are both his friends and they will not put each other down. He is rigth when he says that it is up to the American people to decide who is best for president. One thing I will say and I believe to the full extent of my intelligence. I believe Bii is keeping out of this and only saying so much because Obama has plans to have Hillary stated into the Supreme Court and he must watch what he is saying because he can't seen to bias in order to make Hillarys appointment more valid. But what a great move it would be on Obama's part to have her installed in the Supreme Court. Man what a day in history that would be. Wtach out Old Boys Club, your days are numbered.

September 22, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  14. Julie

Well, this is just about the biggest mess I have ever seen. So, why are Bill and Hillary expected to whole-heartedly throw their support behind this guy? Didn't she just spend months proving why Obama was not qualified? Yet now she is being criticized for holding back on her enthusiasm? Any other time that a politician changes there opinion about an issue, they get torn apart for it- But now its not only O.K., but viciously expected? This election is turning everyone into hypocrites, its very scary. If only Hillary were on the ticket, this election would be over the top for the Democrats, McCain would not even have a chance, and Sara Palin would not even be known of outside of Alaska.

Still Undecided................................................

September 22, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  15. Janice Il

I'll try again, He did NOT ask HER. 18 million votes and he did not ask her to run with him. Where is the logic in this decision? It did then and could now cost us this election. They are plenty good enough to hit the campaign trail though.

September 22, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  16. Fred

I used to have respect for Bill Clinton, how sad.....

September 22, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |