September 22nd, 2008

Bill Clinton says Dems shouldn't attack Palin

Bill Clinton said Dems shouldn't attack Palin.
Bill Clinton said Dems shouldn't attack Palin.

(CNN) - Bill Clinton said Monday the Democratic ticket should steer clear of launching personal attacks on Sarah Palin over her relatively thin resume, and instead acknowledge she was a "good choice" for the No. 2 spot on the GOP ticket.

"Why say, ever, anything bad about a person? Why don't we like them and celebrate them and be happy for her elevation to the ticket? And just say that she was a good choice for him and we disagree with them?" said Clinton, who faced repeated charges during the primary season he was overly negative toward Obama on the campaign trail.

Clinton's comments appear to echo advice Karl Rove gave to Barack Obama in his regular Wall Street Journal column last week, when the former Bush strategist noted attacking the VP candidate has rarely proven to be an effective strategy.

In one of the former president's few extended comments to date on Palin's surprise VP candidacy, Clinton also told reporters in New York Monday he knows why the Alaska governor is attracting massive crowds on the campaign trail.

"I come from Arkansas, I get why she's hot out there," Clinton told reporters in New York, according to the Associated Press. "Why she's doing well."

"People look at her, and they say, 'All those kids. Something that happens in everybody's family I'm glad she loves her daughter and she's not ashamed of her. Glad that girl's going around with her boyfriend. Glad they're going to get married,'" he said.

Referencing Palin's 5-month old child who has Down Syndrome, Clinton also said voters will think, "I like that little Down syndrome kid - one of them lives down the street, they're wonderful children.”

Earlier Monday, Clinton suggested his wife, Sen. Hillary Clinton, would have been a better political choice for the Democratic VP spot than Joe Biden.

“She would have been the best politically, at least in the short run, because of her enormous support of the country,“ he said on the daytime talk show The View.

1. McSame

Everyone knows that Palin is the dumbest pick anyone could have ever imagined... but they don't call Bill slick for no reason.. the more they attack Palin.. the more ATTENTION she gets..... she is a nobody wanna be.. let her have her time... it will come to an end soon. Nov 4th.

Go Slick Bill... I see you still have .

Bill has game.

September 22, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  2. maynard hopkins wi

WAY TO GO BILL.... YOU MIGHT JUST DIG YOURSELF OUT OF THE HOLE THAT YOU MADE FOR YOURSELF

September 22, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  3. John Stryker

if you talk about her crappy resume that's not being personal.

when you apply for a job the employer wants to see certain things on your resume. when those things aren't on the resume the employer isn't being personal when they tell you you aren't qualified.

they may even tell you that you suck and that you are a horrible candidate. which is the case in this instance. and that's not personal, that's just reality. better luck next time. maybe she wants to look into a nice exec position at an oil company? that's more her style.

September 22, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  4. becka larkin

I find it ironic how Sarah Palin is whining about how the dems are "attacking her". It is hypocritical of her and rather pathetic since her ticket has been doing some of the same attacks. Sarah...get over yourself... karma has a funny way of coming around.

September 22, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  5. Shane from LB

But it's hard not to attack her. She asks for it when she calls herself a 'pitbull with lipstick' while she lies on the campaign trail everyday.

Obama/Biden '08!

September 22, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  6. Dave

Uh, Bill? It's been the bloggers and the media making the biggest stink. Obama himself said "hands off."

September 22, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  7. noway-nohow-nobama

I love this man. I never understood why Obama's supporters turned so viciously on him and on Hillary. The only reason that I can come up with is their hard -to understand fanatism over Obama, an inexperienced, junior senator with a long and close relationship with a racist pastor.
    Change???? Gimme a break! Who said "Change" is always a good thing? Obama's arrogance, inexperience and questionable beliefs have the potential to "change" this country's dire situation from bad to worse.
    As a Democrat, I rather vote Republican this time around. I simply do not trust Obama.

September 22, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  8. Clinton Democrat for Obama

I love President Clinton, and I think he wants Obama to win.

I think his comments indicate he's got something up his sleeve to derail the McCain-Palin ticket.

He didn't win 2 landslide elections by just sitting on his hands and doing nothing.

September 22, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  9. DR

I love me some Bill Clinton, but after today he has just loss me. His legacy is history. Whenever he spoke we listen but that's gone. I watched him on the View and he stated that Hillary didn't want the VP position, I don't know why it wasn't reported in this article.

This is a dirty and bitter man. Watch out Obama, we got your back. This is the 21st century.

Obama/Biden 08-12

September 22, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  10. Aimee

God bless Bill. Just love him. Sure wish he could have a third term.

September 22, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  11. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Palin is a narrow-minded and dangerous idiot just like Bush

September 22, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  12. Teresa

Give me a break !! Bill Clinton statment like this is hurting Obama How he support mother of 5 children with no expierience to be VP??

September 22, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  13. noway-nohow-nobama

September 22, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  14. Cheryl Parker

“The belligerence, the misspeaking, the defensiveness...all of those things are early stage Alzheimers symptoms. If anyone watched 60 Minutes last night, were you struck by the difference in appearance and affect between his interview earlier this year in Iraq, and his interview with Scott Pelley last week? He was full of vim and vigor earlier this year; now he looks drawn and ill. His eyes looked empty. We can not afford to elect this man, especially with his new puppet, Palin, as VP, with her strings being pulled by Rove, Cheney and the far right.”

Well I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks he’s showing the early stages of Alzheimer’s.

15. Gilberto

People will stop talking about Palin's kids when she stops dragging them to political functions.

Palin: Leave you kids alone!

16. mitchell

who's palin?

17. All But Forgotten

Barack and Joe Biden have long forgotten about Mrs. Pain (oops I mean Palin). It is the McCain campaign that keeps trying to make her a victim so they can distract voters with a cultural campaign rather than a campaign on the issues.

McCain realizes that he can not win a campaign on the issues.

18. Geoffrey Sperl

This isn't that Bill Clinton likes Sarah Palin or that he wants McCain to win the election.

This is Clinton saying, in code, that the election is not about Palin and by attacking her the Dems risk losing it all. And he's right. They need to focus on the economy and the war. That's it. If they hammer McCain on those two things then they will win the presidential election.

19. Emma, San Jose, CA

I completely agree she should not be attacked and I am pleased Obama has shifted to talking about issues. My rationale for saying this is that Palin should not be getting so much publicity.

20. Tired of Media

Bill – what has have the Democrats said about her?

And I am not talking about staffers at the junior level or some off message surrogate that no one can remember their name.

Go home Bill – Go the *** home!

21. Th3rdpwr

Come on, we al know Palin's daughter won't be marrying the baby's father; the guy is 18! No one has, even, mentioned the word love between these two.

22. Michael

OH come on Billy-Boy Gov. Palin is a big girl, if she can't handle some one being critical of her, then how can she possible handle the rest of the world.

Besides, when she or McCain, or anyone else for that matter Lie, shouldn't they be called on it?????

23. Griff

I long for the day, when my Grand-Daughter, can run for Office. She as the same rights, as any Male. What have you to offer your Daughter Bill??

24. R

Bill I hope by saying this you mean to stop attacking her smal worthless resume and start focusing on McCain

25. WAKE UP!

If the tables were turned and the Dem's had chosen Palin as their VP pick the Republicans would have shown no mercy!

The Dem's (including Bill) have to stop second guessing themselves and go in for the kill.

The McCain-Palin ticket is weak on substance and weak on the issues.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12