September 22nd, 2008

NRA ad claims Obama wants to ban guns

The National Rifle Association released a new ad taking aim at Obama over the Second Amendment.

(CNN)—The National Rifle Association is taking aim at Sen. Barack Obama’s ‘bitter’ comment in a new ad, claiming the Illinois senator wants to ban shotguns and rifle’s commonly used for hunting.

“I learned that Barack Obama supports new tax on my guns and ammo,” Karl Rusch of Virginia says. “But it’s not just new taxes that Barack Obama wants. You can believe it. He also supports a ban on the shotguns and rifles most of us use for hunting.”

Obama has called for permanently reinstating the assault weapons ban, and voted for a 2005 amendment placing restrictions on rifle ammunition that is “designed or marketed” to be armor-piercing, but has not called for confiscation of rifles.

Watch: Obama speaks about his view on gun control

Joe Biden told supporters at a campaign event in Virginia Saturday they need not worry about their guns being confiscated under an Obama-Biden administration.

“I guarantee you, Barack Obama ain't taking my shotguns. So don't buy that malarkey,” Biden said Saturday. “They're going to start peddling that to you. I got two and if he tries to fool with my Berretta, he's got a problem.”

In the NRA’s ad, “Hunter,” Rusch concludes, “No politician is going to take away my guns and ammo. You don’t have to be bitter to know Barack Obama isn’t the kind of change we need.”

Despite the NRA’s strong criticism of Obama, the group has not endorsed John McCain for president.

McCain addressed NRA members at their convention in May, telling them he hasn’t agreed with them on “every issue,” but “those disagreements do not detract from my long record of support for the Second Amendment.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • NRA
  1. Loud & Proud Leftie

Well, we knew this line of attack was coming but alas, rifle-huggers, this is not a big issue this year. I would hope that most people would rather keep their jobs and their guns.

Obama/Biden '08

September 22, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  2. KM

I do not own a gun and at this point I do not want one. But what gun lovers should understand is that your right to bear arms and my right to want to live in a gun free (safe) community is the same. Here is where we must find a common ground. You want to defend your community with the presence of guns, I want to defend my community through other non-violent alternatives.

A person caring a shotgun in the countryside of Montana is different than someone caring a shotgun in New York City. I personnaly think that gun manufacturers should be held to a higher standard so that when guns do get into the wrong hands, the police can trace it back to it's origin and work from their. The gun manufacturer sold it to Joe Blow, Joe Blow sold it to his local pawn shop, the local pawn shop sold it to Susie Q, and so on.

September 22, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  3. Gabby's Mom

GARY----DON'T HATE THE PLAYER, HATE THE GAME. AT LEAST OBAMA DIDN'T TAKE THE FEDERAL MONEY YOUR MAN MCSHAME DID!!!!
    HE HAS OUT RAISED HIM EVERYTIME!!!

September 22, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  4. For Gary

Gary, you are not informed. Check factcheck.org. Know the facts. It's your people that are the big liars! I have sympathy for those who choose not to know the facts.

September 22, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  5. CNN = Jerry Springer of news

Obama believes heavily in the Constitution, unlike some of our conservative counterparts (Habeas Corpus, Patriot Act). The Second Ammendment guarantees the right to bear arms and Obama supports this. That does not mean there should be no regulation (yes, I know that is also a dirty word for conservatives) regarding how and when to purchase firearms.

BTW, I am a female hunter living in rural Wisconsin who owns a rifle and a shotgun myself.

Obama-Biden '08

September 22, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  6. Kevin S

This add REEKS of desperation

September 22, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  7. Kentucky

I don't know about you, but I have bigger problems than guns and who has them. When the dust clears, we can thank Sarah Palin and John McCain for putting Obama in the White House. After Sarah gets done making a fool of herself, Alaska won't even want her.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

September 22, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  8. free America

I GUESS THE FUNDAMENTALS OF THE ECONOMY IS STILL STRONG!!

September 22, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  9. Donna from Colorado Springs

So McBush has tried to sick the NRA on Obama. There's nothing that man won't do or say to win this election. He lies through his dentures every time he opens his mouth! He thinks that the american people believe his lies about the money crisis being the fault of Obama. If he would read the papers, he would know that we blame McBush and the republicans for this mess and noone else!

September 22, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  10. Michael

Hey WhoIsPalin, don't get down on CNN for not fact checking this one. There's so many lies spewing forth from McCain and Palin, it's pretty difficult to fact check all of them. They'd have to double their staff just to keep up.

September 22, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  11. Retired Republican Iraqi Vet For Obama

My 1st Job in the A.F was as a combat arms instructor. I have fired all types of weapons from M-9 to 50 cal. My vote will go to Obama he is the only logical choice in these times. We can not allow the likes of Sarah Palin to be a heart beat away from the leadership of the free world.

September 22, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  12. Deb

Typical lies and distortions. Let us focus on the economy and stop smearing a decent man.

September 22, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  13. Maureen / Calif.

NRA = Trashy people that will lie, just like McCain and Palin to serve their own personal agendas.

September 22, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  14. Daniel va

An other lie over lies, lies lies... McCain is in panic right now... He is scared to dead to lose the election. So he will do anything or say anything to win. Obama said earlier he is absolutely sure that the NRA will agree with him: How can we let a criminal with a AK47 in his hand .His comments are the reality and nobody will deny it.

September 22, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  15. Matt

The NRA. Now here's a group of people who are batsh-t crazy. You wanna accuse anyone of drinking kool-aid in this election, here's your Jim Jones wannabes. Not only is what they are saying a blatant 100% lie, Obama's interview on 60 Minutes proves it because he said quite the opposite.

September 22, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  16. Aimee

Another MISLEADING ad.

OBAMA/BIDEN

September 22, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  17. Independent in NC

The problem is that you can only regulate the legal means of gun ownership, and I don't think the criminals are usually the ones participating the background checks and waiting periods. They are concerned that it will be harder for law-abiding citizens to own guns, while the criminals are still getting them through illegal means. It may be an unfounded fear, but most people who stand by the Second Amendment are more concerned about the government than the criminals (although they are sometimes one and the same).

September 22, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  18. Frank

Works on people who are too stupid to get the facts.

September 22, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  19. Shannon,Dallas,Texas

Planned Parenthood can probably put out it's own ad saying that Sarah Palin wants to ban condoms.

The question is "Should we ban condoms or guns?"

You make the choice.

These negative ads are silly and untrue.

September 22, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  20. Chula

I want the NRA to put out an ad asking why Obama asked the Iraqi's to stall on US troop withdrawals until after the election.

Obama was willing to sell out the lives of our sons and daughters, just so that he can win an election.

Obama has gone from being a liar to know being a Traitor.

September 22, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  21. Karl

LIES! LIES! and more LIES! Obama and I do not advocate the restriction of all firearms. For those living in rural areas and often enjoy hunting, there's nothing wrong in owning a gun. For those wanting to protect there family and home, there's nothing wrong with owning a gun. For those wanting to own automatic weapons with hollow-point armor piercing rounds in the middle of the city and possibly 16 to 24 years old, well, I have an issue. What do you think.

September 22, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  22. Matt

Where's the FCC? This is a fradulent use of the airwaves and should not go unpunished. I say we take all their guns away hahaha

September 22, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  23. McCain for Pres.

Exactly what do all you Obama supporters base all this confidence you have in him on??? Its not his record. Is it because he says so???? John McCain has a record of putting people and country first.

September 22, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  24. Veronica, New York

These people are crazy and I wish someone would ban GUNS!

September 22, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  25. Nancy

this is business as usual,

September 22, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |