September 22nd, 2008

NRA ad claims Obama wants to ban guns

The National Rifle Association released a new ad taking aim at Obama over the Second Amendment.

(CNN)—The National Rifle Association is taking aim at Sen. Barack Obama’s ‘bitter’ comment in a new ad, claiming the Illinois senator wants to ban shotguns and rifle’s commonly used for hunting.

“I learned that Barack Obama supports new tax on my guns and ammo,” Karl Rusch of Virginia says. “But it’s not just new taxes that Barack Obama wants. You can believe it. He also supports a ban on the shotguns and rifles most of us use for hunting.”

Obama has called for permanently reinstating the assault weapons ban, and voted for a 2005 amendment placing restrictions on rifle ammunition that is “designed or marketed” to be armor-piercing, but has not called for confiscation of rifles.

Watch: Obama speaks about his view on gun control

Joe Biden told supporters at a campaign event in Virginia Saturday they need not worry about their guns being confiscated under an Obama-Biden administration.

“I guarantee you, Barack Obama ain't taking my shotguns. So don't buy that malarkey,” Biden said Saturday. “They're going to start peddling that to you. I got two and if he tries to fool with my Berretta, he's got a problem.”

In the NRA’s ad, “Hunter,” Rusch concludes, “No politician is going to take away my guns and ammo. You don’t have to be bitter to know Barack Obama isn’t the kind of change we need.”

Despite the NRA’s strong criticism of Obama, the group has not endorsed John McCain for president.

McCain addressed NRA members at their convention in May, telling them he hasn’t agreed with them on “every issue,” but “those disagreements do not detract from my long record of support for the Second Amendment.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • NRA
  1. I said Thanks, but No Thanks to another 4 years of g.o.p. corruption, arrogance and incompetence

Bush was ahead of Kerry 50-41 in CBS poll on September 21-22, 2004.

I'm Fired Up.

September 22, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  2. PA Independent

Did they not watch his televised statement after this spring's Supreme Court ruling, or watch his televised acceptance speech at the Democratic convention, or read his website? Can they not read, or can they not be bothered, or do they just not care?

The lies from McCain/Palin are more nauseating every day.

September 22, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  3. Fed Up

More misinformation from a bunch of lunatics, fed no doubt, by the Republican smear machine. Obviously, time is running out and they have nothing to show for it.

Just say NO to Bush 44 and Caribou Barbie.

Go Obama/Biden!!!

September 22, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  4. Sandy - PA

I can't believe ANYONE would vote for McCain/Palin. Obama is up 52% to 48%. Obama should be up 100% to 0%. How anyone could vote for McCain/Palin makes me wonder. What are they teaching in school these days?

September 22, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  5. chas alabama

Sounds like another republican scam

September 22, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  6. jo

the economy stupid????????????????????

September 22, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  7. Sylvia B

CNN, why don't you allow comments on your stories? What are you afraid of? I saw the story on "McCain wants stronger oversight in bailout". Why didn't you have this story up when Obama asked for that yesterday or his others proposals for approving the bailout? Everyone already knows you are bias toward McCain.

September 22, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  8. Judith

More lies on the behalf of the Republicans. Where do they get this stuff? It's totally fictitious of course, but the GOP is so desperate they're going to resort to any sort of tactic to try to catch up.

September 22, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  9. Vincent, Great Lakes IL

The NRA endorsed McCain, of course they would work the spin overtime as far as Obama goes. At least I listen to the candidate and know he wasn't talking about hunting rifles.

How dumb do these people think we are???

September 22, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  10. Brian

It should be illegal to lie like this when it comes to politics. Everyone knows this is a lie, and I've heard straight from Obama's mouth that he's not interested in changing the laws as they relate to rifles and shotguns. This is a truly absurd ad, and McCain needs to denounce it immediately.

September 22, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  11. Patrick

NRA liars as usual. No wonder they support McSame, another LIAR.

September 22, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  12. v.a

NRA = idiots.

September 22, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  13. Untrue - Get your Facts RIGHT

If anyone out there viewed Senator Obama's Democratic Acceptance Speech you will know the truth! He said in effect, there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to have some regulation without those that own guns loosing their rights... He wants to meet in the middle....

In life you don't always get what you want but you always get what you need... This is the right kind of man to be our President not someone that views life from only one perspective....

September 22, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  14. Patrick

Screw it. I'm giving another $100 to obama. I am so sick of the Republican party. They've really screwed us over. Thank God I NEVER voted for Bush.

September 22, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  15. Stop Pinocchios!

Somebody needs to stop telling these lies. Obama believes in the right for mentally balanced, law-abiding citizens to have firearms.

September 22, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  16. rick

YES nra wants its business thats why and they are crying now

September 22, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  17. America think for you

These are all lies. Yes, He does want to ban guns from criminals but, not banning them for law biding citizens.

September 22, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  18. Yes We Can

"If you go to hell for telling lies " they should know either they are there or there is no truth to that statement .
    Never has there been in the history of this world BIGGER CROOKS AND LIARS than McBush ,Phailling, Bush ,Cheney, Gramm, Rove ,Newt, and their list goes on.
    I have NEVER heard Obama mention this and for the liars they have another lie going out before the last one is cold .

September 22, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  19. Bethie

Hey McCain! i can see a Taco Bell from my kitchen window, can I be your Foreign Policy Advisor?

September 22, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  20. mitchell

obama is on record over and over as being a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment. i was a member of nra for 20 years,but, they called me asking for $ for this ad. i told them to cancel my membership and dont call me ever again, because it was lies.

September 22, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  21. Emily

We do need more strict control on gun. Even though I acknowledge the need of gun in the bear country, we have so many tragedy due to gun. I am sure both parties can agree that we need to reduce the crimes. I want to know the position of each candidate how they plan to reduce crimes. If the conclusion is banning the gun is the only way, I think we do have to give up the rights to protect the human rights of other people. But I have not seen any in-depth discussion. These discussions are always around the symbolic matter, like gun ownership, or abortion, it seldom addresses the core issues, like crimes, rapes, etc.

September 22, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  22. Rob

More proof of how looney most of the Obama supporters are: That one of you commentors here actually believes that's Palin in the bikini when everyone else in the world has proven that that picture was photoshopped.

And to all of you who say that McCain/Palin/Republicans are lying, they'd have to lie 24 hours a day for the next million years to get up to speed with you. You can't spell liberal without LIE!

Vote Obama/Biden...and say goodbye to America!

September 22, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  23. Heidi

McCain is looking more and more confused.

September 22, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  24. Lies Before Country = Anna Nicole Smith (Lie-a-day Palin) & E. Pierce Marshall (Inane McCain)

If, indeed, these gun owners are so stupid, they should have their guns taken away since they don't have the brains to figure out that this same ploy is practiced every four years. If you don't have the brains to rationalize then you don't have the brains to own or shoot a weapon.

September 22, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  25. elm

Hunt Republicans from helicopters not wolves...

More wolves, polar bears, whales, fewer ignorant Republicans.

September 22, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |