September 22nd, 2008

NRA ad claims Obama wants to ban guns

The National Rifle Association released a new ad taking aim at Obama over the Second Amendment.

(CNN)—The National Rifle Association is taking aim at Sen. Barack Obama’s ‘bitter’ comment in a new ad, claiming the Illinois senator wants to ban shotguns and rifle’s commonly used for hunting.

“I learned that Barack Obama supports new tax on my guns and ammo,” Karl Rusch of Virginia says. “But it’s not just new taxes that Barack Obama wants. You can believe it. He also supports a ban on the shotguns and rifles most of us use for hunting.”

Obama has called for permanently reinstating the assault weapons ban, and voted for a 2005 amendment placing restrictions on rifle ammunition that is “designed or marketed” to be armor-piercing, but has not called for confiscation of rifles.

Watch: Obama speaks about his view on gun control

Joe Biden told supporters at a campaign event in Virginia Saturday they need not worry about their guns being confiscated under an Obama-Biden administration.

“I guarantee you, Barack Obama ain't taking my shotguns. So don't buy that malarkey,” Biden said Saturday. “They're going to start peddling that to you. I got two and if he tries to fool with my Berretta, he's got a problem.”

In the NRA’s ad, “Hunter,” Rusch concludes, “No politician is going to take away my guns and ammo. You don’t have to be bitter to know Barack Obama isn’t the kind of change we need.”

Despite the NRA’s strong criticism of Obama, the group has not endorsed John McCain for president.

McCain addressed NRA members at their convention in May, telling them he hasn’t agreed with them on “every issue,” but “those disagreements do not detract from my long record of support for the Second Amendment.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • NRA
  1. Henrita

An NRA in the middle of this crisis? What an obvious attempt to distract SOME people (thank God, not all) from McCain's weakness with the economy. The NRA is just trying to help McCain now and unfortunately, some people will believe the lies because these people are just dumb! This is my first time following a presidential election and I am amazed at the sleaze and tacticsof the Republicans and thier allies. Obama has run a masterful campaign and SHOULD be further ahead in the polls. We all know why he isn't, though. McCain/Palin scares the hell out of me when thinking about the future of this country. Obama is right – they are out of touch.

September 22, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  2. mick

Most of you miss the point or you are politicaly driven. ANY restrictions/bans permanent or otherwise represent challenges to the Second Amendment. Pure and simple. Spin it anyway you want, but be careful to uphold the Constitution and not bow to the politics of a party. The Supreme Court just ruled in favor of gun ownership in one's home.

Like the NRA or not, do not to tread on Constitutional rights. This is not a good thing to do if you wish to woo independent voters.

PS: The name calling indicates total lack of sophistication and poor debating/discussion skills. Try staying on topic and presenting ideas in a compelling fashion. You can do it.

September 22, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  3. Howard

The picture of Sarah in her "flag" bikini with her hunting rifle tucked uner her arm pit was pretty discusting. No wonder the NRA is backing her. YUK!

September 22, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  4. applecrispbetty

NRA = liars.

September 22, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  5. v.ananthan

OBAMA IS GOING TO SPLIT THE NATION....

HE AND HIS SUPPORTERS ARE PLAYING " THE RACE CARD " REALLY WELL ...

IF YOU DON^T VOTE FOR OBAMA YOU ARE A RACIST......

September 22, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  6. Brennan, Seattle WA

I am a proud gun owner, but this is why I cancelled my NRA membership. I grew up with guns and would never give up my guns, but I understand that we have a problem in our cities. As a country we have to do what is needed for the greater good. If that means that we impose some regulations on weapons in the inner city then I am ok with that.

For too long the gun community has seen giving an inch as giving up. It is unfortunate that we need restrictions at all, but compromise requires both sides to work together for a solution that protects us all.

September 22, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  7. NoMccain

They thought the same thing with Clinton. They love to use this fear tactic about this time every eight years. I am an Independent voter voting for Barack Obama, and I am a hunter that loves to hunt, fish, and engage in all other Redneck activities that my rural backwoods friends love to do. I voted for Bush in 2000, and would like to see my mother country head in a different direction, one that embodies the spirit and beliefs of ALL Americans, and not just some.

September 22, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  8. Jas

It is rifles, not rifle's. Get a dictionary! You call yourself a news site.

September 22, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  9. John in WV

This is the reason so many avid sportspeople refuse to support the NRA. This is just a campaign gimmick to get votes. If the NRA was truly worried about Obama taking guns away from people, they would save their money and credibility to use once he begins to do so which they know is not going to happen without amending the Constitution.

September 22, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  10. Brent

this is in response to "GARY"..... Gary, I'm sorry, but you're so ignorant it's sad.

September 22, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  11. Tom

In the primary, his misguided (and factually incorrect) sarcasm regarding Hillary being "Annie Oakley" and his more recent sarcasm regarding Palin's moose hunting, it wouldn't be a shock to find that Obama thinks little of guns or gun owners. That's cause he's a city boy and most of us in this country are country boys. Good luck with the ban, city O – I don't think it's gonna fly out here in the real world.

September 22, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  12. lindapuma

cry me a gosh darn river.

September 22, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  13. fixthebroken

I know most of the people on this forum know this is a bunch of you know what.

But, sadly, there are people in the American Electorate that will believe it. There are people who solely base their decision to vote on ads they see on TV.

It is a sad display of our civic knowledge in this country.

Don't fall for it this time, please!

September 22, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  14. Amanda

.......because banning guns is such a bad thing, right?? gosh Amerians are so stupid...

September 22, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  15. Deb N Texas

It is shameful for a huge organization like NRA to LIE like that. That goes to show you what kind of people are leading this country. Hateful, lying and decietful people. This is why the United States are in the mess we are in now – the hateful and selfish people put us here.

September 22, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  16. Distraction

THE GOP started late with the race baiting, and Guns and God arguments. The Country is about to tank and people are running scared just to hold onto their savings and jobs. I doubt if they care about a gun. The gov't can't even dump 500,000 foreclosed homes, what would they do with a bunch of guns? NOT THIS TIME, register to vote DEM and let's show the GOP that their tactics worked in 2004, but will not work now. Too much is at stake, the entire Country.

September 22, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  17. Jill

When Americans lose their homes, I hope they think of McCain and his 7 .
    When Americans can't afford gas for their cars, I hope they think of McCain and his 13 .

September 22, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  18. Michael in Houston

99% of NRA Participants would not vote for Obama, even if he wanted to legalize automatic weapons.

September 22, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  19. TexasVet

Here we go again! Following the bouncing ball and forget about the fact that your house is about to be foreclosed on and you don't have a job or health insurance. Or the fact that gas is almost $4 dollars a gallon. Cuz the only thing that matters is that the Democrats want to take away your guns and kill babies. Did I mention that Obama was a "Muslim"?

Come on people, don't fall for it again! My fellow comrades and I can't afford it. My 3 kids can't afford for you to be scared into voting for another RICH idiot who doesn't really care about the issues they are distracting you with. Use your brains this time. You have them, so use them. PLEASE!

AIR FORCE VETS FOR OBAMA/BIDEN 08!

September 22, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  20. RapidRay

Outright lie.

From Obama's website...

"Millions of hunters and shooters own and use guns each year. Barack
    Obama believes the Second Amendment creates an individual right, and he respects the constitutional rights of
    Americans to bear arms. He will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase,
    own, transport, and use guns."

September 22, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  21. People make no sense

To all criminals, our executive qualified vice presidential nominee has shown you the way. Just decline to cooperate with your court ordered subpoena's. There's a mountain of evidence that the system is partisian against you so refuse their order. Site Palin executive privilege. The law means nothing. I now hope every criminal follows her example and get out. She supports criminal rights...

Bush and Palin are twins

September 22, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  22. Bill, MA.

Republicans, ... your party is on its last legs. You and your religious wingnut radicals have driven wedges into American society. For such stellar values voters you lie about every issue. The country is changing, and your racist days are becoming history. Bush, and his gang have nearly destroyed our economy, our military, our reputation, our security, and much, much more. McCain/Palin is just more republican corruption, and lying. What have republicans done to improve America?????? Dwight Eisenhower was the last decent Republican.

September 22, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  23. NRA member for Obama

Every CNN article talking about a McCain/Palin ad should have a factcheck.org disclaimer before the actual article.

Another right-wing lie...more and more like Bush every day

September 22, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  24. megalodonbite

Aww...is the NRA upset because Obama wants to get rid of your guns? I hope he does because there would be a lot more lives saved in this country with tougher gun laws, or perhaps getting rid of them all together. Why dont you go tell the families of the Columbine victims you are so upset about this or go cry somewhere else until you get what you deserve.

September 22, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  25. Dandelion.

lol, if guns is your #1 priority, you wouldn't be voting for Obama anyway. Or McCain, actually.

September 22, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |