September 22nd, 2008

NRA ad claims Obama wants to ban guns

The National Rifle Association released a new ad taking aim at Obama over the Second Amendment.

(CNN)—The National Rifle Association is taking aim at Sen. Barack Obama’s ‘bitter’ comment in a new ad, claiming the Illinois senator wants to ban shotguns and rifle’s commonly used for hunting.

“I learned that Barack Obama supports new tax on my guns and ammo,” Karl Rusch of Virginia says. “But it’s not just new taxes that Barack Obama wants. You can believe it. He also supports a ban on the shotguns and rifles most of us use for hunting.”

Obama has called for permanently reinstating the assault weapons ban, and voted for a 2005 amendment placing restrictions on rifle ammunition that is “designed or marketed” to be armor-piercing, but has not called for confiscation of rifles.

Watch: Obama speaks about his view on gun control

Joe Biden told supporters at a campaign event in Virginia Saturday they need not worry about their guns being confiscated under an Obama-Biden administration.

“I guarantee you, Barack Obama ain't taking my shotguns. So don't buy that malarkey,” Biden said Saturday. “They're going to start peddling that to you. I got two and if he tries to fool with my Berretta, he's got a problem.”

In the NRA’s ad, “Hunter,” Rusch concludes, “No politician is going to take away my guns and ammo. You don’t have to be bitter to know Barack Obama isn’t the kind of change we need.”

Despite the NRA’s strong criticism of Obama, the group has not endorsed John McCain for president.

McCain addressed NRA members at their convention in May, telling them he hasn’t agreed with them on “every issue,” but “those disagreements do not detract from my long record of support for the Second Amendment.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • NRA
  1. observer

As a licensed gun dealer I am required by law to do a background check on ALL my customers. The truth is that bad guys will always get there hands on guns,be it by stealing them or other illegal ways. Obama has thought constitutional law for 12 years, so he believes that we have a right to gun ownership. Don't be fooled by these lies. 5 republicans in my home are voting Obama this year, because we're sick of it. There are many guns for sale, but if theres no money to purchase them, then what good are they?

September 22, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  2. George w. McCain

No one is taking anyones guns away. How do you expect the government which has problems running the simplest of programs, going to arrange to pick up all of the guns from people who don't want to give them up. Ain't going to happen, no matter who is President. It's a red herring to keep the enrollment up at the NRA

September 22, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  3. Patricia

I think that all of us need to look at the facts. I don't care what other lies McCain/Palin try to come up with I am voting for Barack Obama and Joe Biden. They are the men that are supposed to lead this country for the next eight years. He is here to help us, not hurt us. Get a life NRA. Your lies don't work here.

September 22, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  4. ran

Where is the FCC? What ever happen to truth in advertising.

Freedom of speech does not give someone the right to lie or even to distort the truth and if the FCC would do their job that we tax payers pay for this kind of junk would not be happening and real issues could be debated and reported on.

September 22, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  5. JD in NC

More lies! In his acceptance speech Obama said he was not against gun ownership! AARGH!

September 22, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  6. Bill Charlotte,NC

NRA + McSame + Palin + lies. That is all they have. Problem is a lot of people fall for this crap. It worked on Gore and Kerry, why not Obama.

September 22, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  7. JusLaugh

"I don't have any intention of taking folks' guns away"

Barack Obama, February '08

September 22, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  8. Some Things Never Change

You have got to be kidding, with the economy in the condition it is in and they want to talk about guns, give me a break. No one is going to take away the second amendment. Whether or not a person owns a gun is not going to pay the mortgage, it is not going to put gas in your car, it is not going to help you keep you job, let's get real folks.

I see nothing wrong with some common sense legislation on background checks, most of us have to submit to background checks when we go to work for a company. All of us must submit to credit checks when we get credit cards or buy a home or a car. Let's not get into this argument of invasion of privacy, it flies in the face of common sense that you would submit to a background check for a job but not for a weapon, they are one in the same in most cases.

I believe the gun issue is a dog with no teeth, there is not a candidate out there who wants to abolish the second amendment. Most people support criminal background checks for those who wish to own a gun. those out there who cry about background checks must have something to hide. I own several weapons and I have had to submit to background check yet I have never had a problem.

Can we move on to more important issues like the economy, healthcare, foreign policy, things that actually matter in day to day life for most people. This is such a silly argument, it shows just how little people understand how the government works and what it takes to amend the Constitution, move on.

September 22, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  9. JRG

I am a member of the NRA and support what they stand for, but this election has WAY larger issues at stake than gun control. So my wife and I will both be voting Obama and praying he doesn't screw us on our second amendment rights. I will "risk" my second amendment rights to insure our country doesn't get the final flush from the republicains.

September 22, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  10. Carmen

If you look at the way the Republicans lie they will say anything to win. Guns is not on the agenda, and Obama already said he will not take away any guns just make sure they are not in the hands of people who don't need them.

September 22, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  11. LB

Nothing wrong with a little gun control. My husband has hunted all his life, never with an AK47. If I lived on the streets of Chicago, I also would want to keep AK47's out of the hands of children and gangs.

September 22, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  12. Watching this election closely...

hmmm... interesting that NRA has come out against Obama (to be expected!), but they have NOT come out in support of McCain... hmmm... even they can't make that leap!

September 22, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  13. Find out the facts....

There they go again...lies, lies, lies.

Get the facts people, do not listen to these people, it is the scar tactics again. Obama had said it over and over again, he will stand up for the 2nd Amendment. He did say he would see that it was harder for a criminal to get a gun......yeah Obama's a real bad man wants to keep Americans safe.

September 22, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  14. Don

Is this the best "bright shiny object" McLame/Painful can come up with?

September 22, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  15. grant

Every American's share of the national debt is approximatelt $40,000. Screw you NRA, lets talk about something important.

September 22, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  16. DJ Los Angeles

The NRA are a bunch of right-wing fanatics anyways. No shocker here.

September 22, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  17. Bill

I don't know of a hunter who will vote for Obama.....not a one. Obama is a city dweller who has no clue about hunting or any other kind of sport related to guns.

He is no doubt in lock step with other Democrats looking to take ALL guns out of the hands on Americans.

September 22, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  18. TPnTN

They continue to lie even when it has been proven to be just that a LIE!! It is amazing that so many Americans seem to have the preference of lies and fear-mongering. SAD!!! Just SAD!!!!

God help us!!!

September 22, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  19. Robert Wooller, West Yorkshire England

Brilliant news about CNN Poll of Polls showing Obama 49 to John McCain 44. Keep up the great work Obama and Biden. Take that McCain and Palin.

Obama-Biden 2008!!!

September 22, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  20. Wynter

The NRA used to be a responsible organization for Gun Owners,

Nowadays, it's just a political operation that makes Gun Owners look like Rednecks and Outlaws.

Someone tell the NRA to get back to its roots and stop playing politics with the 2nd Amendment. We aren't stupid, ignorant, backwoods rednecks. We are responsible people and we are being "misrepresented" by the NRA nitwits in charge.

Wynter

September 22, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  21. Patrick, Fairfield, CA

Well, it's clear to my understanding that Obama has stated ever since this topic was asked as a question to him that he does not or has never been in favor of eliminating the Second Amendment. He has said he does, however, want to review old gun laws that still allow guns to get into the hands of criminals and people who have a history of mental and emotional issues. Now if that is an attempt to abolish the Second Amendment, I will challenge those who think this way to not only hear, but listen to Obama's stance on this issue again for clarity!

September 22, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  22. Sandra, Atlanta

Well whenever you want to run from the fact that you have no plan, bring out the good ole' NRA and let them spew lies. If any NRA supporter can explain to me why AK-47's are needed and armor piercing bullets are needed, I will be more than happy to listen. My husband is an ex-cop who shudders everytime he hears that they should both be perfectly legal. Do you people not care about those guys?

September 22, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  23. lol election

NRA always claims that the democrats want to remove the 2nd amendment. wether it be hillary, kerry, edwards, obama, kennedy, pelosi, or bill.

""…what did he say about people becoming bitter when economic situations become bad, they cling to guns (NRA) , religion (abortion)""

Besides, its so easy to get a gun license and a gun these days. There's more restrictions on buying and owning a car!

September 22, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  24. KATHLEEN

Do gun owners have to PAY to belong to this idiotic NRA GROUP?
    I would own guns but to Pay money to belong to an organization that
    "tells" lies and "tells" its members who to vote for, is not my idea of
    how I would be spending my money these days. GASOLINE would
    be my priority. I need money for gas!!!!

September 22, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  25. Politically Speaking

I own a gun and I am in no fear of Obama attacking my rights to bear arms. This trick is the oldest in the book and actually supports Obama's comments about small town residents. They have been lied to so much by politicians that they cling to issues regarding their guns and religion. The republicans know this and they seek to highlight these wedge issues in an effort to steer votes away from democratic candidates.

September 22, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |