September 22nd, 2008

Obama pulls out of North Dakota

(CNN) – Barack Obama's campaign appears to be ending its push for North Dakota, a state that hasn't voted Democratic in a presidential election for more than 40 years.

Obama's campaign confirms to CNN it is pulling staffers from the state and sending them to two key nearby battlegrounds: Wisconsin and Minnesota. The Democratic nominee last visited North Dakota in early July.

President Bush carried North Dakota in 2004 by nearly 30 percentage points, though a recent American Research Group poll suggests McCain only holds a 9 point lead there. The Arizona senator currently has no paid staff in the state.

The Obama campaign has also pulled staff from Georgia, Idaho and Sarah Palin’s home state of Alaska - all historically red states that also initially appeared within striking distance.

1. vperry

I am scared that Obama is a fascist.

September 22, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  2. JM

How can people be so ignorant to vote for MCcain/Palin.
    I don't want anyone to tell me what to do with my body.
    Do you really want more of the same. I no I am sick and tired of not begin able to eat what my family likes, drive our cars or pay my bills. Have not had an increase in pay, because of the economy, but Iran has 89million surplus. Are you people doing any reading? It's time for a CHANGE.

September 22, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. theWorldismyOyster

I can't understand what's wrong with the good people of North Dakota? Is it possible that they're pleased with the last 8 years? Come on people surprise us and vote in your own best interest. I'm constantly amazed at how good the Republicans are in getting poor, uneducated people to vote for them!

September 22, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  4. demwit

North Dakota could be full of racists.., according to CNN's latest political reaseach.

September 22, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  5. Obama/Biden 100%

Thank you Senator Obama for showing us how smart and insighful you are. And thanks for spending my campaign contributions wisely.
    Let's not fatten the pockets of North Dakota with our funds, we can put it to better use!

Obama/Biden 08!!
    Si Se Puede!!

September 22, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  6. Sheryl

You really think Obama is telling the truth? He has put out more negative ads then McCain. When he gets with with his social elitist chums does he show the same persona that he portrays to the crowds of common everyday people. How about the years that he went to church and listened to Rev. Wright? Is there a credibility problem?

September 22, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  7. b@b.com

More Lies from the McCain camp!!!!

Big surprise!!

September 22, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  8. R. Squibbs

Lou,

The "60,000" figure was provided to the press by an official that the McCain campaign "made available" to the media. The St. Pete Times reporter who covered the event spoke to a fire official who put the number at 25,000. Still a lot of people, but hardly 60,000. The McCain-Palin lied about the crowd - imagine that! The real question is: what ISN'T the McCain-Palin lying about? It boggles my mind that ANYONE can support that sinking ship. Totally disgraceful.

September 22, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  9. Lucy

McCain is running subliminal ads in Seattle with a certain car commercial. Does that sound a little scared to YOU? Obama can win without North Dakota. McCain reminds me of the chopped up Black Knight in the Monty Python Movie: "Come Back Here, I'll get you yet!!"

September 22, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  10. Georgia4Obama

FYI...Obama has NOT pulled out of the Peach State!

Some staff members moved to more closely contested states (NC, VA, etc.), but we are still hard at work here in GA. I was at one of the many Obama offices in the Metro Atlanta area this weekend working for the campaign. It was packed, as supporters were in and out registering new voters and raising awareness.

I'm not making any predicitions, but with our large AFAM population, large amount of colleges and universities and an increased amount of residents from more liberal areas (Chicago, New York, etc) – Don't count us out!

September 22, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  11. EDW

Obama has CA and ND only has 3 electoral votes. We still love you here in CA Obama. ND just wants four more years of stupidity.

September 22, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  12. MD, TX

By the end of October, all Obama campaign staffers should be relocated back to Chicago to shore up that community he once organized. Loser...loser...loser.

September 22, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  13. Independent Voter From Georgia

Wow! Guess trying to get my vote isn't worth his time??

September 22, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  14. Independent Voter From Georgia

Wow! Guess trying to get my vote isn't worth his time??

Thanks Mr. Obama, for making it clear that you really don't care about certain states in certain parts of the country!! Good luck with that whole election thing!!

September 22, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  15. jn

Ready for change....you got that all wrong..John McCain was in the lobbyists pockets..$169,000.00 worth...get your head out of your arse!!!

September 22, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  16. NORTH DAKOTA LIKED THE LAST 8 AND ARE READY FOR 4 MORE!

I do not know what the biggest industry is in N.Dakota, but it must be either insurance or banking, both of which republicans are about to "socialize".

And they call Obama a Marxist!

September 22, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  17. DJ Los Angeles

IN, NC, VA and a few other "red" states are more likely as they border some blue states and may see the light this year.

September 22, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  18. Independent

North Dakota makes me question its motive??? Do they have diversity there?And by the way...Marie, don't act like race is not an issue...you gotta be kidding! I DON'T LIKE RACIST OR RACIST DEMOGRAPHICS. FORGET NORTH DAKOTA...NOBODY PAYS ATTENTION TO THAT STATE ANYWAY.

September 22, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  19. PUMA-PAC - Murphy

ASK HILLARY..

Your math is wrong. Blacks have never had a chance to vote for a Black president... blacks have voted white since they were allowed to vote... we have always had white presidents... so... if blacks have voted white every election... EVER.. EVERY election WHITE WHITE WHITE..... is it okay with you if they vote black? is that okay? WHITE x100 Black x1. Is that cool?

September 22, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  20. Steve, Madison WI

I don't think they even have tv in North Dakota – they may think Reagan is still President!

September 22, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  21. rick

goog lets win this guys

September 22, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  22. LAVON HUMMEL

I THINK MCCAIN IS GOING TO WIN. AND I FEEL VERY VERY FRIGHTEND, SAD , OLD PEOPLE ,REDNECKS. HAVE HAD THIS COUNTRY FOR THE LAST 8 YEARS. IT GONE TO HELL. BUT JUST SAY I HAVE BEEN BORN AGAIN. I KNOW GAYS WILL BURN IN HELL. WOMEN SHOULD HAVE NOT CHOICE. THEY CAN GET THERE VOTE. PALIN MCCAIN ARE NOT WHAT I CALL MORAL PEOPLE . THEY LIE AND ARE EVIL. BUT SAY THE RIGHT BUZZ WORDS. AND BECAUSE THERE LOOK LIKE MOST CAUSE THEY MAKE YOU THINK THERE JUST LIKE YOU. YOUR FOOL

September 22, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  23. Michael, watching from Canada

Shows proper use of resources.....and good judgment.

If ND never voted for Bill Clinton, then they will probably never vote for a Democrat (which means that it has NOTHING to do with Obama).

It also shows that some parts of the US are happy with the economy, are happy with their health care system, are happy with the invasion into Iraq, are happy with Bush and don't want change.

September 22, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. jeff

Seems to me that people in these states aren't easily fooled by empty words and promises of change. All I hear is change, change, change, but how is Obama going to make these changes possible?

September 22, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  25. Simon Templer

Ask Hillary,

Black have also voted 100% for all the white presidents...so put a sock in it. Obama is half white and half African. McCain is bad for anyone who can THINK...if your prejudice makes you so blind that you can't see the facts, then that's your problem. The first time you had to deal with race, you collapsed, maybe you will have a renewed appreciation for what other people goes through.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08 (Black / White Unity)

September 22, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |