September 23rd, 2008

Daley slams new McCain ad

CNN

Watch: The McCain campaigns latest ad takes aim at Obama's hometown political figures.

(CNN) – Former Commerce Secretary Bill Daley, the unwilling co-star of a Monday attack ad from John McCain's campaign, told CNN he was "shocked" by the spot: "I always had a good relationship with [McCain] - or I thought I did."

The McCain spot attacks Barack Obama for his connection to "Chicago politics," pointing to his relationships with convicted developer Tony Rezko, embattled Governor Rod Blagojevich - and Daley.

Daley accused McCain of hypocrisy for attacking Obama on lobbyists: "When I was at [telecom company] SBC, I had to hire [McCain campaign manager] Rick Davis to see John McCain," he said. "He wouldn't see anyone unless you hired one of his lobbyist friends. Telecom was his and Rick Davis was his telecom lobbyist. That was in '02, '03, '04."

He said that McCain voted for his confirmation as Commerce Secretary, and pointed to the Arizona senator's public praise of his work in the Clinton cabinet.

(For instance, during a May 1998 confirmation hearing for another Commerce official, McCain said that since Daley's arrival, "relations for the department have been improving. Mr. Daley's frank, honest style and hard work have been reaping rewards." And in 2000, he pointed to Daley's "valiant effort to clean up the Commerce Department's reputation as a dumping ground for the politically connected.")

Said Daley Monday: "I think [McCain] has totally sold his soul to get elected. The things he found important in 2000 he isn't doing now."

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Bruce

What a joke! Anyone listens to what Daly has to say are morons. he is one of the most corrupt politicians chicago has ever seen.

September 23, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  2. Josh

CNN- Bill Daley was never mayor. His brother (and father) are/were.

September 23, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  3. 9999

O B A M A,,,,,,,,,P E L O S I,,,,,,,,,,,R E I D = = =

E C O N O M I C---D E P R E S S I O N

M I L I T A R Y---H U M I L I A T I O N

September 23, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  4. Thanks, But No Thanks

The press should not let themselves be used by the McCain camp. Unless they can talk to Palin, they shouldn't photograph her events. If her events can't be photographed, then McCain loses.

She is clearly his meal ticket to the press and to the public. If she isn't around, he doesn't get the crowds he wants. The media should be smarter when it comes to McCain–he's not that bright. Just say thanks, but no thanks when the Rethugs call.

Obama/Biden 08

September 23, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  5. Lynn:60 yr old Obama supporter

McCain's camp has also come out as being against the Middle East Peace talks and has said they will NOT talk to Syria. Israel IS talking to Syria and these negotiations were supported by five former Secretaries of State from all political spectrums on CNN's forum this past weekend.

Voters need to be worried that the man a majority of Americans think will be the best Commander in Chief is the man who will follow the Bush/Cheney policies and continue to make America more insecure.

Flawed experience based on bluster, inaccurate vision and threats like supporting the invasion of Iraq to the detriment of fighting the real terrorists in Afghanistan has to be the criteria. McCain has been on the wrong Bush side of every international issue for the past eight years.

It is JUDGMENT that counts and Obama has proven he has that judgment and vision and has been shown respect and crediblity by leaders throughout the world.

McCain represents the 20th century view of the world while Obama represents the 21st century where diplomacy and power go hand in hand.

September 23, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  6. Anonymous

BILL Daley and Chicago politics?! Are you sure the ad isn't talking about RICHARD Daley - the man who was the mayor of Chicago during Obama's entire time in Illinois politics? Not sure if this mistake is CNN's or McCain's but somebody's got their Daleys mixed up.

September 23, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  7. Chuck

Why does BHO get to claim Chicago as his home town and Illinois as his home state? He was not born in either? He should at least claim somewhere in Hawaii as his official home. It is more realistic if he claimed JAKARTA, Indonesia as his home. This is not a scare tactic, just the truth. I am actually from Chicago and hate the fact that BHO gets to claim our city and state as his own! Seriously, just because he scammed the voters here and ran unopposed to get elected means he gets to claim residency? PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK!

September 23, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  8. We Deserve Better

I'm really tired of this campaign. I can only imagine how Barack feels. He's been through so much and he doesn't have the luxury of tuning out as I do.

I sincerely hope America wakes up and realizes that McCain doesn't have the right temperament to be the president. I love when he smiles through his teeth when he's really seething at some of the questions. I also love the way he showed his concern and respect for this country by selecting Sarah Palin as his VP. She is clearly not ready and demonstrates that fact everyday she is off limits to the press.

America, we deserve better. Make sure you go to the polls on November 4th and tell that to McCain by voting for the Barack/Biden ticket.

September 23, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  9. rice, bryan

and the gop backer first words on here is how obama looks like curious george. and limbaugh accused obama of using race. it's almost laughable when you read some of the these comments. all i have to say is remember keaning 5, even a racist republican know what that scandal is!!!!

September 23, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  10. Candice, WY

If John wins, nothing will get done. The Democrats in Congress will be so angry they won't give him the time of day.

I also hope the press does a full court press on Palin. This is America, and the press should not let McCain manipulate them. Palin is a joke, and she should be exposed for not having the credentials to run the country.

Palin makes Hillary look like Abe Lincoln.

Obama/Biden

September 23, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  11. Left Coast Mike, Laguna Niguel, CA

It's become rather obvious thjat McCain is just another phony right-creep who will trash anybody to get elected. This is not the conduct you expect from a "war herO" It's what we expect from a gutless coward, just like the current moron in the White House.

September 23, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  12. ANGIE

UNDECIDED VOTERS- HERE IS SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT

MCCAIN=cares about lobbisit,special interest,wealthy friends wars

Obama= cares about the people, our veterns,healthcare,education,

September 23, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  13. Virginia Voter

Jeeze...going to be really difficult for McCain to shake the lobbyist-friendly image.

September 23, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  14. Proud to be American

McCain = flip flopping liar ..... he is not only a womaniszer and war monger but he is just a flat out liar too. It is a shame he is so close to Obama in the polls it is just wrong – when will we (America) learn anything??? Time will tell ... America only have the right choice and that is Obama in 2008 – if America choose McSame we are in big trouble... he may surely die (no disrepect) in his first term and we will have the Palin mess as President ..... the world is watching hopefully we will do the right thing... if history serves me right ... it takes are

September 23, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  15. Rachel, RH

I think it's important to watch what people do, rather than what they say. When John picked Sarah Palin, he basically told us that he didn't care about America. He just cared about himself. He knows Sarah isn't smart enough to run this country, but she does draw spectators and voters, and that's what really important to John.

Someone else said it, but I'll repeat it.

John picked:
    a trophy wife
    a trophy VP

And he will be a trophy president, who won't take questions. When he gets a question he doesn't like, he will storm out. I don't want anyone who wasn't allowed to make a decision for himself for 5 years to suddenly have so much power he's making decisions for the world. He's scary and I will NEVER vote for him.

September 23, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  16. EBC

CAN WE SAY BULLY McCAIN?

September 23, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  17. Already Voted for Barack and I feel great!

What???? Now is the time for McCain to go to Florida and get a TAN.

September 23, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  18. Janine

I have to agree with Daley. The McCain that I see is not the same McCain of 2000. If he does get elected, I wonder who will be pulling the strings. Scary.

September 23, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  19. William J.

John McCain has surrendered any honor he may have had. It is impossible to respect this man anymore.

Americans aren't stupid, John, and your campaign has been a disgrace.

September 23, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. William J.

You need thirteen cars, Mr. McCain? THIRTEEN? One or two is plenty for most Americans. Can't even buy American.

This guy has no clue whatsoever. Country first... unless you're taking Lexus or VW.

September 23, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  21. Mike from Dallas

Hey Chuck, you watch way too much FIX News. There are other Cable News channels you might want to check out before quoting a bunch of FIX News talking points.

September 23, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  22. Dean N

Simply pu McShame: You can RUN...but you can't HIDE. The problem with liars is once you tell one, you have tell another one to cover it up. CNN should do an exposé on how many lies (untruths) McShame has told and how many gaffes he has made. Let's see where the "No Bias..No Bull" really is.

September 23, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |