September 23rd, 2008

Daley slams new McCain ad

CNN

Watch: The McCain campaigns latest ad takes aim at Obama's hometown political figures.

(CNN) – Former Commerce Secretary Bill Daley, the unwilling co-star of a Monday attack ad from John McCain's campaign, told CNN he was "shocked" by the spot: "I always had a good relationship with [McCain] - or I thought I did."

The McCain spot attacks Barack Obama for his connection to "Chicago politics," pointing to his relationships with convicted developer Tony Rezko, embattled Governor Rod Blagojevich - and Daley.

Daley accused McCain of hypocrisy for attacking Obama on lobbyists: "When I was at [telecom company] SBC, I had to hire [McCain campaign manager] Rick Davis to see John McCain," he said. "He wouldn't see anyone unless you hired one of his lobbyist friends. Telecom was his and Rick Davis was his telecom lobbyist. That was in '02, '03, '04."

He said that McCain voted for his confirmation as Commerce Secretary, and pointed to the Arizona senator's public praise of his work in the Clinton cabinet.

(For instance, during a May 1998 confirmation hearing for another Commerce official, McCain said that since Daley's arrival, "relations for the department have been improving. Mr. Daley's frank, honest style and hard work have been reaping rewards." And in 2000, he pointed to Daley's "valiant effort to clean up the Commerce Department's reputation as a dumping ground for the politically connected.")

Said Daley Monday: "I think [McCain] has totally sold his soul to get elected. The things he found important in 2000 he isn't doing now."

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Peter (CA)

Debby-still haven't had enough of the Kool-Aid yet?

The dates are in the past but the facts still continue. The McCain campaign is run by lobbyists. Oh sure, they are not CURRENTLY working as lobbyists but, come November, either they will go back or they will take positions in the Administration where their "old friends" can look them up for favors.

McCain, a man who had honor on his side in 2000, has flushed his legacy down the drain. So desperate to win that he will lie and lie and lie, even with the facts staring him in the face.

September 23, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  2. Jesus Praising & Freedom Loving Patriot

"CHICAGO SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS"

HOME of the current Wall St Crisis.

September 23, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  3. Keith COrnelius

TO, the other JD, there are Hillary Democrats, I am a registered DEMOCRAT not a registered LIBERAL. Obama chose someone who only got about 8,000 votes vs Hillary who rec'd 18,000,000.......IF he feels he couldn't control Hillary or Bill how the heck is he going to run the country......A TRUE LEADER SURROUNDS HIMSELF WITH SUCCESFULL EPOPLE AND CAN ACCEPT HIS OWN SHORT COMINGS....no one person knows all.....so here we have a judgment issue......imagine that...Hillary and Bill have been in the Whitehouse for eight years those are the very people you want by yourside so they can help guide you through the obstacles he will face.....But I guess since he isn't going to win, it is a mute issue at this point....FACT !!!

September 23, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  4. CM

Daley is just reiterating what has been said over and over again.

That is the main reason why I laugh at the GOP supporters who come on here with their writing in all caps, excessive punctuation and GOP key words and not making one lick of sense.

Everyone else in the world gets it, why don't you guys?

September 23, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  5. Robert in Virginia

A question for CNN. Will you confront McCain with Daley's comment about paying Rick Davis (a lobbyist) to get access to McCain?

September 23, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  6. banderson

This is the story that the media should be running day and night.

September 23, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  7. Mike from Calgary

HAS McGAIN DENIED THE RICK DAVIS INFLUENCE PEDDLING HISTORY RELATED BY DALEY?

VERY SERIOUS ALLEGATIONS – HAVE MvCAIN OR DAVIS DENIED OR COMMENTED YET!

September 23, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  8. Jon

This should really be publicized as much as possible. The lies coming out of the McCain campaign are unbelievable. If he somehow wins the election (doesn't seem possible at this point, but you never know), the U.S. would be headed down a long, dark path.

September 23, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  9. gracie

I love all of the bickering about this ad. Unfortunately most of America doesn't realize how TRUE it is. All of you huge Obama supporters need to educate yourselves on the Chicago/Illinois political arena. I have said over and over again to anyone that will listen that if Obama's supporters knew anything about where he came from and who is backing him they would run as far away from him as possible (I have lived in Chicago my entire life).

Ask Mr. Obama what "changes" he and his cronies made in the neighborhoods he worked for as a community organizer, legislator and senator. Rather, why don't you all come to Chicago and drive through his area and you will see exactly what empty promises mean.

September 23, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  10. Sebastian

I'm a black Democrat and, in 2000, I'd have voted for John McCain.

I can not vote for the John McCain in2008. He is not the same man. He has sold his soul to the devil to get the nomination.

John McCain's best days are BEHIND HIM and I can not follow him.

September 23, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  11. Ted (Chicago)

Bill Daley was mayor of Chicago?

Not in this reality. Nice fact-checking, CNN...

September 23, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  12. Sam7_OR

The Republicans (the ‘so called’ conservatives, religious right, evangelical, etc…) have long decided that no one in their beloved party could win the Whitehouse based on issues (considering the last 8 years). Instead, they figured that their only chance would be if they nominate someone based on their personal appeal, hence their pick of Mr. McCain, whom they believed (at the time) to be their knight & shining armor. HUGE MISTAKE!
    Since he became the apparent nominee, not a day went by without this man misspeaking about one thing or another. Everyone around him realized the grave situation they were in, and had to act quickly to create a distraction, hence brought in LIPSTICK PALIN. Every time I saw this lady’s face, I would painfully recall her ABC interview, when she would say (with that nasally voice) “in what context CHARLIE”. So many misleading comments were made, and the expressions on her face were always the same… beady looking eyes with half a smirk.
    McCain keeps saying “Country First MY FRIENDS”; selecting Palin as his running mate sure proves otherwise…

September 23, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  13. Peggy

Why don't you people investigate on your own before believing everything that's printed at CNN. Find out the REAL truth behind Obama. What is his REAL AGENDA? I can't believe all these comments.........You're all falling right into the hands of the OBAMA/DALEY MACHINE. That's what sheep do.....fall right in line, follow the "leader".....

September 23, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  14. Noah

The ad is effective for those of us who actually take the time to look into Obama's shady past. He is a product of the Chicago political machine. He has never stood for change in his entire political career. He has always towed the party line and has never stood up to another Democrat. he is the most liberal member of Senate and America just does not want that kind of Socialist in office.

September 23, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  15. Ellemn Rudolf

It's funny how so many of th efolks who comment on these news stories show their biases. I am an Independent who is undecided, abd I have noted that if Obam runs an ad that slams MCCain,all the McCAinites go mad. However, when th eshoe is on the other foot, they are silent. Folks, in a democracy such as ours fairness is foundational tenet. So, when folks are biases as I have noted most wiyh the McCAin supporters, you do your candidate a diservice by pointing out that he to is biased and dishonest. Grow up. Psychology is telecasting your untrustworthtiness and HATE!!!

September 23, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  16. Ron

It is not personal Mr. Daley. Just nasty McBush politics. He would throw anyone under the bus to gain power and glory.

September 23, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  17. David from Ohio

This is too BAD. I guess politics and ambition change people. It has certainly changed Mr. McCain. I supported Mr. McCain in 2000. I just don't think I can do the same this year based on the way how Mr. McCain is running his campaign.

September 23, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  18. Tim

Uh, let me wake up...........

Ah, thanks.

Um, Bill Daley was never the mayor of Chicago.

Um, keep up the quality reporting.

September 23, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  19. McLiar

Peggy's Agenda = Racism

September 23, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  20. Dal CA

CAN that be considered as PORK for friends or lobbyist? May be McShame likes to be generous to his handlers rather than the people who VOTE for him.
    Looks like he has done nothing for ARIZONA but his lobbyist friends are getting the benefits.
    The way to go MC Shame

September 23, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  21. Finally

I'm glad that this has come to light but why do these people wait until they are personally attacked to share this kind of information with the American people. It should be on a need to know basis and we need to know before November.

I thank Mr. Daley and others like him like Scott McCLellan but I wish that they would be so forthcoming a lot sooner.

September 23, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  22. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

Debby, do I understand that you still Like McCain? I guess he has come around to your way of thinking is that it? did you listen to the AD? he is impying that Sen. Obama has always been this way. Se. Obama came to Congress is 2005 but the ad does not talk about Sen. Obama in 2005 it talks about him farther in the past. I understand you want to see your candidate win; but at what cost?
    and let me tell you my dear your candidate has plenty of shadows that are of big concern for a lot of Americans. so think before you lash out.

September 23, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  23. John in Ohio

Daley sees what the rest of us see.

John McCain from 2000 was killed by 2008 John McCain.

See, McCain was seduced by the Dark Side of Politics. He ceased to be John McCain 2000 and became John McCain 2008. When that happened, the good man who was the Senator from Arizona was destroyed. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view. You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. John McCain was a good friend. When I first knew him, McCain was already a great senator. But I was amazed how strongly the political power was with him. There is still good in him? No, he's more Republican political machine now than man. Twisted and evil.

September 23, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  24. Jack Walden

No wonder McCain is looking more like Saddam Hussains informational minister these days-Delusional, lying and totaly out of touch with the reality

September 23, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  25. Mike from Calgary

Just looked at MCCain's ad, and heard "I am John McCain and I approve this message." McCain always was a slow learner, who did not o his homework but at least he had some honour. Every time I see a Republican ad "APPROVED" by John McCain, I shake my head at how dishonourable a man he has become. Then again his first wife knows what a lying cheating scoundrel he has been – same thing for Cindy McCain. His conduct is more dishonourable day after day! His republican ads just reinforce that notion!

September 23, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |