September 23rd, 2008

Daley slams new McCain ad

CNN

Watch: The McCain campaigns latest ad takes aim at Obama's hometown political figures.

(CNN) – Former Commerce Secretary Bill Daley, the unwilling co-star of a Monday attack ad from John McCain's campaign, told CNN he was "shocked" by the spot: "I always had a good relationship with [McCain] - or I thought I did."

The McCain spot attacks Barack Obama for his connection to "Chicago politics," pointing to his relationships with convicted developer Tony Rezko, embattled Governor Rod Blagojevich - and Daley.

Daley accused McCain of hypocrisy for attacking Obama on lobbyists: "When I was at [telecom company] SBC, I had to hire [McCain campaign manager] Rick Davis to see John McCain," he said. "He wouldn't see anyone unless you hired one of his lobbyist friends. Telecom was his and Rick Davis was his telecom lobbyist. That was in '02, '03, '04."

He said that McCain voted for his confirmation as Commerce Secretary, and pointed to the Arizona senator's public praise of his work in the Clinton cabinet.

(For instance, during a May 1998 confirmation hearing for another Commerce official, McCain said that since Daley's arrival, "relations for the department have been improving. Mr. Daley's frank, honest style and hard work have been reaping rewards." And in 2000, he pointed to Daley's "valiant effort to clean up the Commerce Department's reputation as a dumping ground for the politically connected.")

Said Daley Monday: "I think [McCain] has totally sold his soul to get elected. The things he found important in 2000 he isn't doing now."

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Crush Rush

The best thing Obama can do is come to Texas,home of the Republican base and all things "red state",including big oil and many others in power.He can get a large welcome and show hes got many followers here who will vote for him.He wont win Texas but he will shakeup the red states.Its a Rovian move to go after the oppositions strength.Please post this CNN.

September 23, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  2. IWASP!-Intellgent Woman Against Sarah Palin!

Peggy – are you kidding me? Wow you are past being a racist, you are a neanderthal. Besides telling you what to think, do the rethuglicans tell you what to eat too?

September 23, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  3. Theresa

Another day, Another lie.....
    GO OBAMA!

September 23, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  4. M. Winners, Mesa, AZ

The McCain/Palin campaign strategy:

"Fear, Smear, Mock and LIE".

McCain is selling out his honor to be POTUS – So much for country first.

McCain and Palin both are hypocrites and a liars....

September 23, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  5. pam Eugene OR

I could have easily voted for McCain in 2000. That man has been totally replaced by the "new" McCain. The new McCain has no honor, not integrity, and openly lies to America.
    Shame on you John McCain, you have sold you soul. You have fallen to the bottom of the pit.

September 23, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  6. Bulldog

John McCain wants to give away $300 million federal dollars for a better car battery. If that's not pork barrel waste I don't know what is.

September 23, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  7. Ryan

Rome fell in a day. If McCain is elected the United States will fall Nov. 4, 2008.
    We can't afford more of the same.
    Vote Obama for change.

September 23, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  8. Janet, Senior W/F American Abroad

McCain obviously hasn't looked in a mirror lately and see who his twin is, along with the group around him? He didn't is out of touch!

September 23, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  9. ray

what a sham white people, hahaha plain met with the media for 29 sec.. what a f..ing joke and this is the woman you whiote people thinks is god, get a life white america and start facing the truth about this woman,i know you cant handle the truth

September 23, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  10. Patrick

Grandpa has sold his soul to the devil. It's so sad. He WILL lose this election and ruin his reputation at the same time.

September 23, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  11. Patrick

Obama up 7, latest PPP Poll in Colorado. McCain's in deep deep trouble. YES....WE...CAN!

September 23, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  12. Moe, NY

McCain/Palin = King/Queen of sleaze.

September 23, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  13. Shane

More and more voters are finding out just how John McCain works. He'll stop at nothing to get his way. John McCain has a temper and Palin is stubborn....what a combination for disaster!

OBAMA/BIDEN

September 23, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  14. rodlang

Chicago politics is as dirty as it gets. Real hard ball politics. Obama learned from the master. He also learned how to hate America from Ayres, Wright, Rezko. Fine company he keeps.

September 23, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  15. Mandy

Zinger!!......nailed one of his own. McCain will stop at nothing to attract a vote.
    OBAMA/BIDEN

September 23, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  16. josephine

What boggles the mind is that they can lie with such straight faces and if you were not aware of their sleazy ways you'd actually think that what they're saying is truth. What confuses me even more is that it has been established that both of them are liars but the race is still too close to call. Amazing!!!

September 23, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  17. TODD

People are suffering. It will be interesting if the voters stick with what got them there or will they step in a new diretion.

OBAMA/BIDEN

September 23, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  18. JOE KILOZ

M R,,,,,,,,,,,,D A I L E Y,,,,,,,,,,,,D O N, T,,,,,,,,,,,,P U T,,,,,,,,,,L I P S T I C K,,,,,,,,,,

O N,,,,,,,,,,O B A M A,,,,,,,,A N D,,,,,,,,,,,,R E S K O,,,,,,,,,,A N D,,,,,,, A Y E R S,,,,

A N D,,,,,,,,,,,C H I C A G O,,,,,,,,,,,P O L I T I C S,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I T ,,,,,,,,,,,, I S,,,,,,,,,,,,C O R R U P T I O N,,,,,,,,,,,,1 0 1

September 23, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  19. Margo

Senator McCain is not the candidate that ran in 2000. He HAS sold his soul and he does not get my vote.

September 23, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  20. Emily

McCain: 13 cars

September 23, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  21. IAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAI

E L L I O T T-----N E S S----–A N D------T H E---

U N T O U C H A B L E S----W O U L D----P U T---–

D A L E Y----O B A M A--–B O D GA L O V I C H---I N---

T H E--–P E N---I N--–N O---T I M E

September 23, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  22. 9999

C H I C A G O,,,,,,,,,B I R T H P L A C E,,,,,,,,,O F,,,,,,,,C O M M U N I T Y,,,,,,,,

O R G A N I Z I N G,,,,,,,,,,,,

Y E A H,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S U R E

September 23, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  23. Kentucky

I pooped on my shoe last night...see McCain, I can tell a lie too! I'm getting sick of these people saying Obama is a media hog. You're kiddin, right? Just because he has intelligent things to say, which is why people listen, doesn't make him a media hog. People watch him because he makes sense, inspires, and has good ideas and because if they watched John whats his face, you may as well go ahead and take a few points off your IQ. I don't even want to get started on Sarah Palin. I wouldn't trust her to watch my dog while I took a leak. After she gets done making a fool of herself, Alaska won't even want her.

September 23, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  24. PUMA for Palin

Vegas Barbie for Obama-

Look at FactCheck.Org before making yourself look like a dumb blonde again.

Vote McCain-Palin – True Mavericks for a government face lift!

September 23, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  25. Tony

IAN!

DON'T FEEL BAD. A LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE ARE THROWING THEIR VOTES AWAY.

September 23, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |