September 23rd, 2008

Obama targets Latino voters with new ads

The Obama campaign's new Spanish language ads focus on economic issues.
The Obama campaign's new Spanish language ads focus on economic issues.

(CNN) – In the wake of the crisis on Wall Street, the Obama campaign is targeting Latinos in four key battleground states with new ads focused on economic issues.

In the new Spanish-language radio ad “Crisis Económica” - “Economic Crisis” – the Obama campaign once again highlights McCain’s recent statement that “’The fundamentals of our economy are strong,” and accuses McCain of having “no clue about the struggles of the middle class and working people.” McCain and Republicans “can’t fix our economy if they don’t know it’s broken,” says a female announcer.

The campaign’s new 30-second Spanish language television ad, “No Hay Mayor Obligación” - “There Is No Greater Obligation” - strikes similar themes. “Maybe John McCain and the Republicans don’t want to bother themselves with the prosperity of our families, but for us, there’s no greater obligation,” a female voice says as the ad ends.

McCain surrogate Rosario Marin, former U.S. Treasurer, hit back in a Tuesday statement released by the campaign. “Barack Obama has once again lied and distorted John McCain’s record on the economy,” said Marin, adding that on taxes, “the only thing Barack Obama can offer to Hispanics is total lack of leadership.”

“Crisis Económica” and “No Hay Mayor Obligación” begin airing Tuesday in New Mexico, Florida, Nevada and Colorado.

1. Enlightened Voter

Back in February of this year a reporter asked Mccain about Latinos. Mccain replied "They are good for manual labor." The reporter then asked "Is that all?" Mccain smiled and turned away from the reporter who didn't have a camera but he filmed it on his cell phone that is why mccain didn't think he was live. Very interesting to know what mccain thinks of Latinos.

September 23, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  2. VIRGINIA will be blue

Crisis Económica

Why doesn't Sen. Mcsame know any spanish? Hell, his state borders Mexico. He should know a little espanol.

September 23, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  3. JD in NC

If McCain wants to put a cap on executive salaries, why is he against Obama's plan to raise their taxes? McCain was ready to give these guys the biggest tax cut in his tax plan!

September 23, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  4. Independent

What lie? Throwing the word around does not work if there are no facts to back it up.

Oh and did anyone see the two press confrence today on the economy?

Obama portrayed confidence and understanding of the situation (made me feel like someone is there making sure we do not get hoodwinked)

McCain looked like he was scared to death...he rrrreally must not like this subject.

September 23, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  5. Candy West Virginia

Wish I knew the link where mccain said Latinos were only good for manual labor.

September 23, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  6. mitchell

great ad. honesty for our latino brothers and sisters. republicans will destroy latino family structures.

September 23, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  7. Anti Palin...Pro Women

palin=liar
    mcWar=loser

September 23, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  8. Lynette

I'll take lack of leadership anyway if experience causes the crisis we are in...flat broke.

September 23, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  9. Don

What is the problem with John McCain and his family realizing the American Dream...who cares if they have 7 house or 13 cars?? If any of us here could do it, we would...don't be a hypocrite because this man has done well. Obama may only own one house and one car, but he and Michelle are not worrying about the price of milk..thats for sure. I am a democrat and I am disgusted by all the attacks from my party..and the blogs are even worse..funny how Obama loyalist hated Hillary Clinton a few months back...but now worship her.. This will all be over soon thank goodness.

September 23, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  10. Derick from ATL

lets listen to what McCain says about becoming president....

On page 373 of John McCain's 2002 memoir Worth the Fighting For, you'll find the following quote:
    "I didn't decide to run for President to start a national crusade for the political reforms I believed in or to run a campaign as if it were some grand act of patriotism. In truth, I wanted to be President because it had become my ambition to be President. I was sixty-two years old when I made the decision and I thought it was my one shot at the prize."
    ^ a b McCain, John; Salter, Mark (2002). Worth the Fighting For. New York: Random House. ISBN 0-375-50542-3. p. 373.
    Please please please don't vote for a man who only wants to win "the prize" of the presidency.

September 23, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  11. McCain lost another one

LOL...the McCain camp is desperate

September 23, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  12. baby mama

NOBAMA 08

September 23, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  13. Latina for Obama (nj)

SI se puede!!!!

Yes we can!

September 23, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  14. IndependentThinker, NY

I am starting to like this guy, LOL!
    Hit the old dude harder and harder BO
    I have news for McPalin: BO ain't Al Gore and Kerry
    Watch out!

September 23, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  15. Pennsylvania

How many Toyotas are made in the United States? Many
    How many Fords have Mexican and Canadian parts under the hood? Most.

Obama needs to wake up and stop playing the lowest common denominator. People are seeing thu the BS.

As for how many cars McCain owns, who cares. I own 2 and I am single. Does that make me rich?

Besides, why doesnt Obama go to western Penn and tell the voters he is against coal like his running mate did in Ohio. Is Obama still bitter about Penn?

September 23, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  16. VIRGINIA will be blue

Sen. McCain: No habla espanol

September 23, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  17. Pam

LOL! It just cracks me up when the McCain campaign accuses Obama of lying! They act so indignant, it's hilarious!

September 23, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  18. Mercedes

Viva Obama! This is the only hope that we have for our great nation.

September 23, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  19. Patrick, Fairfield, CA

I normally don't agree with negative ads, but McCain and the Republicans wanted this type of war of words with all the mud slinging and now they have it! Obama has decided to go on the offensive and is hitting McCain hard. He must continue to send the message that McCain is no different than Bush and he must tie in facts to prove it to Americans who are still undecided in the key swing states.

September 23, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  20. mitchell

this economic collapse is all palin's fault for that bridge!

September 23, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  21. noway-nohow-nobama

Obama could care less about Latino voters. I can't understand why the frenzy over him. Obama is nothing but an empty suit. He's also arrogant to boot. He is s juniot senator with zero executive experience and with a long and close relationship with a racits Pastor.

Change???? GIVIE ME A BREAK!!!!! I am so sick of the word "change"

Who said "change" is always a good thing? Obama has the potential
    to "change" this country's dire situation from bad to worse.

As a Latino Democrat, I simply cannot vote for this guy, I just don't trust him. I rather take my chances on McCain for 4 more years.
    Yeah, I rather have four more years of the same than a complete disaster with an Obama administration.

September 23, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  22. Abby

Si Se Puede!

September 23, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  23. Karen - Missouri

Obama is NOT lying...McCain's videos and voting records tells us just what McCain is like...McCain's sneaky, deceitful, manipulative.

OBAMA/BIDEN...YES WE CAN AND WE WILL!

Obama no es mentir ... McCain y los vídeos de los registros de votaciones nos dice exactamente lo que McCain es como ... McCain astuto, engañoso, manipulador.

OBAMA / BIDEN...YES podemos y vamos a!

September 23, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  24. mayah

McCain will gather all the illegals and send them packing,,, check out his immigration package..

September 23, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  25. darko

JD... he's against rasing the taxes of the companies...not the executives. Geez....
    Do you realise that America taxes its companies more than any other nation? Do you still wonder WHY they're moving overseas and taking the jobs with them? It's not rocket science people...it's taxes.

Obama will say ANYTHING to get the Latino vote. Tell me, what has Obama EVER done for any minority other than African Americans?

and CNN...FACT CHECKS are pointless when you end them with your opinion. Objective reporting is dead here.

September 23, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |