September 23rd, 2008

Obama targets Latino voters with new ads

The Obama campaign's new Spanish language ads focus on economic issues.
The Obama campaign's new Spanish language ads focus on economic issues.

(CNN) – In the wake of the crisis on Wall Street, the Obama campaign is targeting Latinos in four key battleground states with new ads focused on economic issues.

In the new Spanish-language radio ad “Crisis Económica” - “Economic Crisis” – the Obama campaign once again highlights McCain’s recent statement that “’The fundamentals of our economy are strong,” and accuses McCain of having “no clue about the struggles of the middle class and working people.” McCain and Republicans “can’t fix our economy if they don’t know it’s broken,” says a female announcer.

The campaign’s new 30-second Spanish language television ad, “No Hay Mayor Obligación” - “There Is No Greater Obligation” - strikes similar themes. “Maybe John McCain and the Republicans don’t want to bother themselves with the prosperity of our families, but for us, there’s no greater obligation,” a female voice says as the ad ends.

McCain surrogate Rosario Marin, former U.S. Treasurer, hit back in a Tuesday statement released by the campaign. “Barack Obama has once again lied and distorted John McCain’s record on the economy,” said Marin, adding that on taxes, “the only thing Barack Obama can offer to Hispanics is total lack of leadership.”

“Crisis Económica” and “No Hay Mayor Obligación” begin airing Tuesday in New Mexico, Florida, Nevada and Colorado.

1. Bob (Illinois)

McCain and what's-her-name just don't get it! All they can do is say It's Obama's fault! That is truly pitiful.

September 23, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  2. Hardcore Republican

We don't care what they do. I think we can win without the Latino votes. After all, the they are less than 10% and won't show up for voting. So, who cares...

September 23, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  3. tgram

McCain Dos Caras! McCain Dos Caras!

September 23, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  4. Victor

McCAIN IS A COMPLETE JOKE AND HE IS WORKING AT MAKING AMERICA A MOCKERY TO THE WORLD. THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE WHEN HIS CAMPAIGN SAID TO THE FACE OF THE MEDIA THAT THE ELECTION IS NOT GOING TO BE ABOUT ISSUES, THAT IT IS GOING TO BE ABOUT A PERSON, DESPITE ALL THE ISSUES THE THREATENING THE STABILITY OF THE NATION. WHY ARE CNN AFRAID TO TAKE McSAME ON BY COMPELLING HIM TO DISCUSS ISSUES RATHER THAN GIVING HIM HEADLINES FOR LYING?

September 23, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  5. Liberals for Obama!!

What, you mean my underpaid, overworked servants have the right to vote?? Oh, you mean legal immigrants?? Thank God!!

September 23, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  6. Angela

McCain has said this for 26 years:

"REgulations? We don't need no stinking regulations!!!"

6 weeks to go in the campaign, experts agree that that was one of the reason's of this economic disaster.

McCain now:
    "I love regulations. Regulations is great!"

September 23, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  7. Rick

No habla. No taxes. Vote for me.

September 23, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  8. Michael

McCain has cozied up with Rush Limbaugh. As I recall Rush Limbaugh pounded the Latino's pretty hard. I guess Rush is learning that words do count and I guess John McCain is learning that he cozied up with the wrong bucket mouth. It's amazing how McCain will say and do anything to attract a vote.
    VOTE OBAMA for change!

September 23, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  9. Obama Supporter

With McCain refusing to let the media interview Palin w/foreign Officials tells me that he and she are hiding lots of thing from the American Citizens. I am not proud of the media and their antics but for the most part its seems as if McCain/Palin have control of the media as well.

I am not voting for the McUggh/Impalin. They're too dishonest for me.

September 23, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  10. Mimachela from Florida

I think this year a lot of us (hispanics) are going to show up and vote. My vote goes to Obama.

I wish McCain will not approve messages that are lies.

September 23, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  11. Jill

Notice how McCain blames everyone except himself? It's everybodys fault but his. Time to grow up John, your 73 years old!

September 23, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  12. No need for loopholes

Wait, I'm confused... is Obama targeting latinos in these ads, or his his teleprompter? I... er... uh... eh... uhh.... err... I.. uh...

That supposed "change" sounds a lot like the mumbling, stumbling re-tread we've got in office now.

September 23, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  13. Ally

Poor John McCain, everybody is picking on him and Sarah. GROW THE HECK UP!

September 23, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  14. Maureen, Newman California

Enlightened voter- That is what a lot of Republicans think of all minorities. Why do you think there was a sea of white at the Republican convention? Obama supports equal rights and welcomes diversity. I am a white woman and I will never vote for anyone that supports Archie Bunkers' ideals.

September 23, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  15. rob

Oh, the Obama campaign found some more ways to misquote and take things out of context, or are they just outright lying in this one? Well, ok, they usually are lies, I guess I should ask if they found anyone else's comments they could twist and distort.

September 23, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  16. Marie

VIVA OBAMA!

September 23, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  17. rob

Another question, I forget, is Obama for the Latino/a community which supports illegal immigration or for the unions who favor American workers over illegal/legal immigrants?

Guess it depends on who's gonna give him more votes or write him the bigger check.

September 23, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  18. Hispanic Female Republican

Please, give me a break, do you really think Obama's going to help the Hispanics here? What really have the Dems done for the Hispanics.

Don't insult my intelligence. As an college educated hispanic female, I've not seen any example of where the Dems have helped.

Get an education and stop thinking the government should hand you everything!

McCain/Palin '08!!!!

September 23, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  19. Not me

Mexican for McCain!

September 23, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  20. Mikey

darko September 23rd, 2008 5:05 pm ET
    Do you realise that America taxes its companies more than any other nation? Do you still wonder WHY they're moving overseas and taking the jobs with them? It's not rocket science people…it's taxes.
    ________________________________________________
    Okay – I pulled financial statements of three U.S. Companies and three overseas companies that I thought of off the top of my head. All six companies are consistently profitable. The U.S. companies (GE, Microsoft, JP MorganChase) had an average effective tax rate (taxes as a % of pre tax income) over the past 2 years of 24.8%. The three foreign companies (Toyota, Nokia, Sandvik) had an effective tax rate of 28.8%.

WE DO NOT HAVE THE HIGHEST CORPORATE TAXES IN THE WORLD ! That is propaganda – pure and simple.

Jobs are not going overseas because of taxes. These corporations are still subject to U.S. taxes, no matter where their manufacturing activities take place. It is primarily because of the price of labor and the ability to get around environmental standards. That is exactly why Senator Obama wants to ensure that trade agreements at least take into account reasonable environmental, human rights, and labor standards – to level the playing fiend as much as possible.

September 23, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  21. Dee Tee Gee

Hardcore Republican represents the GOP's sentiment toward minority votes. They don't want them. Whether Obama is lying or not in this ad, at least he's showing that he's interested in the Hispanic vote. What has McCain or Palin done to get the Hispanic vote? Absolutely nothing & why? Because they don't care. The GOP is worried about the wealthy & and the wealthy only. John McCain's downfall in this election is his party's constant insulting of the intelligence of the majority of the American people. We need the female vote, they go get Sarah Palin. Women want a COMPETENT woman in the White House, not any woman. Since we're in a war, let's tug at America's heartstrings, John McCain goes on & on about being a POW. How exactly does that translate into experience? That was 40 years ago wasn't it? The world has changed since then. Everything Obama says, McCain copycats him. Obama said we need to protect Main St. as well as Wall St., & then here comes McCain with the same line. At least Obama doesn't think he's above talking to the common man. McCain wants no part of the common man.

September 23, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  22. Mccain is Bush

obama is very smart they know how to run things around in his campaign he is going to do wonders in the White House. Thank you Obama keep hitting them republican they are getting weaker and weaker. Go Obama Go

September 23, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  23. nelda

If McCain really cared for the Latinos, wouldn't he be more in favor of helping their pockets. He has done NOTHING to help these latinos get ahead of the game. instead it becomes increasingly harder for them to afford a college education, own a home, and live the American dream.

Latinos need to wake up and look at his past record with them.

September 23, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  24. demi1971

to: noway-nohow-nobama,

How can you say that Obama does not care for Latinos? Obama cares for all people regardless of your race, there are no color lines with him, everyone is truly equal. Obama has made a difference (personally) in the lives of over 100,000 people, what difference have you made? Other than to blog silly stuff with no foundation.

I can't believe you are Hispanic / Latino and voting Republican, help your kind and then focus on trying to fit in, see if the Republicans let you. Notice how many Latinos were at the Republican Convention... only the ones cleaning the place. Check out McCain's Immigration Plan and then decide to vote for him.

I respect Obama because he represents the "American Dream" which is what we all want to achieve, he represents everyone, not just African Americans. Remember he is 50% why can't he chose to be white? because of color standards.

Republicans truly only benefit 10% of Americans and I wonder why they get about 40% (+/-) of the votes. I am thinking that is because of all the lies and deceit thrown out there and people buy into their b.s. If an citizen is in the upper 10% making over Medium income then go and vote for your man, but if you are with the rest of us then Obama is your candidate.

RE: the Spanish Commercials, I speak Spanish and I must say, the commercials are right one, McCain does say that our economy is sound and that can be translated in any language.

For everyone else commenting on this page, this clown going by "noway-no-obama" does not represent me or any other Hispanic/ Latino person.

No hay nadie mas por quien votar, solo por OBAMA/BIDEN 08

Para los Latinos, Hispanos, Mexicanos, Espanoles, Centro Americanos, Cubanos, Puerto Riquenos, Sur Americanos... Para el Mundo Latino.

Buena Suerte!

September 23, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  25. nelda

McCain's comment that Latinos were "good for manual labor" speaks VOLUMES about his true feelings towards these people.

Latinos need to wake up and smell his stupidity. McCain has done NOTHING for them.

September 23, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |