September 24th, 2008

McCain aide: Friday debate will take place if bailout passes

(CNN) - McCain senior advisor Mark Salter told reporters Wednesday that the Arizona senator’s decision followed two days of discussions with colleagues on Capitol Hill, who told him that the bailout plan from Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson faced an uphill fight.

He also said that McCain called President Bush today and told him of the plan, but would not characterize the president’s reaction to the proposal.

The McCain campaign will suspend airing all ads and all campaign events pending an agreement with Obama, as well as planned fundraising activities.

He added that McCain would take part in the debate as scheduled if Congress reached agreement on the measure by Friday morning.

(Updated to reflect McCain campaign announcement fundraising activities will be suspended)

Filed under: John McCain
  1. AMIGO

McLiar is a COWARD, McLiar is a COWARD, McLiar is a COWARD, McLiar is a COWARD – -

Keep repeating the chant, Repugnants !
    It is therapuetic !!!!!!!

2. Mike Nila

I am what most could call an “average American”. I earn around $45K/year working as a support staff person at a major university. I have about $200K tied up in a retirement fund, tied closely to the financial market. I own my own home and owe the bank more than half of my home’s value. I do not think the government should in any way approve any more “bailouts” of any kind. Over the several months I have had to tighten my financial belt, why can’t government and corporate institutions be forced to the same?
    Recently I see payments made to my retirement plan as donations (as opposed to contributions). My retirement plan has not made money for me since mid 2007. When I chose to invest in these markets I knew that there was risk involved. I don’t expect my government to now come and “bail out” my retirement account. Business is also a risk, one might make money and one might lose money.
    I think McCain’s latest statement to suspend campaigning as a completely political move. I believe that he might be running scared due to Obama’s latest rise in the polls. Why not get these two guys together in front of the American people and let them debate issues face to face?

3. Rita

THIS IS A PLOY!!!! The White House is puppeting John McCain to force the Democrats to push this bill through with little or no oversight! WAKE UP AMERICA, DO NOT LET JOHN MCCAIN AND BUSH BLACKMAIL OBAMA AND THE VOTERS INTO SUPPORTING THIS BILL WITH NO STRINGS ATTACHED!!! Our system was built on checks and balances FOR A REASON. It may take a little bit longer to come to a decision but this is what our country has been founded upon! WHERE IS THE CONSTITUTION IN ALL OF THIS, ITS LUDICROUS!

4. Dennis

Give me a break!!! This is nothing more then a political move for McCain. Check out the polls lately. Who is droping? MCCAIN!!!! And McCain doesn't want to debate Obama. McCain is using this financial crisis as a political tool. What a shame!!!!!

5. Alex

Oh, I get it. Make sure his rich friends' pockets are lined and THEN he'll debate. What a joke of a candidate and what a joke of a man. This is beyond ludicrous. Senator, if you're suspending your campaign, may I ask if you are still running for president? Brush up on the "strong fundamentals" on your own time. Democracy can't wait.

6. jeremy - tx

Surely McCain has to realize that he's making himself look more and more ridiculous every day. Not showing up to the debate isn't going to kill Obama's momentum. All it's going to accomplish is provide more ammunition for the argument that the McCain campaign is basically scared of the media and the American people.

Mr. McCain... pretending like you care now all of the sudden is more insulting to the American intelligence than not doing anything at all. Instead of trying to hold Congress hostage by threatening to not go to the debate, perhaps you should just go home, have an Ensure and take a nap. It's coming up on 3:30 in the afternoon, so you'll probably need to be getting ready to hit the early bird special at Luby's before too much longer too.

7. Cathy

This is CRAP.

McCain is playing the game of politics. What type of leader is McCain if he can't handle campaigning and dealing with the economy crisis. So if McCain becomes President, and we are going through another crisis, will he call up the Putin and ask for him to suspend his attack Georgia???

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! I really hope Obama doesn't fall for this complete political move. Obama can deal with the economy and deal with the Iraq war and other various issues in America...McCain is obviously NOT A MULTI-TASKER!!!!

8. JD in NC

It is not McCain's place to hold the democratic process hostage by selectively participating in it.

9. Sally from Cali

Is McCain suggesting that Congress should come up with a solution by Friday so that he can debate Obama?

How out of touch can McCain possibly be?

Would Romney or Lieberman please give him the Sarah Palin Cliff Notes version of economics 101.

10. Louis in DC

They should move the debate from Mississippi to Washington, DC. We have several universities in the area and the media are already here.

11. maxine

MEANING I WAS JUST TESTING YOU ALL TO SEE IF YOU WOULD AGREE WITH ME AND GET SOME POINT AT THE SAME TIME

12. willia713

Oh, I see. Now we're not postponing the debate so that one person can pretend that he alone tips the scales in Congress. No, no. Now we're holding the debate hostage so that McCain can look like a guy who gets things done. Mr. McCain, there is a vast number of elected officials and actual economics experts working on this current crisis. Your personal involvement is not required right now. Where we do require your personal involvement is in the debate on Friday. All of Congress can deal with the current economic situation. The country's future, however, will be largely determined over the next four years by either you or Mr. Obama, depending on what we the people decide. Show up on Friday, or sit down.

13. anthony

Are you kidding me! McCain knows he is losing campaign, and is snaking our of the debate. Congress can run without him as they have been doing.

The most important office, and he decides to bail out of debate. I am so tired of him laying out the conditions for Obama. First it is to do town halls, now stop a campaign and debate to let people see who he really is, and give the entire campaign time to reamunition with their one liners.

Get some courage McCain, and stop running away!

14. Anonymous

john mccain mysteriously starts to care about the economy when he suddenly realizes what he realizes...there is nothing wrong in using change to promote your career if you have evidence of change in your career there is something wrong in using your military record as as a shield from deserved scrutiny

15. Steve - southern Illinois

McCain can't afford to show up and have Obama shove McCain's pathetic record of deregulation in his face. Only total idiots can't see through this.

16. Sharon

McCain really is running scared.

September 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  17. Obama can still vote "Present" by proxy

Maybe McCain actually wants to be involved, but Obama can obviously keep up the campaign and vote his usual "present". The debate can be made up soon, so why say McCain is scared. He will do fine in this setting, Obama is the one who will be lost without the speech!!

September 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  18. No turning back 2008

This man, John Mccain, is scared out of his mind!

And he has the audacity to exude that the campaigning and debating will be on his terms only! lol That is laughable and America knows it.

If thats the case, there should have been ZERO campaigning during this election period. Arent we fightint two wars? Arent our men and women dying everyday in Iraq and Afghanistan because of the failed foreign policy of this administration? This man, mccain, thinks that somehow his presence in the senate will do something to imediately change the course of this economic crisis? He obviously feels some kind of guilt coming on as a result of his 26 year history or voting against regulatory measure that would have prevented such a crisis... John Mccain, save your monday morning quarterbacking for you pep rallies. America doesnt need you, the least qualified to guide the country during an economic crisis, making decisions at this time!!!

Stop running scared from the debates and stand up like the man you wish you were!

September 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  19. Yupik1

Sounds like a bribe to me.....I don't want the rich fools in the financial sector taking my hard paid tax money. Is this their way of getting a head start on Obama's tax increases for rich companies? I smell a fish and it stinks!

September 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  20. Gov Palin, WHY WON'T YOU SPEAK TO THE PRESS?

MC-CANE IS NOT READY! PALIN IS LESS THAN READY!!!!! THIS IS SAD! HE (MC CANE) CAN'T HANG!

HANG IN THERE OBAMA..I KNOW THIS IS A NUSANCE. THE RNC WITH MC-CANE ARE ACTING LIKE CHILDREN AND USING POLITICS TO PLAY WITH PEOPLE'S LIVES....

I'M CALLING MY REPRESENTIVES R-I-G-H-T N-O-W!!!!!!!! BTW SEN OBAMA, HERE COMES MORE MONEY

END THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  21. Sacto Joe

Come on. The debate shouldn't be used as a political football. It just won't take that much time for them to fit it in.

What's John McCain afraid of?

September 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  22. Joe

Look, this man (McCain) is a WAR HERO...he has always put Country first....IT IS OBVIOUS! Now he wants to DELAY the debate...not CANCELL it all together. CNN wake up and be real journalists and quit playing on OBAMA's team. RIDICULOUS! I thought that news journalists are suppose to tell the story without any bias!?! Remember Dan Rather?

DEMOCRAT for McCain...

September 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  23. J e r o n i m o !

OH?

R U KIDDING ME?

September 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  24. Grandma for O

The only thing that has changed about this financial crisis has been the polls and NOW John McCain wants to suspend his campaign.

He's running scared. The polls are going down. Sarah Palins flash in the pan excitement is wearing off. Her latest round of meetings have been less than impressive and McCains lies are being outed.

This is a stunt, plane and simple. Besides Senator, can't you do two things at once? It's a vote, vote in abstentia.

September 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  25. McHoover Will Destroy What is Left of America

What an obvious manipulation.

What in the world does this economic crisis have to do with running ads?

Oh, McCain is losing and wants a 'time out', hoping to take some of the momentum from Obama.

I cannot wait until Bush/McCain/Cheney/Palin and the rest crawl back into their holes.

September 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |