September 24th, 2008

McCain camp to propose postponing VP debate

(CNN) - McCain supporter Sen. Lindsey Graham tells CNN the McCain campaign is proposing to the Presidential Debate Commission and the Obama camp that if there's no bailout deal by Friday, the first presidential debate should take the place of the VP debate, currently scheduled for next Thursday, October 2 in St. Louis.

In this scenario, the vice presidential debate between Joe Biden and Sarah Palin would be rescheduled for a date yet to be determined, and take place in Oxford, Mississippi, currently slated to be the site of the first presidential faceoff this Friday.

Graham says the McCain camp is well aware of the position of the Obama campaign and the debate commission that the debate should go on as planned - but both he and another senior McCain adviser insist the Republican nominee will not go to the debate Friday if there's no deal on the bailout.

Filed under: Extra • Presidential Debates
soundoff (1,458 Responses)
  1. duh

COUNTRY FIRST!!

DEBATES CAN WAIT MORONS!!!

2. amusing!

May be postpone the election till Victory in Iraq, democracy in middle east, oil at $2 and they discover the youthful fountain. Lets add till all the world is a better place.

3. Colleen

They need more study time, so they want to cancel the test.

4. PLEASE POST MY COMMENT CNN...AMERICANS NEED TO BE INFORMED

I don't know what is wrong with yall posting my comments CNN, but I will tell you, I think McCain and his team saw Palin's interview with Katie Couric today and they panicked and set this plan into motion.

I am outraged about this, this whole thing. I know you all over here at CNN are trying to show bipartisanship but I get the best and most reliable and best angle on these things from THE DAILY SHOW and I know when I say anything meaningful or informative to American's on here I cannot get it posted.

Thank you from Houston, TX (yep TX, the swing state no one is talking about)

5. Joe Green

Utter cowardice.

McCain slams Obama for not showing up at his "town hall" meetings and then.....

....he ducks out on the debates!

John, the economy is "fundamentally strong" – you said so yourself.

This is a clear PLOY on your part.

I am so digusted I want to vomit.

I used to support this man, too.

6. former gop

COWARDS!!!

COWARDS!!!

COWARDS!!!

COWARDS!!!

COWARDS!!!

COWARDS!!!

7. Bob

Yeah! Let's postpone the VP debate until November 6th! If Palin says "But Rhett, I love you!", she has the wrong script.

8. Juge

What a farce!!!!!!!! What a hole the repugs have dug themselves into.

9. Steve

Sure John, and when the bailout gets worked out by Thursday evening, your next excuse will be, "I didn't have time to prepare for the debate. I'm delaying again." Or if you go ahead, and get your backside handed to you, you'll say, "I didn't have time to prepare." John, there are a lot of situations a president has to deal with that he or she can't be prepared for. What will happen when you are in a tense situation as president. Will you tell the other side to wait, so you and Sarah can get coached and briefed on what to say? Wonderful.

10. GRANT

Have the debate in Washington, tada problem solved.

11. Meka

MCCAIN AND GEORGE W BUSH ARE SINKING IN THE SAME WELL!

12. Sue in MI

Bush used similar tactics to ram the Patriot Act and the war down Congress' throats. Glad to see McCain using the same playbook. If it isn't voted in by Friday, he'll skip the debate. That is not leadership, it's blackmail.
    And the gorgeous Ms. Palin will never be ready for a debate, but some of the country still believes that she is ready to lead. I guess because she sends those words out of her lipsticked mouth, and points a manicured finger at them, and they'll fall for anything. Doesn't it bother Republicans that she can't hold an interview? Answer questions off the cuff? I thought she was this very bright quick study who would amaze America. I'm amazed that they haven't dumped her by now. Fluff and mirrors sum it up for me.

13. tedious898

IDIOTS one and all stating that McCain offered townhalls to Obama and the Sen. from Illinois didn't accept.

Obama is no idiot (like you people). He knows the low road McCain campaign would have "plants" in the audience to ask a question that's totally out of bounds and downright dishonest.

All you GOPers are IDIOTS to think the american people and Barack are stupid.

14. Laura in Washington

Wow! McCain is imploding. His campaign is utterly finished. He realizes that he will lose and that if he turns Palin lose, that she will come across as completely unprepared and therefore dangerous.

This is completely bizarre.

15. Deborah

Ahhhh...now we get to the heart of the issue don't we? Just another attempt, with great grandstanding thrown in for flavor, to shield Palin.

McCain disgusts me.

Obama/Biden '08

16. Tiger

Just switch the Prez and VP debates.
    Let Biden and Pallin debate THIS Friday.......Joe's ready....is Sarah?
    That would be eye-opener for America........poor,poor Sarah.

17. CJ

This is also a nice little tactic on behalf of the McCain campaign to direct everyone's attention from the big news that his economic aid Rick Davis was receiving payments from Freddie Mac up until last month. So, they are trying to kill two birds with one stone.

18. Melanie Hurley

I just listened in to Lou Dobbs. I must say I was discussed by his journalism, if you can even call it that. He projects his opinions 99% of the time without providing information that is factual. It is a diservice to the American people to listen to one person's opinions which are over the top emotional and fear driven. I would hope CNN could provide a journalist who is less tragic and more level headed. Yes, we understand the financial situation is bleak, however his emotional commentary is less than entertaining. Please, Lou get it together, you are not helping the American people feel confident.

19. Independant in Indiana

Untill the bailout is done, I think I should probably postpone going to work and paying my bills.

20. Mary McCleland

Unbelievable! McCain doesn't want Bush and Cheney at his convention, he conveniently cancels the first day of the Republican convention. He's down in the polls and getting kicked around by the economy and he wants to suspend the campaign and delay the debates to a time that suits him better and gives his running mate more time to prepare. His politics and tactics in this campaign are Me First, not Country First, and if he believes he's fooling anyone, he truly is out of touch.

21. chris

HILARIOUS!!!! Two chickens who want my vote to run the country and they cannot multi-task.

At a debate Palin can't sit lookin' cute sayin 'Good. Great. Yeah.'. LOL

22. Jack

I don't think a lot of you understand how little power these two individuals have in the Senate. They are 2 of 100 votes. They are not writing the legislation. This financial crisis will not be solved just because Obama or McCain show up to the Senate tomorrow.

Have the debates. This is a distraction.

23. Jan in CA

Ohhhh!! NOw we know what this charade is all about. He is trying to keep Palin from debating Biden. What a ploy!! He needs to either say she isn't qualified and get her off the ticket or he needs to stop treating her like she is an idiot!! What a sexist fool he is proving himself to be.

24. smart one

I have a better idea. Let Palin debate Bidden on the Friday night!

25. priscilla

As the American public we should be outraged!!! They (the media included) think we are dumb... We need to let them know we are smart! and we will not fall for this bull again! McCain has showed us what kind of leader he would make.. and its not a good one....

We need to call him out

No McCain, No way, No how

September 24, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59