September 24th, 2008

McCain camp to propose postponing VP debate

(CNN) - McCain supporter Sen. Lindsey Graham tells CNN the McCain campaign is proposing to the Presidential Debate Commission and the Obama camp that if there's no bailout deal by Friday, the first presidential debate should take the place of the VP debate, currently scheduled for next Thursday, October 2 in St. Louis.

In this scenario, the vice presidential debate between Joe Biden and Sarah Palin would be rescheduled for a date yet to be determined, and take place in Oxford, Mississippi, currently slated to be the site of the first presidential faceoff this Friday.

Graham says the McCain camp is well aware of the position of the Obama campaign and the debate commission that the debate should go on as planned - but both he and another senior McCain adviser insist the Republican nominee will not go to the debate Friday if there's no deal on the bailout.

Filed under: Extra • Presidential Debates
soundoff (1,459 Responses)
  1. ms_choice

I HAVE THE SOLUTION. Let's have the VP debate on Friday and the Presidental on the day the VP debate suppose to take place.

2. Judy Columbus

McCain's inability to show up at the debate in the midst of the economic discussion reminds me of President Bush continuing to read "My Pet Goat" to the children after hearing of the 9/11 crisis.

McCain can't separate himself from Bush. He IS Bush, only older and crankier.

3. Jack H.

Call his bluff. Reschedule the VP debate for this Friday. After all, Palin isn't really needed to help in this "crisis", is she?

4. Amy

No way!

We want to see Palin now, without her coaching and her cramming. The McCain campaign has hidden her long enough. If her own camp doesn't have faith in her abilities at this stage in the game, it is truly sad.

McCain/Palin not ready to debate, not ready to lead!

5. geo

I've never commented here before but it amazes me that McCain with two days to this debate just decides to drop out. Sorry that sort of behavior doesn't inspire me to support him one bit and comes across as very unprofessional.

6. Joshua College Station Texas

I hope Obama keeps the appointment, and that the news agencies let him speak alone, and that Obama then takes the opportunity to lay out his ideas and plans for the economy. He can sit there and be interviewed all by himself for all the country to see. That would be great! Absentee McCain's popularity would plummet in flames. Then Barack can hurry back to Washington to be involved in the talks.

7. bob

let's have palin not debate instead!!

8. KBigg

Why not have the VP debates this Friday in place of the other? How long can they keep her hidden...

9. Mindy

Come on does anyone really believe McCain can do anything for anyone but himself.I would have believed it if he hadn't met with Lady de Rothchild, given a quick interview to Katie with CBS and plans to give his speech at Bill Clinton's event in the morning. What is that all about and why isn't CNN stating that now.
    Leadership according to Lou Dobbs I believe Lou Dobbs like I believe those are his real teeth.. Personally I emailed my Senator Norm Coleman earlier today and asked him to make his vote known now. If this is more republican game playing and Norm votes with his party over the best interests of this country then I will move heaven and earth to make sure he is soundly defeated in Minnesota.
    Either this is a crisis or it is another rovian politics ploy concocted to ensure a republican win in Nov.
    Please. CNN do your JOB find out the truth.

10. Robert - Santa Rosa, CA

Shameful!

But you have to give them points for brilliance: How to divert attention from his campaign manager's fees, Bush's speech and Palen's unreadiness, all cloaked in a patriotic flag. Wow!

11. Lights, Camera, Action

Sarah:
    John, you won't believe this, but I don't think I'm ready.

John:
    What do you mean Sarah, you've got to be ready, you've got to win won for the Gipper.

Sarah:
    No John, I know what I'm capable of, and I will not be humiliated by Joe Biden.

John:
    Oh Joe Smoe, he can't beat you in a debate, you're great.

Sarah:
    Now look John, I've given up a lot to be at your side, and the least you can do for me is call off the debates.

John:
    Oh, alright, I'll think of something. Wait a minute, the country is in a financial crisis, I'll use that as an excuse, sure that'll work. Don't worry sweetheart, it's as good as done.

Fade to black.

12. Riaz

As an Independent, I am noticing a surge in numbers for Obama; this is the only way McCain can stop the surge since it is economy, which seem to be McCain's weak point. I prefer McCain face him in the debate so that we independents can get a better picture.

13. jane

the voters of this country should demand that the debate goes on as scheduled. mccain's antics are pathetic, sad and despicable. he claims ' America First'. this is more like 'McCain – First, allowing America to choose – Last'

14. Elaine

I think McCain realizes that it is hard to spend a whole hour screaming 'the sky is falling, the sky is falling' ....
    """`
    If, in fact, we live in a Democracy then let's let Bush make his case for a 'bailout' and those who want to send a check, can. That is the 'democratic' way to handle this situation.... hum, is it possible that we don't actually liven in a 'democracy'?

15. Dan in SLC

I wasn't sure if this was a stunt or not until I read this. She must be a total idiot. Obama shouldn't budge and call McCain's bluff.

16. Rasheedah

Yes Cain and Pain are not ready for their proposed debates that Cain begged to have. Now lets' look at this clearly. The Rep. Convention was postponed because of the hurricane when actually the themes and talks were lame, lacked substance and now the first presidential debate is being proposed by Cain to be moved to the same night that the VP debate is supposed to be. The media and the American people saw right through the phony 'meet foreign dignitaries' ploy by the Cain-Pain teamo. Oh now we're supposed to think that Palin (Pain) is NOW ready for foreign policy matters – that makes about as much sense as seeing Russia from my bedroom window in Alaska. The truth is Cain is suffering from the ability to think on his feet, talk straight and remember what he has spoken. And Pain's former beauty contestant experience is not going to carry her winningly through a debate with Biden.

17. Robert

Imagine if the shoe were on the other foot and Obama had cancelled. Can't you just hear 'em now, the howls and shrieks from the McCain camp and its acolytes? I'm sure we'd hear all about Obama's "monumental ego"and "political pandering." Hee hee, this is high comedy!

18. David, Silver Spring, MD

Wow, I wish my boss would let me off work (with pay, of course) so that I could deal with my own financial crisis.

Imagine McCain as President and we're at war in Iran. Then there's a big earthquake in LA. McCain calls Iran and says, "My enemies, we must suspend this war to focus on the calamity confronting the people at home."

John, you better learn to handle two problems at once, or you'll be the sorriest thing to ever take a seat in the Oval Office, including you-know-who.

September 24, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  19. Nanci

Who does McCain think he's fooling? He's afraid to debate Barak Obama and he obviously is scared to death to have Palin debate Biden.

September 24, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  20. lisa from az

This is a political farce to bury Authentic Joe Biden's effective foriegn policy attack on McCain today...Biden was brilliant and the story got buried. It also keeps a muzzle on the girl next door! Absolutely shameless day of political stunts from McCain. The debates must go on.

September 24, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  21. Emma from Texas

Just ann attempt by McCain to look like he's in charge. However, it sounds pretty ironic for a guy who a week ago was saying the fundamentals of the economy are strong to now be saying the country can't survive without him chairing an immediate bailout negotiation before markets open on Monday morning.
    Sorry, but I just dont see too many people buying that line. Its also ironic considering this is the guy who not long ago said he doesn't understand the economy and now afraid to go up against Obama in a debate.
    McCain=Empty Suit

September 24, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  22. Texas

Shouldn't the person ready to step in as President be ready to step in as CANDIDATE?

See ya in Oxford, Sarah Palin, and be sure to bring your debate shoes!!

September 24, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  23. onelove

Why doesn't McCain just back out of the race all together. If you are sincere about Country First.

September 24, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  24. ceecee

I am Canadian, but I sure see now why the world looks at Americans the way they do now. It's because many Americans are still so gullible and naive if not stupied as to allow a personality fraud and imperialistic capitalist greed like McCain and his rich second wife to pull the wool over their heads

Isn't it about time Americans elected someone who will bring the respect America once had in the world?

AMERICANS! THAT PERSON IS OBAMA – SO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES AND THINK. THIS IS ONE CHANCE YOU CANNOT BLOW.

September 24, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  25. Jimma

McCain's camp failed to deal with the reality.

September 24, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59