September 24th, 2008

Pakistan's president tells Palin she is 'gorgeous'

Pakistan president Asif Ali Zardari told Palin she's gorgeous.
Pakistan president Asif Ali Zardari told Palin she's gorgeous.

NEW YORK (CNN) – Sarah Palin and the foreign leaders she has met with in New York have said very little to reporters over the last two days, but the press happened to be in the room on Wednesday for one eyebrow-raising exchange, as the new president of Pakistan lavished praise on Palin's looks.

On entering a room filled with several Pakistani officials this afternoon, Palin was immediately greeted by Sherry Rehman, the country's Information Minister.

"And how does one keep looking that good when one is that busy?," Rehman asked, drawing friendly laughter from the room when she complimented Palin.

"Oh, thank you," Palin said.

Pakistan's recently-elected president, Asif Ali Zardari, entered the room seconds later. Palin rose to shake his hand, saying she was “honored” to meet him.

Zardari then called her "gorgeous" and said: "Now I know why the whole of America is crazy about you."

"You are so nice," Palin said, smiling. "Thank you."

A handler from Zardari's entourage then told the two politicians to keep shaking hands for the cameras.

"If he's insisting, I might hug," Zardari said. Palin smiled politely.

The Alaska governor did not answer questions from reporters at her first two appearances on Wednesday, when she joined McCain in meetings with Georgian president Mikheil Saakashvili and Ukrainian president Viktor Yushchenko, and then traveled downtown to meet with Iraqi president Jalal Talabani.

But she did offer brief remarks to a reporter at the Zardari meeting who asked about her day.

"It's going great," Palin said. "These meetings are very informative and helpful, and a lot of good people sharing appreciation for America."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Erick, NY

Is this sexist? Can someone tell me if this is sexist? I don't know what's sexist unless a talking head on TV tells me something is sexist so I can then go on message boards and rant vehemently about something that has absolutely nothing to do with the issues I care about.

September 24, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  2. leigh

Gorgeous is a sexist comment if a democrat utters it. Why is the McCain campaign advertising this? It has no bearing on foreign policy discussions what so ever.

September 24, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  3. Vince -- California

Yeah that is about all Palin going for her, but unfortunately this is an election, not a beauty contest .... Grow up Sarah, and end this "high school field trip" to the United Nations something you should have learned about in 8th grade social studies ..... but I guess in Alaska all they learn y'all about is huntin' and fishin'.

September 24, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  4. Pam

I just threw up in my mouth.

September 24, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  5. Piero

yeah, that's a qualification. Jeez.

September 24, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  6. L Wiren

Why are we not crying sexism now?!? Maybe this is an example of Palins grand experience in foreign affairs?

September 24, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  7. Aleisha

So gorgeous is ok, but smart or oh Sarah you have great ideas? Nothing. They are all laughing at us.

September 24, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  8. Moke - Mokuleia

Heh!? The Whole of America? I'm dumbfounded.....

September 24, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  9. Sophia, 23, FL

THIS IS FOREIGN AFFAIRS?!?!??!

September 24, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  10. Was Independant

that's all she's got and it won't last....

September 24, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  11. Obama is the REAL Change

"reporters just happened to be in the room"..........THIS IS A JOKE...

So this isn't sexist Palin..............This is the leader of a Country and that's all he saw was her looks?

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. JFK

I cant even comment on this one!

13. Brenda in Detroit

Please – this is nothing more than Foreign Policy 101.

14. Eric

Sexist? Just a bit. I wonder if the McCain campaign will protest this?

15. Boston

So much for Foreign Affairs discussion.......lol Sex sells.

16. Pat Murphy

McCain is grand standing & politicizing this very serious subject. If he cared about the public and was really serious he would quietly reached out to Obama before making any independent public announcement about campaign suspension. I resent it. It's just another insult to the intelligence of the voters as well as the refusal to let his cloistered vice presidential candidate freely speak to the press.

17. Sonia

In my opinion, the statement is disrespectful and sexist. Either would have made that statement to Bill Clinton or George Bush. Both are good looking me.

18. TC

The picture says it all. Look at her expression.

19. Lilly

That's nice. Great Foreign Policy, Palin, the reverse sexism.

20. Lyndon,CA

Zardari also knows a "HOT MILF" when he sees one!

21. sexism?

but when obama/biden say anything about her in any way its sexist? huh what double standard? two faced? huh

22. Jo

Dear CNN,

I am so troubled by Sarah Palin's visit to the UN to meet with world leaders that I am going to comment on it. Since when do presidential and vice presidential nominees conduct "field trips" to get a taste of world politics? It is humorous for Palin to think that her lack of experience cannot be mended with a field trip to the UN to meet with world leaders. In addition, I believe that the McCain/Palin campaign has truly turned into a drama circus. The visit to the UN with all the camera shots showing Palin sitting with leaders seems no more than pure show business, and I think it is outrageous for her to think American leadership is such.

Her lack of experience portrays the belief that anyone can run Washington and it is upsetting to think that our American leadership has come to that.

23. Jeffer65

Getting hit on by a foreign leader, now she's qualified to be VP. I hope Saturday Night Live runs with this.

24. bill for barack

How many years did he spend in prison for corruption ?
    And now he shows us he's a liar, too.
    Lipstick on a pig, baby.

September 24, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  25. Douglas, Los Angeles California

Wow, talk about no respect for a candidate. I don't think these world leaders take her seriously.

September 24, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |