September 25th, 2008

CNN Poll: It's the economy, more than ever

A new poll shows the economy is No. 1.
A new poll shows the economy is No. 1.

(CNN) – In what could be a bad sign for John McCain, more voters than ever before this election cycle feel the economy is the most important issue to their vote - a subject on which Barack Obama has consistently held an advantage.

According to a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll, nearly 6 in 10 registered voters now say the economy is more important than any other issue - a number that is almost a double digit jump from a similar poll taken in July. And it's nearly double the 35 percent of voters who thought the economy was the No. 1 issue in January.

Meanwhile, the issue John McCain is strongest on - Iraq - has steadily declined in importance among voters. In the latest poll only 10 percent of registered voters say it is most important, down from 25 percent who felt it was most important in July.

The poll was conducted September 19-21, entirely after the crisis on Wall Street unfolded. It surveyed 909 registered voters and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (1,184 Responses)
  1. Jesus Praising & Freedom Loving Patriot

McCain stuck his nose in, now everthing is partisan!

McCain is a DIVIDER not a Uniter

September 25, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  2. conny

You gotta be kidding me, please go home we know that it's all about you please go home

September 25, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  3. Obama stutters when he lies

I think the polls shifting and Obama losing his leads today showed the undecided in America who is capable of leading this country.

Hey Obama if we need you we'll call you, k?

McCain =Leader

September 25, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  4. Adam

Crap, and McCain so much wanted this election to be "not about issues"

September 25, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  5. NANNY MARIE

D E A R ,,,,,,,,M R ,,,,,,,,,,,M O O N E Y,,,,,,,,,,,I ,,,,,,,W A T C H,,,,,,,,,Z O G B Y,,,,

R A S S M U SS E N,,,,,,,,,,,,A N D,,,,,,,,,,,G A L L U P ,,,,,,,,,,D A I L I E S,,,,,,,,

A N D,,,,,,,,,A L L,,,,,,,S H O W I N G,,,,,,,R A C ,,,,,,,,,T I G H T E N I N G,,,,,,

G O I N G,,,,,,,T O ,,,,,,,,,M C C A I N,,,,,,,,S I N C E,,,,,,,,T HE ,,,,,C R I S I S,,,

F U R TH E R,,,,,,,T H E,,,,,,,,R E G I S T E RE D,,,,,,,,,V O T E R S,,,,,,

S U R V E Y E D,,,,,,,A L W A Y S,,,,,,A B O V E,,,,,,,,,1 K,,,,,,,W H Y,,,,

T H E,,,,,,,C N N,,,,,,,,D I S C R E P A N C Y ? ? ? ?

September 25, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  6. Hmmmm

Mccain's run for the presidency is pretty much over. John "I know nothing about the economy" Mccain will only plunge our country into further economic turmoil. All you rabid Mccain hucksters should run back to your farms now and weep into your pillows instead of plaguing these forums with your grammatically deficient and intellectually lacking comments.

September 25, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  7. Jesus Praising & Freedom Loving Patriot

Let's see if your credit cards and ATM cards still work by the end of next week.

September 25, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  8. Mordeny from Asean, BD

First & foremost, I am not American but I love the country. We, viewers from outside as far as from Asean countries can see and judge who's right and wrong, who's playing most of the political dirty game, who speak the truth and who is not, well at one point both lies, well they have too, but not to overdone it as it can be a disgrace campaign ever run. To us, it's a learning process about politics, culture and belief. There's a lot to be learnt out of this.

Honestly, based on my humble opinion, here, I am not besiding any parties because of out-of-admiration of either candidates but more towards what I've learnt since the primary election, Mr. Barack Obama would be a better choice for President of the United States.

September 25, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  9. Jesse from berlin

No wonder he doesn´t want to debate....
    He´s got nothing to say... The only thing he knew is Iraq, Georgia, Russia and Pow and nobody cares about that...

September 25, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  10. Henry

I'm sorry this guy is running for anything. He's clearly in over his head.

Obama/Biden 08

September 25, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  11. joe kiloz

T H E R E' S--------S O M E T H I N G----A B O U T---–

O B A M A--– T H A T--–D O E S -----N O T--–P U T--–

H I M--–O V E R----I ----T H I N K---V O T E R---–

P E R C E P T I O N----H E ' S--N O T--A ---L E A D E R

September 25, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  12. Independent just Decided

1:30pm We have a plan agreed upon
    5Pm John McCain enters a meeting
    5:30pm Republicans won't approve their OWN bail out plan

Thanks Johnny, you screwed us over again. Your political posturing during this crisis, making it all about you...you of all people, the man that doesn't know too much about economy and thinks the economy is strong..a moron like you is actually going to help anything?

Why is it no agreement as soon as Johnboy arrives? I would call that failing at being bipartisan, he even divides his OWN party. LOSER!!

Obama/Bidne '08

September 25, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  13. Bert, CA

Come on John! Yes you're a senator and you need to do your job as senator, but you've stepped up to the plate as a presidential contender! Give your people the support and comfort that you can and will act as "the" president for tomorrows debate!

September 25, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  14. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

. . . _ _ _ . . . (SOS)

McOldness's only hope is a national security crisis on the order of 9/11.
    Trying to say anything positive about his campaign would be like polishing a turd.

September 25, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  15. McCain Invented the BlackBerry, Palin Invented the Manure Spreader

This country needs John W. "I Invented the BlackBerry" McGimmick and his sidekick Caribou Barbie like it needs another Great Depression.

Seriously, this is the Bob Dole-Dan Quayle ticket, the worst of both worlds!

September 25, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  16. Tennisguypitt

Not surprising at all, this financial crisis got my attention, and FAST!!!

Obama/Biden '08

September 25, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  17. Get Real

Uh...Uh...My state borders Russia, therefore I undetstand the economy because we provide 20% of the US oil reserves... (oops, that's not right its really less than 3%...but that's not what was on my talking point.)

As a Female voter – NO MCCAIN/PALIN

September 25, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  18. Gorbashov - Long Beach, Ca.

This mans economic policies are a disaster for this great nation.

What ever he says just know he means the opposite.

Look up double speak in the dictionary and you will see a picture of Grampy McSame!

Pathetic!!

September 25, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  19. Texan for Progression

And now McCain wants to suspend his campaign to make strides in the economic arena (which is politics first, not country). I say go for it and send Failin...I meant Palin to the debate in your stead. Surely you InSain...I meant McCain supporters would be fine with that since your contention all along has been that Palin actually has more experience than Obama. Just think of the position you'd be in once she topples Obama in the debate? Now make sense of that....

September 25, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  20. Brian

Did I miss something or has BO's party not been in charge of Congress for the last two years. Congress has the job of oversight not the White House.

September 25, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  21. Obama is the REAL Change

To: Independent but Leaning, Darko. Mike, Syracuse NY, Mark, and others on title of September 25th, 2008 6:46 pm ET…..Obama: There needs to be a sense of urgency: So there's a sense of urgency, but not so much that he won't suspend his campaign or postpone the debate. What a self-centered loser…........LET’S WEIGHT THESE REMARKS…...................MCCAIN & CAMP SAID LAST WEEK THAT MCCAIN HAS THE SOLUTION AND CAN RESOLVE THE CRISIS ON WALL STREET, B-U-TTTTTT HE IS WILLING TO SHARE THAT INFORMATION IF HE IS ELECTED PRESIDENT………….WHO really is the SELF-CENTERED LOSER?????????????????

September 25, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  22. Leonard

Don't worry! McCain is coming to Washington and won't leave until we have even more deregulation!

Asked for comment about Rick Davis' being on the payroll of Fannie Mae, Sarah Palin said, "In what respect, Katie?"

September 25, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  23. Frank in Deerfield, IL.

Those who truly have our Nation's interest at heart do not keep announcing "Country First".
    They just go about and perform their service.

September 25, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  24. EDW

John McCain has skipped more votes during this session than any member of the Senate except for Tim Johnson, who had major brain surgery. He has cast a single vote in five months, since April 9. All of a sudden, McCain is demanding that the presidential race shut down so he can return to Washington?

September 25, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  25. America think for you

$700 billion to bail out wall street how about main street? America do you realize that that $700 billion that you will spend will be use to bail out Chinese banks and other foreign banks bad business and then they will sell these business back to us American. We should not let this to happen because the same mess will come back again in wall street. Wall Street greed, big CEO Payout need to have control over them. This $700 billion just show you that the republicans do not care. Congress please do not let George Bush rush you and us American into this mess. Bush has four months in power and he does not care of whatever mess that $700 billion will make.
    Is that package has a plan to bail out main street as well? The economy cannot run good without main street confidence. If main street do not have money that $700 billions is a waste.

September 25, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |