September 25th, 2008

CNN Poll: It's the economy, more than ever

A new poll shows the economy is No. 1.
A new poll shows the economy is No. 1.

(CNN) – In what could be a bad sign for John McCain, more voters than ever before this election cycle feel the economy is the most important issue to their vote - a subject on which Barack Obama has consistently held an advantage.

According to a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll, nearly 6 in 10 registered voters now say the economy is more important than any other issue - a number that is almost a double digit jump from a similar poll taken in July. And it's nearly double the 35 percent of voters who thought the economy was the No. 1 issue in January.

Meanwhile, the issue John McCain is strongest on - Iraq - has steadily declined in importance among voters. In the latest poll only 10 percent of registered voters say it is most important, down from 25 percent who felt it was most important in July.

The poll was conducted September 19-21, entirely after the crisis on Wall Street unfolded. It surveyed 909 registered voters and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
soundoff (1,184 Responses)
  1. eric

the only good thing about the use of my tax dollars now, is that (repubilcans) are finally doing some work. they should have been doing this eight years ago. i believe we all (americans) need a refund from all the tax dollars that were used to pay them. what a waste of funds for the last eight years.

OBAMA/BIDEN all the way!

September 25, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  2. john

I hope the majority of people in this country have the common sense to vote for Obama.

I heard republicans mention that US is one of the wealthiest countries in the world. Here is news for you – All the countries in Africa put together will not have a debt of 9 trillion that the US has. What wealth are you talking about. The country is a sinking ship. Wake up and do something about it instead of blaming each other.

September 25, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  3. witch

I do not want someone who leaps into something before he thinks. I want someone who is level headed. I think that people need to open their eyes and really take a look, but I know that is not going to happen. Oh I just want to say that a lot of people say that we think Obama is the new Messiah well I say that the repubs think Sarah is the next J.C. There are non so blind who will not see...............................................

September 25, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  4. America the Stupid

Go to sleep little Sheep......McOld is counting on you to remain stupid on everything.

September 25, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  5. Helen, MA

So comeone John...roll the dice....like you did with your selection of Sarah Palin..............give us a thrill..... let's see if you'll win. Oppose your party, posture for the folks dumb enough to believe you.

You haven't paid any attention to the economy for at least 15 months. and now you want to be a leader???? Puhleeze, let your Republican brethren
    have their due. They are much more informed than you are......... Your' s in the WH for a photo op. .....Not your knowledge, remember Palin is supposed to be your national economic shield....along with Phil Gramm and (god forbid) Carla Fiorina................what a joke.

Be a man, and go debate Obama.............or try to.

September 25, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  6. EVELYN ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN

1. A poll is a statistically controlled environment which uses metrics to decide the methodology.

2. A straw poll means anyone with access to a computer can keep voting as many times as they wish. Sort of like you, a ditto head that is so stupid the only way they can make a living is to participate in straw polls and make moronic statements on blogs and get paid for posting the talking points.

See the difference? If any of the words were too big for you to understand, ask your buddy to show you Google.

September 25, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  7. Liz in NW ohio

We don't need a poll to tell us that the economy and this proposed bailout is foremost on our minds. My mother lived through the great depression and often they were hungry. We don't really know hunger in this country and I pray we never will. In the mean time McCain is playing games with the American people. I don't care what the polls say everyone I talk to is voting Obama. I only hope that the Ohio Elections Board runs a clean election this year.

September 25, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  8. Deb, Allentown,PA

Cmon CNN...

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Deb, Allentown,PA
    September 25th, 2008 8:51 pm ET

McCain pulled a transparent obvious ploy to take the focus off the fact that his campaign manager was still being paid to lobby on behalf of Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac. And then he went to Washington and basically screwed up the agreement that the Banking Committee had reached, just so he could “save it” and look like a hero. We’re not buying it McCain. You’re a sleazy, dishonorable shell of a man, and your running mate is proving that she is NOT ready to step in on Day #1. We can not allow these two anywhere near the White House.

September 25, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  9. Rick

Why did the empty-suit Obama have to be prodded to go back to DC to DO HIS JOB! If the worst financial crisis in seventy years isn't enough to motivate Obama to put his country first and his campaign second, what would? Obama has zero experience in ANYTHING. He's never met a payroll, has never lead anyone in private industry, in government or in the military. And for all his talk about change he has never brought any reform to any governmental institution. Palin has done all of these things and yet the Dems and their bootlicks in the press continue with their phony concern over her inexperience while ignoring Obama's far greater inxperience in every aspect of leadership. And he's on the top of the Dem ticket.

September 25, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  10. Tom H

Are the pressures of the campaign getting to McCain ? He appears to be aging before our eyes.

September 25, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  11. Barney

I agree with the early voter above – I'm voting for Obama as soon as NC opens it's early-vote doors.

September 25, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  12. LaVelle from Atlanta,GA

Do not be afraid of CHANGE. John Mccain is getting desperate and now is afraid to debate Barack. Some media outlets including CNN anchors such as Dana Bash who supports Mccain in my eyes, says that Mccain is not afraid to debate because republicans have ask Barack for a town hall meeting. Are you kidding me? Town hall meetings are nothing like the debate format and Barack will not fall for that trap. Tomorrow night will be a REAL debate, with NO strings attached and if Mccain SHOWS UP people will see the major difference between the two. Same ole politics vs Change.

September 25, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  13. Independent, white female !

It is the economy stupid! Mccain must be losing it already to play this political game and try to get the attention he has been losing since Palin's introduction. Obama has been moving up in the polls and Mccain has to come out with some bull about putting country first. What a crock!!! Obama has been presidential, intelligent, articulate, commander in chief like, with great judgement and no bull. That's the way an independent like me likes things done! Mccain knew he could not get the problem in Washngton fixed and he just wanted to buy himself and sarah some time before the debates. Good try!
    Obama!Obama!Obama!

September 25, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  14. bc

Don't forget, McCain is 72 years old. He would be 80 years old finishing a second term. That's just insane. So, voting for McCain, you have to figure that you're also voting for (most likely) President Palin...

Eight years is enough. John McCain admits freely he knows nothing about the economy. If this continues to be the main issue (which I think it will, and has been ever since gas prices went astronomical) then I think McCain has no chance.

Barack the Vote!!

September 25, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  15. Tre

You know, I am so tired of people screaming socialism all day about Obama. First, show me the failed socialist republics. Then, after that, explain why people aren't talking more accurately about our new COMMUNISM. I watched as the government took control of both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and nationalized them in one day.

Amazing. I bet Barack Obama did that too.

September 25, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  16. raycar

What did Obama do wake up one morning and say "I have been in Washington 3 years (not even a full term in office) and think I will make a great looking President". Move over I am ready to lead. HE HAS NO EXPERIENCE. – raycar – San Jose, CA

September 25, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  17. Vote for Change

You can run (McCain),
    but you cannot hide (Palin)

McCain / Palin
    Unstable / Unable *

*sources: George Will / Laura Bush

September 25, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  18. Barney

On Larry King live,I just heard no regulation and no taxes on this mess – WHAT?

September 25, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  19. Nevada Democrat

McCain is a terrible gambler who has been making some shaky decisions lately-Is this what he means by shaking up Washington?

September 25, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  20. Tre

Tre September 25th, 2008 9:30 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

You know, I am so tired of people screaming socialism all day about Obama. First, show me the failed european socialist republics. Then, after that, explain why people aren't talking more accurately about our new COMMUNISM. I watched as the government took control of both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and nationalized them in one day.

Amazing. I bet Barack Obama did that too.

September 25, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  21. Chris L.

I was a Republican for 33 years. America's Worst President (What do you think "W" stands for?) made me a Democrat. McCain was just on the national news. He came late to a meeting with Bush, Pelosi, Reid, Obama and a lot of others. He had coffee, chatted and smiled and offered NOTHING SUBSTANTIAL. My, he sure is working hard on the economy!

I think Barack Obama is absolutely right. Don't postpone the debate. Change it from Foreign Affairs and debate on the Economy, the do Foreign Affairs at the next debate. This country is facing a Major Recession at best, and a Depression at worst. Our economy effects the economy of every nation in the world. McBush must face that fact and debate!

September 25, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  22. FL4OB

McCain has LIED to the American people again. He has hardly " suspended" his campaign. There were TV interviews with Couric, surrogates abound, ads still running, and media notifications in PA.

If Americans cannot trust McCain's continual lies, how do we trust him with running the country, much less his lack economic knowledge?

Thanks, but no thanks...

September 25, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  23. Isaiah

Is there really any doubt the this Mcain/Palin ticket is just plain scary. The more she talks, the more frightened I get at the possibility of her weilding any power in America's future. The fact is McCain is just too old. He's 72, at the end of a four year term 76. I love my grandfather, but I cringe at the thought of him leading the nation. Obama is young, intelligent, has a worldly view, and offers real change. The more Palin speaks, the more she sounds like Bush. Scary! I just don't think I could take four more year of this.

September 25, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  24. Matt

Ask yourself: What do the polls that are scaring McCain mean? They show that every game The Republicans played so far in this silly campaign of theirs has NOT worked yet. This game will backfire as well because we're just plain old sick of it, just sit tight. Obama clearly outshone McCain in that meeting as McCain said nothing. His magic deal broker act won't stand up to the facts.

The Republicans are out of touch and the evidence is that they haven't changed their stratgery since 2004 after 4 years of us learning to know better.

September 25, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  25. Gerry

Straight Talk Express: Down, Down, Down We Go...

Yea!