September 25th, 2008

CNN poll of polls: Obama up 4 points

Sen. Obama is ahead by four points in Thursday's CNN poll of polls.
Sen. Obama is ahead by four points in Thursday's CNN poll of polls.

(CNN) – As the fate of the first head-to-head debate between Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain remains uncertain, CNN’s latest poll of polls shows the Democratic nominee with a 4 point advantage over his Republican rival. Obama has the support of 47 percent of voters to McCain's 43 percent, with and 10 percent unsure about their choice for president. In CNN’s previous poll of polls, released Wednesday night, Obama was ahead by 5 points – 49 percent versus 44 percent.

“Since the start of the financial crisis, Sen. Obama has held a small but clear edge in the horserace,” said CNN Senior Political Researcher Alan Silverleib. “Sen. McCain’s decision to suspend his campaign in the midst of this crisis can be seen as an attempt to regain the upper hand on the economy — an issue which so far continues to work to Obama’s advantage. The overwhelming majority of Americans are more concerned with the state of the economy than with any other issue.”

Thursday’s national general election poll of polls is comprised of the following four surveys: Marist (September 22-23), Fox News/Opinion Dynamics (September 22-23), Gallup (September 22-24), and Diageo/Hotline (September 22-24). CNN’s poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

1. Aaron

Keep it up, Obama!

September 25, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  2. PoliticoPundit

Gallup Poll saying it's TIED... Come on.. Take the Average right

September 25, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  3. larry in Chillicothe OH

And it's only going to get bigger! But those of us that do volunteer work need to stay focusd and work like the polls are tied.

Teamsters for Obama

September 25, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  4. Matt, MN

Has CNN explained how their poll-of-polls has no margin of error, when all of the polls they get their data from, do?

September 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. Tony

Obama should be up by more than 20 points in every state in the country.

If people have not figured out by now that McCain is not the right choice, or that Palin is a total idiot, then there is no point in trying to convince them otherwise for they are hopeless.

September 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  6. Rick K

I have ceased to see these polls as a grade for Obama, who has acquitted himself at virtually every turn.

I know see them as a grade on the state of America, and we are not doing so good in my opinion.

September 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  7. tigerakabj

Polls or no polls, lets put Old Man River away. I feel like I am in a football game: one team that is getting clobbered calls a time out to stall the other team's momentum b/c somebody tripped over a coke can.

This is ridiculous. McCain is a coward–period. He is even trying to cancel the VP debate.

Obama/Biden 2008/2012.

September 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  8. David, Silver Spring, MD

I don't know if it's folks who yearn for a guy on a white horse, or folks who just yearn for a white guy. Maybe it's that by making himself available to the press, Obama has seemed more presidential and thus, somehow responsible for this mess.

Really, right thinking Americans know that we need a serious, thoughtful, deliberate guy rather than another cowboy wannabe who confuses rashness with intuition and whims with moral certitude.

September 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  9. Eric-29-m-PA

Just watch Obama's numbers drop after the debates. lol. lol. I"m looking forward to that. Bye Bye Obama.

September 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  10. David

I'm glad to see Obama with the lead. He should be the natural choice in this election. Not that it matters but most people outside of the US would vote for Obama if they could just as they would not have voted for Bush the past two elections. Obama has shown that he is top of the issues and is showing good judgment and a clear agenda throughout the past 18 months. He is the originator of "change" and the initiator of a need to clean up wall street and Washington.

Obama is more than charismatic and a good speaker. He is a leader that offers hope and a clear vision for a nation in dire need of a leader who can help garner hope and peace in the rest of the world.

Remember to vote for the right leader for the right reasons. Do not vote based on skin colour or a thin hope that Hillary will run and win in 2012.

Obama equals hope, a powerful economy, a restored country that the world will once again look up to!

September 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  11. Greg Pottstown, Pa.

Most of the people posting hear are standard American idiots. Proof is that most articles in the ticker get 200-400 posts. A article about Letterman gets 768. Obama could go and reverse his position on everything and McCain could do the same and the top story will still be LL is gay.

September 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  12. R.I.F.

Has anyone watched any of the clips from part 2 of Palin's CBS interview that will air tonight? It was the scariest footage I have ever seen. I'm not being overly dramatic either. Please watch the clips and decide for yourself.

After this performance I swear she wouldn't even be allowed to be a low-level cable news surrogate for the McCain camp.

September 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  13. gl

Palin for President – Sorry it ain't going to happen. Maybe you whites people will continue to support a liar, but not the blacks or espanish.

September 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  14. Lucy

McChicken and his lady BushMeat Killer with lipstick are toast. Why don't they just gracefully bow out instead of working an angle to not have to debate Obama and Biden? What are you running from McLosers???
    4 points ahead, the day before the first debate? I can hardly wait for Saturday am. We are on the home stretch now!!
    Obama/Biden '08

September 25, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  15. Avenue A

Even after all of McCain's lies, his political stunts, and his biggest gimmick of all time: Sarah Palin, people are still willing to vote for this creep. What is this world coming to?

September 25, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  16. President McCain

Very interesting. :-)

September 25, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  17. PG

McCain will win this election? You mean to tell me that Americans are that dumb? I think he will lose and this will prove that SOME Americans still have brains.

September 25, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  18. Phoenix

If McCain wins this election, honey, the American people do not deserve to be a superpower.

September 25, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  19. sound board

I suppose this could be an indication that McCain's political manovering is too little to late. Better luck next time!

September 25, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  20. Cam

If Americans were smart, Obama would have a 30 point lead right now.

I mean, postponing a debate (Presidential) so that they can postpone another debate (VP)?

On a completely unrelated subject, I would love someone to ask Bay Buchanan (Repub strategist) how long she has known Palin and what her relationship was with her before her selection as VP. I mean, I have never seen a talking head so out of touch with reality and so obviously horny about another female.

Oh, and for all the McCain supporters saying it is a witch hunt towards palin, that's impossible because she has received religious immunity from all witchcraft!

September 25, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  21. Shandra from Michigan

What is going on? I thought these Congress people we elect are supposed to speak on behalf of the people?

Yet I am watching Congress men and women going on the cameras spouting their biased opinions for or against Barack or McCain.

Shouldn't they be speaking about what the American people are expressing instead of co-signing their support for their Presidental candidate?

I am a Democrat but am very ashamed at some of these Democratic comments that are so juvenile. It really hurts our party's integrity.

No wonder we are in such trouble. Look at who we are electing!!!!!!

September 25, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  22. concern

After living though the eight years of GWB and all his lies.
    After 9 months of the Mccain/Palin campaign junk!!

It's no wonder that this country is a mess!!!
    God help the USA!!!

September 25, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  23. Ken

Cry me a river over these polls you moronic [R]s. It looks like the country is starting to wake up from the [R]ightwing-induced coma it has been in for the last 8 years. Let's get it straight now: 'dumb' is not 'smart', 'bad' is not 'good', 43% is not winning, and most of you 43% dumb-downed neo-tards are not 'conservative'.

September 25, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  24. Student in NY

CNN is boycotting me. So you probably won't get to read this.

I am tired of hearing about polls. They are all the same, which is inaccurate. I would much rather hear about an investigation into the wool Mccain is trying to pull over the eyes of the American people with this latest political stunt. It makes me sick. Also, why isn't anyone covering the absolutely scary and abysmal performance of Palin during her Couric interview.

I'm tired of CNN and it's non-stories. Hey look, Joe Biden just picked his nose!

BO/Joe

September 25, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  25. MD, TX

The scariest thing about this whole financial crises is that Barney Frank, Chris Dodd and Chuckie Schumer are the ones that will steer legislation to "resolve it".

As they were primarily responsible for the failure of Fannie and Freddie, which caused this crises, I guess they know more about it than anyone else.

However, their past incompetance makes me uneasy that they have the competance to fix it now.

September 25, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |