September 25th, 2008

CNN poll of polls: Obama up 4 points

Sen. Obama is ahead by four points in Thursday's CNN poll of polls.
Sen. Obama is ahead by four points in Thursday's CNN poll of polls.

(CNN) – As the fate of the first head-to-head debate between Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain remains uncertain, CNN’s latest poll of polls shows the Democratic nominee with a 4 point advantage over his Republican rival. Obama has the support of 47 percent of voters to McCain's 43 percent, with and 10 percent unsure about their choice for president. In CNN’s previous poll of polls, released Wednesday night, Obama was ahead by 5 points – 49 percent versus 44 percent.

“Since the start of the financial crisis, Sen. Obama has held a small but clear edge in the horserace,” said CNN Senior Political Researcher Alan Silverleib. “Sen. McCain’s decision to suspend his campaign in the midst of this crisis can be seen as an attempt to regain the upper hand on the economy — an issue which so far continues to work to Obama’s advantage. The overwhelming majority of Americans are more concerned with the state of the economy than with any other issue.”

Thursday’s national general election poll of polls is comprised of the following four surveys: Marist (September 22-23), Fox News/Opinion Dynamics (September 22-23), Gallup (September 22-24), and Diageo/Hotline (September 22-24). CNN’s poll of polls does not have a sampling error.

1. Tony

Hey, YEAH RIGHT!

Yeah, right. Mcain and Palin two stooges. Nothing more, nothing less. You would know that if you would pull your ignorant republican't head out of your ignorant republican't *** and stop drinking the Kool-Aid!

A vast majorityy of Americans are ignorant, apathetic, unaware and irresponsible, but not enough to put McCain and McBarbie over the top in November.

September 25, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  2. Quinn - Houston, Texas

It's a shame that no matter what gimmick McCain comes up with, his supporters are right there to defend him.

If McCain was caught red-handed robbing a liquor store, his supporters would say that he was "putting his country first" and bash the liberal media for reporting it.

John McCain is lying....PERIOD!

September 25, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  3. Clayton in AL

If McCain doesn’t want to debate Obama, then we should bring in Barr and Nader and the Green Party lady to Mississippi and have a real conversation with the American people. I know SOMEONE must want this free tv time!!

If that can’t work out, just bring in Bush, McCain agrees with him 90% of the time anyway.

September 25, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  4. Skunk Meat Anyone?

McGimmick heard footsteps and dropped the ball so he'll be a no show at the debates.

September 25, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  5. Biff

TONY !!!!

"THANK YOU".....

READING THE TRASCRIPT OF WHAT SHE SAID IS AS PAINFUL AS IF YOU 'HEARD' THE ANSWERS.... !

AWESOME POST !

SHE IS NOT QUALIFIED.
    (she's in over her head, people)

September 25, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  6. Bronx Native

OBAMA OR DIE !

September 25, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  7. Get Real

Jorge you wrote:
    Senator John McCain.

"While he has long had a reputation for being short-tempered and grouchy, in the past few weeks he appears to have had a personality change. His behaviour has become increasingly impulsive, erratic, and irrational, and there is evidence that his memory is becoming increasingly faulty. Now, in recent days, he has developed changes on the left side of his face that indicate some sort of neurological abnormality, such as Bell's Palsy, cerebrovascular disease, or intracranial malignancy, most likely melanoma, given his history."

--------------------------------
    I agree, I truly believe that Sarah Palin under the guidance of teh Sr. McCain Campaign advisors are either drugging McCain or Lying aout his condition so if he is elected they can put her in Office. I do not trust her because of all that she has done to former 'mentors'; I would not be surprised if the real reason for cancelling the debate is health related.

Sarah Palin is the Puppet Masters Candidate... not the American People

September 25, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  8. Obama4Never

Too bad Hillary was hated out of the nomination by the Obamabots who helped Obama cheat, steal and insult his way to the democratic nomination.

Hillary was the policy wonk who warned us all and PROPOSED REAL SOLUTIONS long ago to help avert this crisis. SHE is the best and true leader.

Going forward- the Clintons are the only democrats to ever again receive the vote of this life long democrat.

The new democrats are too angry and too hateful and too vitriolic for me. I do not believe in trashing and vilifying and demonizing the opponent.

Attack their policies- NOT them.

Obama lost me at the Hillary bash fest.

September 25, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  9. Goddess

Eaze-I find it scary that you think just because McCain was POW he is therefore quailified to run the country. Some of the things he has said in the past few weeks is really out there, ie the econmony is strong.....blah blah blah.

September 25, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  10. DODA

HOW ABOUT POSTING THE POLL QUESTIONS ON YOUR WEBSITE?
    GIVE US ALL A CHANCE TO ANSWER INSTEAD OF THE THREE HANDPICKED PEOPLE YOU CALL ALL THE TIME.

September 25, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  11. Tony

I would bet my next paycheck that when next Thursday arrives, Palin will have some emergency that keeps her from showing up to be annihilated by Biden.

I'll bet she is thanking God now that she has mentally challenged child. Ready to be V.P. and or President.........my ***!

September 25, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  12. FayeCT

Body count. In the last six months 292 killed (murdered) in Chicago, 221 killed in Iraq.

Sens. Barack Obama & Dick Durbin, Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., Gov. Rod Blogojevich, House leader Mike Madigan, Atty. Gen. Lisa Madigan, Mayor Richard Daley…..our leadership in Illino is…..all Democrats. Thank you for the combat zone in Chicago. Of course they’re all blaming each other. Can’t blame Republicans, they’re aren’t any!

State pension fund $44 Billion in debt, worst in country. Cook County (Chicago) sales tax 10.25% highest in country. (Look’em up if you want). Chicago school system one of the worst in country. This is the political culture that Obama comes from in Illinois. He’s gonna ‘fix’ Washington politics?

September 25, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  13. VIRGINIAN 4 OBAMA

Since McSame loves to talk about the surge so much, how does he like Sen. Obama's surge in the polls?

OBAMA/BIDEN 08

September 25, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  14. average joe

Obama, is not giving me that confident feeling, he is all about himself a real self promoter, thats been the problem with him all along. I would like to vote for him but just so a african american can be President is not going to convince me in these times. anyhow, if he gets in there is no way he is going to correct the problems without $$$$ and we are tapped out. Robin hood will not work sorry.

September 25, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  15. karen-phoenix

PS: I wish you people would look up what "present" means in the Illinois senate!!! He even voted present on some of his own bills because people messed with them. Present means that they want further investigation into a bill. It does not oppose or support but wants more work done it. I lived in Illinois most of my life and I truely like the ruling. People do not RUSH into a bad bill and most of the "present" Obama voted on were cleaned up and revoted on!!!
    Obama has a degree with honors from Columbia in Foreign Affairs and Finnance and a Masters with honors from Harvard in Constitutional Law!!! We need someone with this type of education going into this global century!!! McCain is sooooo out dated–even with his political stunts!!! The 70's are dead–lets move on!!!

September 25, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  16. ts

I will like to say this about the comment that was made about McCain is still going to win the election. First of all i would like to say that if he win, its not because he got the vote its cause they are going to cheat the polls. We all know who they want in the White House and it ain't no black men. I am voting for Obama anyways.

September 25, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  17. Florida Voter

Hey Palin for president ,check this out I just took 4 people to register to vote total 115 and by the way they are Dems that right Obama08 so you need to wake up or go home!

September 25, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  18. Skunk Meat Anyone?

Is it true Ms. Plain asked for a excuse slip from McGimmick to miss next week's debate?

She mentioned that becuase she met with all these world leaders she would need time to send them a thank you card which conflicts with her debate schedule.

September 25, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  19. Hitler Youth for Obama

I will gladly vote democratic once again- JUST BRING BACK HILLARY CLINTON.

Obama is not a candidate I can trust- I see the hatred he inspires in his followers. I see how dirty and slick his politics are. I see that he lacks qualifications.

I lived through the democratic primary where the ugly angry left tore into fellow democrats JUST to get Obama installed as nominee.

Now they believe we are forced to vote for him since it is HIS name next to the desired BIG "D" on the ballot.

Think again- hatred and insults and derision will never coerce my vote.

September 25, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  20. Jeff

I guess better Obama than McCain but really, Obama makes me want to puke. I am a lifelong Democrat who will be sitting out this election cycle as I can't vote for a Repugnican and I won't support Obama just because my party was misguided enough to nominate him as our candidate for president. Obama is nothing but an ego driven empty suit running on nothing but hubris and fairy tales. I think Obama is the G.W. Bush of the Democratic Party. I hope he proves me wrong but I'm not holding my breath!!

September 25, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  21. ruth, sc

Yes – that's right. Vote "present", never take a stand for what you think is right, always wait to see what the other guy does first,etc, etc. Now THAT's true leadership. NOT

September 25, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  22. WI Cheesehead

"Evel" Knievel comes to life in McCain.

Here are some viable answers to your $700 billion question.
    1. The so called bailout is exactly that a really expensive band-aid to get us through elections.
    2. Your burden on this expensive band-aid is about $2,300 for just being an American. NOTE I didn’t say “working American”.
    3. This is the “trickle down pain” than “trickle down economics” they always talk about.
    4. The $2,300 trickle down pain from Wall Street to you means no matter whom the next president is taxes and inflation will go up. Case in point my 6 months old son has his share of $2,300 pain from Wall Street but the economy will not wait for him to start paying taxes.
    5. The Republicans will blame the Democrats for the high inflation and higher taxes.

September 25, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  23. Biff

Obama4Never

YOU ARE A REPUBLICAN OPERATIVE...

YOU ARE NOT FOOLING "ANYONE".

September 25, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  24. Obama is the REAL Change

McCain spokeswoman Nicole Wallace said, "We deeply regret offending Mr. Letterman, but our candidate's priority at this moment is to focus on this crisis," …………WOW..........BUT HAD TIME TO STAY IN NEW YORK AND G-I-V-E A speech at the Clinton Global Initiative, BUT no TIME to DEBATE, HE REALLY THINK WE ARE FOOLS........ FOCUS on this CRISIS?????????????????

September 25, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  25. Dave G, Minneapolis

People comment that they've never been called for a poll. Look at how many they typically call: 1,000 individuals more or less. In a nation of over 300 Million!! Lending importance to these polls is not helpful. They are irrelevant to anyone other than the campaigns...and maybe not even them.

So, you have a 0.0003 % chance of getting called for a poll.
    This is roughly equal to your odds of dying exactly between the ages of 40-41. So if you know someone that has specifically died between these ages, then that's about the frequency of a poll call.

September 25, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |