September 25th, 2008

Has McCain read the bailout bill?

CNN's Dana Bash was on Capitol Hill with Sen. McCain Thursday.
CNN's Dana Bash was on Capitol Hill with Sen. McCain Thursday.

(CNN) – As John McCain returned to Capitol Hill Thursday to support the passage of a package to address the nation’s financial crisis, Democrats spent the morning gleefully directing reporters to a statement from the Republican nominee Tuesday – three days after the bailout bill was introduced – that he had not read the text of the administration’s proposal.

"I have not had a chance to see it in writing. I have to examine it,” he told a Cleveland television station.

Watch: McCain's bailout proposal

The McCain campaign said Thursday the Arizona senator had immediately been briefed on the elements of the plan – but could not say whether or not he had since read the three-page proposal, pointing instead to his meetings with congressional leaders and briefings with top officials. They also said the question was less relevant because final text was likely to be different than the original proposal.

Watch: What are the candidates saying about the bailout plan?

Filed under: John McCain
  1. AVERAGE JOE

WOAW common mccain

September 25, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  2. Rhiannon

It's quite obvious these days that McCain hasn't read much of anything, along with his co-pres hopeless Palin.

September 25, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  3. Ann

CAN HE READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 25, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  4. Phoenix

What the Hell...He didn't read the legislation?

September 25, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  5. Matt

DO NOT PUBLISH HIS CAMPAIGN'S LYING ATTEMPTS TO TAKE CREDIT. THERE IS ALREADY AN AGREED-UPON PROPOSAL GOING TO THE TREASURY DEPT.

September 25, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  6. ct voter

The guy is an idiot, his brain is old and tired, my god if we have another idiot running our country, please pick someone who atleast graduated from harvard, one of the top students, instead of this baffoon....oh my god I just can't believe he has almost half the population voting for him, he's an IDIOT!!!

September 25, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  7. Accountant Guy

This is hilarious. It was so important that he had to try and cancel the debate, but yet he never read it, LOL!! Give me a break, no one except Republicans fell for your crap McBush. They reached a deal without you, so go to the debate so we can get this over with!!

Obama/Biden '08

September 25, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  8. McBlackberrys will help the economy

Hahahahaa....too funny-The Economies savior! The Hero! The POW!

Full of Moose pies....man.

Obama 08

September 25, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  9. Ricky - Latino for Obama

Wow...glad to see McCain has his priorities straight. If he's not reading the plan and not campaigning then what is he doing? Oh yea he's cooking ribs w/ Rachel Ray and dissing David Letterman.

McCain is not ready to lead...

Obama/Biden '08!

September 25, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  10. jim

CNN will stop talking about McCain. That was the intention of this whole fiasco.

September 25, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  11. Alice

he may not read it – but he'll be sure to claim credit for it

September 25, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  12. not surprised

Has Obama read the bill?

September 25, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  13. WASP Member!!!

He is too busy posing for photo ops. It is too funny that the deal is bascially done without him. He went just as a political ploy. He did not suspend his campaign as he said and he lied to David Letterman. He is a liar and a cheater!!!

September 25, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  14. Barney

Hmmmm – I just heard this is bigger than the S&L thing (Keating 5) that McCain's fingerprints were all over.

FBI investigating, and head-rolling and jail time are expected from the top down .

Sounds good to me. A little late, but better late than never.

Obama/Biden '08 Let the chips fall where they may.

September 25, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  15. Paula, Los Angeles CA

Is this a joke?!? It must be! And John McCain is it..... an absolute joke! Any American that falls for this clown and his political ploy circus are absolute imbeciles!

OBAMA/BIDEN '08

September 25, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  16. NANNY MARIE

B A I L O U T,,,,,,,,I S,,,,,,,,,A ,,,,,,,,,,,S H A M,,,,,,,,,,, SH O W ,,,,,,,,,,,U S,,,,,,,,,

I N,,,,,,,,,,,W R I T I N G,,,,,,,,,,D E B A T E,,,,,,,,I T,,,,,,,,I N,,,,,,,,P U B L I C

September 25, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  17. New Day

HAHAHAHHA Poor Johnny!!!!! He gets to DC just in time to prove how irelevant he is since congress came to an agreement without him.

September 25, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  18. jade

what exactly, then, did he run away to washington to do?

September 25, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  19. Brian

I don't know how many bone-headed mistakes and errors in judgement this man has to make before the American public wakes up to the fact that he might not even be qualified to be a Wal-Mart "Greeter," let alone President of the United States.

September 25, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  20. ANGIE

Will he even understand it? It does have to do with ECONOMICS! As i recall Mcain doesnt understand that well oh but not to worry libermans there to whisper sweet nothings in his ear !

September 25, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  21. Real Change is Obama

Oh...I'm so glad he's back in Washington – Waht would the nation do without McBush?(add sarcasm here)

It's over John – You will lose and lose big to the most qualified candidate for the People – Barack Obama

Nice try though!

WE ARE TAKING BACK OUR COUNTRY!!!

September 25, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  22. Truth

He didnt read a 3-page bill and yet opposed it. Based on what? Rick Davis' briefing?
    If thats how you want to run this country, US is in deep deep trouble.

September 25, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  23. Greg, NY

Read? Who does that anymore?

September 25, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  24. Matt MC

Three pages is a lot, that's like a whole children's book if you put all the words together...

September 25, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  25. JOE KILOZ

W H I L E,,,,,,,O B A M A,,,,,,,,R E A D I N G,,,,,,M E M O R I Z I N G,,,,,,,,,,

A N S W E R S,,,,,,,,,,,F O R,,,,,,,,,H I S,,,,,,,,S EL F ,,,,,,,DE B AT E