September 25th, 2008

Michelle Obama to host U.S. soldier's wife at debate

The wife of a U.S. soldier serving in Iraq will join Michelle Obama at Friday night's debate.

(CNN) – Sen. John McCain has not yet confirmed whether he will participate in Friday night's presidential debate, but Barack Obama's campaign is moving forward with its plans for the event.

The campaign announced Thursday evening that Michelle Obama will be joined at the debate by Shannon Kendall, whose husband is currently serving his second tour in Iraq, according to a press release issued by the campaign Thursday evening. Kendall, a mother, met Michelle Obama during a recent roundtable with military families in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Friday's debate will focus on foreign policy, a topic agreed to by both presidential campaigns before the nation's financial system and broader economic issues took center stage two weeks ago.

1. Karen Kelroy

To address the american people on the complexity of issues facing this country should be a priority of both candidates. McCain appears unprepared to face the fact many citizens wants to hear from him NOW! Enough of the negative ads and on with the debates! I'm Karen Kelroy and I approve this message!!

September 25, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  2. R. Cooper

Still hiding out in DC McCain. Send Sarah to Mississippi!

September 25, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  3. ND Mom

Michelle Obama is a breath of fresh air in the mist of all this craziness started by McCain.

September 25, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  4. maynard hopkins wi

MCCAIN IS THE TRUE LEADER HE PUT COUNTRY BEFORE POLITICS. PEOPLE DON'T YOU REALIZE HOW SERIOUS A PROBLEM THIS IS WE ARE FACING.

ITS NOT MCCAIN,BUSHS,OR CLINTONS FAULT....LOOK AND SEE WHO PUTS THE AGENDA TOGETHER FOR THE CONGRESS
    [ THE PRESIDENT OF CONGRESS ] THEN LOOK AND SEE WHO IS THE SPEAKER OF THE SENATE... THESE ARE BOTH DEMOCRATS.
    WHAT THEY WANT TO DISCUSS WILL BE SENT TO THE FLOOR WHAT THEY DONT WANT DISCUSSED GETS TABLED.

TERM LIMITS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GET THESE KIND OF PEOPLE OUT OF POLITICS

IN LIGHT OF WHAT HAPPEN TODAY IN WASHINGTON. IT SHOWS YOU WHO IS A LEADER. THAT IS JOHN MCCAIN, HE PUT COUNTRY FIRST.

September 25, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  5. Preston

Hey Superficial Guy -

Your handle certainly seems apt.

Let us dissect what you mean when you say that "Michelle Obama ... just seems so....unappealing."

Until and unless you say otherwise, my take is that you mean she just seems so....black.

I challenge you to tell me I'm wrong, and to explain, in plain English, precisely what it is that you do mean, so we can ALL understand your thinking on this important issue, and evaluate your intelligence.

You do want us to understand exactly what you mean, right? I mean, nobody can be THAT superficial.

September 25, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  6. Silvia in Boca Raton FL

Presidential debates should go on as planned; McCain is just trying to get attention to him after last week debacle "the fundamentals of the economic are strong" and Rick Davis mini-scandal. He is just a political opportunist, polls are down for him, his VP has no clue and is not ready to debate anyone (including myself) and he is trying to cancel, postpone anything if it helps his campaign. McCain is a joke.

I say, if McCain does not show, and even if he shows up, let's bring on Nader, Barr and Mckinney and let's have a pluralistic debate. The same about the VP debate, let's bring their VP's as well if Sarah Palin does not show up. Enough of this _____ (fill in the blank). This is the only way to show that we do not agree with their Karl Rove tactics.

September 25, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  7. Alice

Let's just hope the networks broadcast whatever the Debate Commission ends up hosting.

I'll certainly be watching.

September 25, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  8. Clinton, EE

good

September 25, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  9. FL4OB

God bless you, Michelle Obama. Would be honored to have you as our next First Lady.

September 25, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  10. Sue

Excuse me, but if Obama is elected, I can see him sitting in his 1.9 million dollar house in Chicago saying "If you need me, give me a call." And isn't Obama still a Senator from the State of Illinois? I believe that when he was elected he promised to represent that state.
    Was he granted a leave of absence with pay to campaign for the presidency?

September 25, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  11. Mt. Pleasant mom

Emily: If being "gorgeous" means ready, we're in big trouble.

September 25, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  12. To Superficial Guy

I guess you thought First Lady Barbara Bush was a "hottie".

September 25, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  13. NO MCCAIN NO PALIN

CNN WHERE ARE MY COMMENTS? WHY DO YOU GUYS KEEP ERASING THEM?

September 25, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  14. Pam

Why can't Palin go to the debate in McCain's place? Isn't that the job of the Vice President?

September 25, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  15. lyn

Michelle will be a great first lady, and I thank Michelle for having a soldier"s wife at the debate.

September 25, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  16. Agness

Great woman by a Great mans side... good future for the Great country,

OBAMA, OBAMA, OBAMA

September 25, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  17. Johnson in St. Louis

with what is going on in the country at the present time, the conflict in Iraq has been pushed to the back pages of the media. Let's not forget our men and women that are still over there putting their lives in danger daily. I think it's only fitting that Mrs. Obama host the wife of one of our soldiers. I can't see why that would be a negative at all no matter who you support in this election.

September 25, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  18. American Citizen

Question: Would you vote for a person that has a chance to voice his opinion and policies in front of millions? Or the man who states that the money is more important....Now. The first person already has stated earlier about the seriousness the ecomony is already in.
    It sounds like Obama/Biden are anxious about stepping in and leading this country and taking care of this nation and its people

September 25, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  19. Matt MC

Michelle Obama is unappealing? McCain's wife looks like she's had ten too many face lifts, and can you say Barbara Bush or Laura Bush...come on buddy...Michelle is beautiful, intelligent, strong, articulate, and I guarantee you wouldn't have the guts to say something like that to her face because she would IMMEDIATELY put you in your place! Ha!

September 25, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  20. Dylan

Go Michelle! Looking great in the photo, ready to be First Lady.

September 25, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  21. Jill-IN

I am so proud of Michelle Obama. She is an excellent role model for women and mothers.

September 25, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  22. JOHN

HERE'S SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT, WHAT IF OBAMA SHOWS UP AT THE DEBATE BY HIMSELF AND FOR THE FIRST HALF HOUR DOES A TOWN HALL MEETING AND THEN MCLAME SHOWS UP AFTER SAYING HE WOULD NOT BE THERE.

TOWN HALL MEETING AFTER ALL. NOTE TO OBAMA BE VERY CAREFUL.

September 25, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  23. Scranton, Pa

I cannot stand Michelle and her hatred. I wonder why her college will not release her thesis until the day after the election. I bet I know why!

September 25, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  24. MrManhattan

It would be too bad if McCain missed the debate. Imagine the headline:

P.O.W. goes A.W.O.L. !!!!!

September 25, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  25. Obama 08

To Superficial Guy... nobody cares about the Obama haters' opinions.

September 25, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |