September 25th, 2008

Palin: Russia's my next door neighbor

Gov. Palin visited with firefighters near the World Trade Center in New York City Thursday.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin defended the claim that Alaska’s proximity with Russia helps bolster her foreign policy resume in an interview released Thursday.

The Republican VP nominee, asked by CBS’s Katie Couric what she meant by that statement said: “That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and on our other side, the land - boundary that we have with - Canada.

“…our next door neighbors are foreign countries. They're in the state that I am the executive of,” said Palin.

The Alaska governor, asked if she had ever engaged in negotiations with Russia, said the country had swapped trade missions with her state. “It's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border,” she said.

“It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to our state."

Palin has spent the week meeting with foreign leaders in New York, as she seeks to boost her national security and foreign policy credentials.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Susan

Every time I've listened to a Palin interview I think that maybe, just maybe, I'm not understanding what she is saying. Then I read transcripts of the interviews and realize that I HAD NOT misunderstood her, and that she is unintelligible. Perhaps she's speaking in tongues? It's certainly not English as we know it.

September 25, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  2. Josh

I saw the movie Dumb and Dumber. Just saw Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest.

September 25, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  3. Carolin from Kentucky

As a woman, I'm officially offended by the choice of Palin as the first woman candidate for a major party – there were definitely better women candidates available. As a college English instructor, I'm appalled at her grammar, syntax and vocabulary (or lack thereof). As an international traveler and German by birth, I'm unfortunately not surprised by her utter lack of knowledge of geography, history, politics, and foreign policy – she reminds me of my worst English 101 students. And based on my teaching experience, I'm unfortunately not surprised that so many Americans fall for her.... The anti-intellectualism in this country is dangerous to its prosperity, I fear. Only the best and brightest should lead a country like the US, not somebody just like the base with all that implies....

September 25, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  4. Dom

What advise can McCain receive from Palin?
    With this pair in the White House we can be sure that we will head straight to a string of wars and economic disaster.
    No wonder McCain's campaign is trying to shield her from the press, keep her away from the debate while blocking the Troopergate investigation.

America wake up! We can't afford four more years of mismanagement.

No Way, No How, No McSame, No Palin.

September 25, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  5. stephen .E

father forgive us for we knows not what we do

September 25, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  6. jen

it's time to kick the xenophobes out of office, and repair the damages done for the last eight years. i know speaking on-the-spot is challenging, but someone with political experience who knows her mind and her facts would not stumble on her words so.

obama/biden! obama/biden! for women's rights, for a step in the right direction for lgbt couples, for the world!

i am from WASILLA ALASKA, an independently thinking woman, and i am voting obama all the way, with no hesitation and with lots of research.

September 25, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  7. Economy

What would you expect from a woman who was three months pregnant before she got married and tried to cover it up, flunked out of 4 schools before she got a Bachelors degree, had an affair with her husbands business partner. and supports her husband who doesn't work. Makes me want to have her in the WH :(

September 25, 2008 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  8. Joe

McCain and Palin do not care about this country. They are so desperate to become powerful people, they will do anything to have it. They will lie to our faces to the very end but hopefully fade away like any other losing presidential ticket.

Here are a couple of posted comments by the morons that support this ticket:

"GOV Palin is a SMART Woman. SHE would be Great on the Team.
    She is qualified – to be VP!"
    -good to see Sarah posting about herself on cnn.com

"Amerika is confusing professional campaigning- that Obama does better than anyone else- for actual experience."
    -if you can't spell America, can you even read the ballot when you go to the booth? Please, don't vote if you can't.

September 26, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  9. Marky A.

You people don't understand Sarah's got foreign policy experience because you people just don't realize that Russia really really is really close to Alaska... and Canada is, too! Really! No, really! Todd could drive his snowmobile to Russia it's so close. And Alaska has airspace and Putin, he's like a Satanic snake rearing his head into my airspace... OMG, I just got Putin's name right! I'm totally ready to be Vice President and I'm not going to blink or let the air out of my head or let any of those witches get to me with their evil witchcraft and snakes and Bad Guys like that Iran Guy or those Media People, with their condescending attitudes and endless questions about stuff nobody gives a rip about like this so called Foreign Policy business. For Gosh Sakes, I'm a Hockey Mom. I'm a Mom and I love hockey. I'm a really really popular governor in a state with a really really small population. Oh, hey, has anybody seen Trig?

September 26, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  10. Bullwinkle

From atop the Alaska mental hospital you can see Russia, and those ruseskis devils. thank GOD we have PALIN to out wit their evil plans!
    My only question is, can she point out Alaska on a map?

September 26, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  11. Homer Simpson

Ouch!!!!! Give me a break!

September 26, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  12. wow

This is horrible. WHO LET HER OUT OF THE ATTIC!!!?? I am a woman and it is hard for me to hear her speak. I cannot BELIEVE she even opens her mouth to say anything!! I said before that she was a puppet. wow she really needs to stick to the approved speeches..or just SHUT UP!! I like the later. Mccain wanted her for a pretty face...(blah) and that's all he got! It will be a sad sad sad 4 years if people vote for Mccain/Palin. I'm not sure that either candidate is fully qualified but OMG! The mccain/palin duo are really getting on my nerves. SOMEONE NEEDS TO TELL HER TO STOP!!!

September 26, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  13. DonnieJ

Putin would make minced meat out of this moron.

September 26, 2008 04:30 am at 4:30 am |
  14. Ellen

i can see canada from my house can i be vp

September 27, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  15. J Tyler

You will not be laughing when Putin's head invade and our Alaskan friends warn us in time

September 28, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |