September 25th, 2008

Palin: Russia's my next door neighbor

Gov. Palin visited with firefighters near the World Trade Center in New York City Thursday.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin defended the claim that Alaska’s proximity with Russia helps bolster her foreign policy resume in an interview released Thursday.

The Republican VP nominee, asked by CBS’s Katie Couric what she meant by that statement said: “That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and on our other side, the land - boundary that we have with - Canada.

“…our next door neighbors are foreign countries. They're in the state that I am the executive of,” said Palin.

The Alaska governor, asked if she had ever engaged in negotiations with Russia, said the country had swapped trade missions with her state. “It's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border,” she said.

“It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to our state."

Palin has spent the week meeting with foreign leaders in New York, as she seeks to boost her national security and foreign policy credentials.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Conor

Sorry Governor Palin, but I for one do not feel that living near a country makes you an expert on that country. In no way does this bolster your foreign policy credentials, rather this makes you appear to be desperate for support and out of touch with reality. Once you actually talk to a Russian political leader and the press is allowed to question you, get back to me. Stop letting yourself be coddled or you will never be ready to be vice president of the United States.

September 25, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  2. Richard

My neighbor is a police officer. I can see his house. I have talked to him about his work. I guess that makes me qualified to arrest bad guys.

3. mitchell

oh ,for crying out loud. you've met more pakistani's than you have russians. that means one!

4. NYC

I think she is eating too much moose burger because I need a moose dictionary to decipher her nonsensical words.

5. Ed, FL

As Obama said once it's like these guys take pride of being ignorant. That is the best argument they can come up with. Do they really think we are stupid. Until Palin goes to " The situation room", " Meet the press" and all the orther major network newsshow to answer some though questions, i do not even consider her as a serious V.P candidate.

6. April

And I am right next to Mexico, "it 's just right over the border" I shoud be running for VP

7. joshg

What ??? anyhow who cares.. i can see space from here, so i am an astronaut, i guess.

8. anyonmous

« Back to mainPrevious article:
    Obama: There needs to be a sense of urgencyNext article:
    Greene: Mississippi reaction

9. CJ - St. Louis, MO

WHAT??!!!

10. Tera

I CAN SEE RUSSIA FROM MY HOUSE!

11. Bulldog

What? Palin has to be the most unintelligent VP candidate ever. Almost all of her answers to the few questions she actually did answer either are very generic or she refers back to what John McCain wants. She doesn't know what she is doing....she's just there to read scripts and take photo-ops hoping the American people are stupid enough to fall for it.

12. cecil

No Way!

13. Kate Fergus

What is she talking about!!??? Clearly she has no idea. And this person would take over the presidency if anything happened to McCain (should he win the election!). God help America because America sure wouldn't be blessed if Palin became leader.

I wonder how much she really knows about Canada and Russia who share a proximity with Alaska. Give us some substantive details about these countries, their leaders and their policies. Oh! Sorry you don't know any??? Oh you have to get back to me on that?? What a surprise! NOT!!!!

Given this incompetence, I think McCain should release his medical records. He has had melanoma 6 times and it is a deadly form of cancer which is likely to return. This means that if he is elected, it is likely that Palin would have to take over in the event he is incapacitated. The country has a right to know.

14. j in mich

good- lets get on with the v.p. debates!!

September 25, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  15. Pixie

Yeah and when I look outside the window at night I see the moon, I guess by Palin's logic, that makes me an astronaut. Please make the stupid stop....

September 25, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  16. JustMe

I can see the moon at night. I'm an astronaut!

September 25, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  17. nikki

just plain stupid!

September 25, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  18. Northwest Washington

It is extremely scary watching this person think and speak. John McCain has a history of a life threatening cancer and is acting irrational and scattered and on top of this his left eye is suddenly drooping. She would be a heartbeat away from leading our country though the toughest times in our history. Under normal conditions, Sarah would have a 33% chance of replacing the President if he was healthy. She could definitely become our President before the next election. Oh my Gad!

September 25, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  19. tundemans

i saw that interview and the one of miss south carolina and couldnt help laughing hard and crying for our dear USA.

THESE ECONOMIC CRISIS IS JUST A TIP OF THE TROUBLE WE HAVE IN AMERICA.

the press IS A VERY BIG CULPRIT in all these. it is incredulous.
    i wanna know what katie couric was thinking right then.

September 25, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  20. Matt

WOW

just

WOW

September 25, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  21. John

Did Sarah Palin say she has economic ties with Russia? The same Russia that invaded Georgia and killed many innocent civilians? I thought she was opposed to how the Russians conduct themselves, unless there is a payday for Alaska in there?

September 25, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  22. Michael

I'm trying to parse Palin's argument, but it doesn't even seem logical. At least the lies had a logic to them (albeit a circular one).

September 25, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  23. Drew

Russia is going to be one of the top threats to the U.S. during the next administration. Palin is simply saying that she has dealt with that country in regards to air space and other negotiations. It's more than Obama can say....and she's only running for VP, not the top job like he is.

September 25, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  24. USA Forever!

OMG. wow.

She is showing herself to be not so bright.

September 25, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  25. CaliGranny

Ha Ha! Is this really what the Republicans put out as their VP pick? My husband who is a lifelong Repub and retired marine is ashamed and has decided to change parties this year. I a Independant and a woman could never ever vote for a woman like her. Heck, I am just as qualified to be Vice-Pres, I own a business and live next door to Mexico.

September 25, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |