September 25th, 2008

Palin: Russia's my next door neighbor

Gov. Palin visited with firefighters near the World Trade Center in New York City Thursday.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin defended the claim that Alaska’s proximity with Russia helps bolster her foreign policy resume in an interview released Thursday.

The Republican VP nominee, asked by CBS’s Katie Couric what she meant by that statement said: “That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and on our other side, the land - boundary that we have with - Canada.

“…our next door neighbors are foreign countries. They're in the state that I am the executive of,” said Palin.

The Alaska governor, asked if she had ever engaged in negotiations with Russia, said the country had swapped trade missions with her state. “It's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border,” she said.

“It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to our state."

Palin has spent the week meeting with foreign leaders in New York, as she seeks to boost her national security and foreign policy credentials.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Morgan from Montana

I just can't the image of the mom from "Bobby's World" out of my head.

With a degree in broadcasting from the University of Idaho, she sure doesn't sound too smart.

September 25, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  2. Maureen, Newman California

Watching Palin interview is like watching Jack Nicholsen on As Good As It Gets. I just find myself wondering what crazy thing she will say next. Well, the debate should be interesting next week to say the least.

September 25, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  3. TheSideLiner

THIS WOMAN NEED TO KEEP HER MOUTH SHUT.....SHE'S GIVEN AMERICAN POLITICIANS A REAL BAD NAME....THE ENTIRE WORLD IS FOLLOWING THIS ELECTION......SARAHLIAR,SARAHDUMBO.

September 25, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  4. Morten

Hot chick!! The ultimate MILF/VPILF!! "Vote for the hot chick". Notice, that the fire fighters seem to agree, all smiling.

September 25, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  5. ba-Rock says

wow. that's all i have to say...wow. that was so brutal. know your role and please shut your mouth,

September 25, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  6. Agness

send her back to Alaska please.... this not the time for stupid politics, and uneducated politicians

September 25, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  7. Lydia

You know what is even scarier than Palin...the Republicans who continue to support her candidacy and defend her.

September 25, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  8. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

Sorry, little girl, but simply WANTING to be something really bad doesn't mean you're cut out for it. You're no more qualified to be VP than Paris Hilton, and you're every bit as lame-brained!

September 25, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  9. Rich in Pennsylvania

I too am shocked that the news media, especially CNN, has not picked up on the witchcraft video. Obama had non stop coverage on his pastor who made 30 seconds of terrible remarks seven yrs ago without Obama even there in church. But now we have someone with extreme beliefs who gets protection from witchcraft and blessings to get campaign financing and to run the country from a Pastor that she then praised on video in June of this year as she recalled his 2005 witchcraft blessing. I don't mind people talking in tongues but this level of righteousness does not bode well for our nation reducing the war mongering and returning to an era of peace and prosperity. Where is the news media on this? How much more is there to this story?

September 25, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  10. FOLKS, DON'T BE SO HARSH WITH SARAH.

She is "speaking in tongues" and only God can interpret it.

Now, if only God will translate if for the rest of us.

September 25, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  11. Steve

Wow.

The few Palin apologists left around here really are rather sad.

Sorry, folks. The evidence is in. Not qualified.

September 25, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  12. Annette A.

I think she should stick to lipstick. Hey! She's not wearing any!

September 25, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  13. gun totin' fur wearing stay at home mama4obama

does she keep the clothes or are they loaners from McPimp's wife?

September 25, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  14. dennisec

The Kathy Couric interview was pathetic! McCain shelters palin to know end....I think McCain knows deep down that his debate and palins won't go well..That's why he's halting everything from fundraisers, ads, debates, and travel plans. McCain knows he's not fit to run this country.

September 25, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  15. Judy in Gilbert AZ

"Putin rears his head into American air space?" Just how is his neck? This is a moronic answer and this is the third or fourth time she has been asked this question.......had no one briefed her to prep for this question a bit better? My freshmen history students would get a zero for that answer. Second-guessing Israel and because "we don't want another Holocaust?" Even worse. Historical analogies are hard, they take a while to learn to use them well, again, my college frehmen make these kidns of mistakes. But I'm sorry, a possible VP of the United States???????? Pluh-eeeese. Palin is lost. I'm thinking now she is our only comic relief in this whole bailout crisis -

September 25, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  16. Common Sense in TX

And the dems have the experience and leadership of a 1 term Senator. Hope and Change all the way baby. Do you all hear yourselves?

September 25, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  17. colby

A degree in communications/journalism, earned after 6 years of popping in and out of 4 colleges? Sarah the Illiterate SHOULD be selected for a national role–that of "poster child" for reform of higher education!

September 25, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  18. Doug

She was a little shaky at times during the interview with Couric, but we must remember that she stands for basic family values - decent approaches to life learned through her Pentecostal upbringing and I am very proud of her!

September 25, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  19. the traveler

I love to travel and have been to all 50 states and 39 countries.

Therefore I have more foreign policy experience (yes, I've ACTUALLY been OUT of the country) than Palin and should be the next VP. Vote for me!

September 25, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  20. Jackson

My neighbor is Hispanic so that pretty much means I can claim to be fluent in Spanish.

September 25, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  21. Todd in TX

Jane, you prove my point. "Ignorant libs skeeeerd" – of this complete moron? I more scared of people like you who think living in Alaska makes you a Russian expert and I am anything but an ignorant lib. Why can't your hero simply outline her ideas for dealing with foreign affairs without resorting to these completely idiotic statements. At least Obama has actually lived and travelled outside the U.S and not just seen other places on TV. He also looks like he has no trouble in the intellect department. His perspective and knowledge give me more confidence that he can advance American policy when he meets a foreign leader. This is much more than I can say for Qualin. McCain should be ashamed for putting this lightweight on his ticket when there was so many better choices within the ranks of republicans and women. The fact that the heartbeat of a not too healthy lookin McCain is all that seperates her from the presidency should make anyone skeeerd.

September 25, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  22. Obama Jr

I'll buy that for a dollar!!...ha ha

September 25, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  23. Julie in KC

If Russia was MY neighbor I don't think I would go around destroying the economy of my own country! That Palin bimbo has single handedly destroyed our economy and destroyed the economy of our children. Now she wants to force them into incest and make us all buy guns for the children to pay with. I don't want a gun in my house. I don't like how unfair Palin is to Blacks and Jews. I'm going to vote Obama !

September 25, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  24. ba-Rock says

what is she going to do when she debates with biden? he will stomp her if she comes like that. all she seems capable of is juvenile wise cracks. her inclusion in this campaign is quite insulting. mccain would have done better to have gone after hillary herself, but instead he went for a poor counterfeit.

obama/biden '08

September 25, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  25. Hector, Lexington, Ky

Jane,
    Are you saying that Governor Palin is qualified to step in as the President ?

As a very conservative Republican, it scares the hell out of me to think she might become the Presendent of the Unites States if something ,God forebid, would happen to Presendent McMain.

September 25, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |