September 25th, 2008

Palin: Russia's my next door neighbor

Gov. Palin visited with firefighters near the World Trade Center in New York City Thursday.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin defended the claim that Alaska’s proximity with Russia helps bolster her foreign policy resume in an interview released Thursday.

The Republican VP nominee, asked by CBS’s Katie Couric what she meant by that statement said: “That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and on our other side, the land - boundary that we have with - Canada.

“…our next door neighbors are foreign countries. They're in the state that I am the executive of,” said Palin.

The Alaska governor, asked if she had ever engaged in negotiations with Russia, said the country had swapped trade missions with her state. “It's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border,” she said.

“It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to our state."

Palin has spent the week meeting with foreign leaders in New York, as she seeks to boost her national security and foreign policy credentials.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Mr Republican

Does this mean she's a communist?

September 25, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  2. Michigan Chick

Oh please shut up already!

September 25, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  3. Expatriating Patriot

OMG, is it possible? Her knowledge of the English language – not to mention her foreign policy – is even worse than W's

September 25, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  4. Drew in Denver

What? No wonder she has only given three interviews

September 25, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  5. Andrew

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

September 25, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  6. John

The VP is a complete novice, given John McCain's health it is a racing certainty that Palin will have to step up as Commander in Chief.

Obama/Biden is the only sensible vote for the well being of the country

September 25, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  7. Joe

Like Paul Begala said brilliantly, "I can see the moon from my back yard, but that doesn't make me an astronaut!!"

September 25, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  8. Jeff

So, let me get this straight. If I live in a state bordering Mexico or Canada, and I can see them from my window, then that makes me a foreign policy expert on those nations? Come on, Sarah. Trade delegations don't count or Richard M. Daley in Chicago would be the Secretary of State due to his travels to China for the Olympics. Now I know why the Republicans don't let you speak.

September 25, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  9. Lee

LAUGHABLE!

September 25, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  10. Luke

You have to be kidding me!
    Sarah Palin is a complete joke and it terrifies me that she could be so close to ruling this country.

September 25, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  11. Steve

DUH.... she just doesn't get any smarter does she?

September 25, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  12. S.

Havana is closer to Washington (about 1,110 miles) than the Juneau is to the closest point in Russia (about 1,230 miles).

September 25, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  13. Rodger

Yeah, she can see Russia from her house!

September 25, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  14. This is funny

this is a joke right?
    Americans are idoits.

September 25, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  15. Todd in SC

Hey Sarah, I live in SC and we are the closest state to Africa ,so if you get elected can I be in charge of US/ African relations? LOL this woman is showing herself to be utterly incompetent and less than intelligent.

September 25, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  16. eric frank morrison

why is she shooting herself in the foot and from the hip,she sarah palin and john macain have subjected themselves to mockery and ridicule for the past 10 days ,and i think enough is enough,the whole world is watching.

September 25, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  17. dave

You have got to be kidding me. People will actually vote for these morons???

September 25, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  18. To the moon

I can see the moon from my yard. I must have the knowledge to make decisions on mining the moon or I should be an astronaut because all my life I've been able to see the night sky.

September 25, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  19. Happy in Oregon

She must be kidding! She has no foreign crediblity and her interviews with Couric only show how pathetic she is.

September 25, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  20. Big D

OK – again – for every McCain supporter – Imagine what an interview like this would have been like with any of the other top VP conteders. How do you think Pawlenty or Jindal or Ridge would do in an appearance like this? Or any other random governor, even without preparation? Her performance here has to honestly be rated as subpar to any of thos other VP candidates.
    So what does that tell you about McCain picking her to be VP? It tells me that he sure didn't put 'Country First'. It tells me that he's willing to risk the entire country's future, just so he can have a chance to be elected President. Maybe he's willing to take that risk, but I'm not!!!
    Over and over again – McCain overreacts and takes inappropriate risks. Our country's future should not be put at risk like this!

September 25, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  21. gloria

Good Grief Charlie Brown....how can anyone be so stupid???

September 25, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  22. CNN pro mcain

-–mcBush drop already---

September 25, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  23. Lynne

Lord have mercy......she really doesn't know any better.

September 25, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  24. Daniel, Loganville. Ga.

WOW!! God help us. Seriously.

September 25, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  25. peggyledbetter

It is outrageous what comes out this woman mouth. My daughter who is 12 years old can give better answers on the economy then Palin.

September 25, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |