September 26th, 2008

McCain will attend debate

McCain will attend Friday's debate.

McCain will attend Friday's debate.

WASHINGTON (CNN ) - Republican presidential nominee John McCain has decided to travel to Mississippi to participate in Friday night's presidential debate with his Democratic rival, Barack Obama, McCain campaign staff said.

McCain said earlier this week he would not attend the debate if an agreement had not been reached on a $700 billion bailout plan for Wall Street.

Election Center: What to expect from upcoming debates

The campaign said the Republican presidential nominee believed that enough progress had been made for him to travel to Mississippi to participate in the debate, set for 9 p.m. ET at the University of Mississippi campus.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Joe

Flip-flop, flip-flop, flip-flop. I thought he said he was suspending his campaign. I thought he said no deal; no debate, Can we trust anything McCain says? Does anyone really believe he is presidential material, let alone his running mate? Is this the calm, collected president we want with his finger on the button? This is down right scarry. God help us all if McCain/Palin wins this thing.

2. Ashley, OH

So first he flies to Washington to try and save his campaign and now that it didn't work and he has been shown to be more trouble than help, he is going to attend the debate to try and save his campaign. What political stunt will he pull tomorrow?

Thank you Obama for keeping course and not giving me a headache by running all over the country.

3. Larry

Good! I'm glad they were able to get Mr. Polly Prissypants to quit sulking and come out of his room. Oxford put up a lot of money for this debate, and McWorse was ready to stiff them one of the poorest states with a $5.5 million dollar loss, plus rob them of their moment in the sun. Does anybody really think he'd have pulled this stunt if the debate was in, say, Ohio or Pennsylvania? He's taking the people of Mississippi for granted, and they should feel pretty insulted for that. At least Obama understood the situation and was ready to follow through on his commitments... the way a REAL leader does. You can't trust McCain's word for anything. He's turning his campaign into a circus, and he doesn't deserve to be president of this great country.

4. joe mett

America be warned!

John McCain's erratic behavior is due to his health situation. At 72 years old, McCain takes medication for blood pressure, high cholestrol, vertigo, arthritis etc. McCain's health situation is relevant in the campaign for the White House.

Anybody who takes medication for blood pressure, high cholestrol, vertigo etc. is naturally a victim of erratic mood swings. Let the voters know! and then decide whether such a person is healthy enough to go to the White House as president!

5. CB

Did you think he would not show?

6. David

It is better be that way..I wonder how productive or sucessful his approach to suspend the campaign was...if anything was the campaign ever suspended. Or was it time to change the momentum. I would like to hear what he has to say about the suspension..I want if this is a straight talk ...maverick approach to resolvign problems.

7. M in Manhattan

I feel as if I am in the Twilight Zone.

8. SK

I am glad that the economy has been saved. Wasn't that the condition for McCain to debate? Oh wait – nothing has actually been done! Can we blame Obama on this one? Please??

9. Former Republican for OBAMA

MCSHAME'S CONTRIBUTION TO THE DEBATE,

POW, POW, POW, POW, POW, POW, POW, POW.

10. Millsy

Time for the fun to begin! Time for McCain to blow this clown Obama away. No teleprompter tonight!

11. SD

Well isn't that special. Just another grandstand that flopped, just like his sagging campaign. I was really pissed at his arrogance, "I am directing Sen. Obama to suspend his campaign too", get a life dude. You aren't directing anybody in a positive direction. You are directing: the press not to speak to you or Palin, lawyers to intercede in a investigation about abuse of power and the fight against regulation of Wallstreet (which is what got us in this mess in the first place). Pathetic is the only word I can come up with, pathetic.

12. Post It Note

No real surprise here – I'm glad Obama didn't take the grandstand bait originally... and once I saw he didnt, I knew McCain wouldn't let Obama show up in Mississippi alone to have the alternative town hall style "sit-down-with-Barack-Obama Friday Night Special".... I'm looking forward to the debate... should be interesting.

13. Mike

Darn it! I was looking forward to Obama debating a giant cardboard cutout of McCain.

14. Diana Ewing NJ

I thought we all understood all that stuff was for effect... and that he would show up....

15. Vincent, Great Lakes Illinois

Imagine that! With all the drama going on he decided that it was in America's best interest to go on with the debates.
    With this move he has put "Country First."
    There is always webcam to follow what is going on in Washington on the floor and in the meetings, if need be.

Now, if we can only get that ball of fluff to debate...

16. GERRY

WOW – LAY OUT THE RED CARPET FOR THE SUPPOSED ONLY P.O.W. THAT SUFFERED IN THE WORLD ! Enough is enough already. I wouldn't miss this debate for the world. Now the country is going to see where the intellect comes in on everything thqt is important to us people, the ones, remember McSelf, that you are supposedly working for...... I've got to say however, I am getting sick and tired of all this constant talk with opposites on news shows, etc.
    Hopefully, all will be well after November 4th..We must pray....

17. the other jd

Flippity-floppity floo
    Weathervane McCain
    more bravado than brain

18. Rod

It was a political stunt on McCain's part. He did absolutely nothing to add to the discourse on finding a solution to this economic crisis. He comes across as looking foolish, panicked, and inept. He has yet to even take a position on the proposed bailout.

19. McCain Invented the BlackBerry, Palin Invented the Manure Spreader

Uncle! UNCLE!!!

20. Karen, Arkansas

Does this breaking news surprise anyone. His apprearence is # 6 on his Bucket List.

21. canuck

good, now go kick barry's butt. good luck john. mike from canada – stay in canada, your making me look bad down here.

September 26, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  22. Poor McLame

McCain to show up with his tail tucked between his legs.

September 26, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  23. Karen - Missouri

Only because the smart Republicans kicked him out of Washington!

September 26, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  24. Johnny (Mc) come lately...

I was looking forward to Plan B. McCain's political theater flopped at the box office. He loses the Emmy and my vote!

September 26, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  25. Neil

What a joke! Are we any closer to an agreement now then when McCain made his noble offer to save us from the economic turmoil? Please... save it.

September 26, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |