September 26th, 2008

McCain will attend debate

McCain will attend Friday's debate.

McCain will attend Friday's debate.

WASHINGTON (CNN ) - Republican presidential nominee John McCain has decided to travel to Mississippi to participate in Friday night's presidential debate with his Democratic rival, Barack Obama, McCain campaign staff said.

McCain said earlier this week he would not attend the debate if an agreement had not been reached on a $700 billion bailout plan for Wall Street.

Election Center: What to expect from upcoming debates

The campaign said the Republican presidential nominee believed that enough progress had been made for him to travel to Mississippi to participate in the debate, set for 9 p.m. ET at the University of Mississippi campus.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain
  1. NYFN08

The headline should read: As of 11:31AM, John McCain's *current position* is that he will attend Friday evening's debate.

2. mayah

hee haw, Obama is getting ready to have a field day..

3. Dee, Tx

McCain needs to put the country first and vote Democratic....

4. Shari, NY

Thank you, Mr.McCain. I am looking forward to it.

5. Ed

He needed a few headlines and you guys in the media gave them to him. But truly I we all saw how stupid he really is...

6. bij

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

7. chelle

Oh he finally realized his private jet would fly him there in an hour or so??? So he could spend the day in one place and fly to the other?
    Cuz you know with his expertise on economic matters, the bailout will be wrapped up in noooooooooo time! Or heck – maybe he could just let the committee members hammering out the deal and the President of the United States do their jobs?

8. voter1

Honesty, after the last few days of camera hogging by the McCain camp, I don't think this is "Breaking News" and I really don't care what he does. I'm not voting for him.

9. Jill- IIN

And he should attend; are we suppose to feel grateful?

10. sam

I guess only LIBERALS and Democrats read CNN blogs

How sad!

11. Lisa

I thought he was going to stay in Washington until the financial crisis was solved. I can't believe this.

12. the other jd

Hey, Chuck! You think Obama supporters don't work the swing shift? Guess again, buddy!

13. Cooper Toronto

He can smell what America thinks! Don't monkey around with the future of the country...

Most common people in America hold two or three jobs just to make ends meet. Let's suppose John McCain was elected president, and there is a terrorists attack, ecponomic meltdown compounded by Russia's invasion of urkrain, What will he do? Suspend All engaments and deal with the ones that pose the most danger? US president should be able to handle ALL the issues at once.

14. Joyce, nj

Talk about drama. I do hope that Obama wipe the floor with him.
    I can't wait.

15. Bit

We knew it was a smoke screen anyway...............PLEASE!!!!!

September 26, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  16. kadia

Mc Cain is just distracting people , what can he do to solve the economic crisis( georges Bush is the one to solve it he is still the president of the USA) , he just wants to make things go slowly , sometimes i even wander if it is not the repulicans who have created this crisis and they solve it and will tell people look there was an economic crisis we solve it so we are more capable of leading the usa , we are not foolish ,

September 26, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  17. Jeff

Now maybe Obama will stop whining for today...

September 26, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  18. McLIAR

Flippy floppy!

September 26, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  19. R. Cooper

Phoney!!!! He was going to the debate all along!! Doesn't he know that most Americans are smarter then him and Sarah! All of this phoney bluffing played out 40 years ago!

September 26, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  20. Dumbledore

Oh good. now we can see him choking. Did anyone see what Huckabee had to say about his campaign suspension?

September 26, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  21. Voice

Tell me again what the purpose of his bolt to Washington was about? I'm confused. If congress is still in session and hasn't reached a conclusion, why didn't he stick to his original statement of the debate and my campaign will not go on until this is resolved. It's not resolved, yet he's appearing at the debates.

He's seems to be flapping in the wind. He looks tired, overwhelmed and this stress may very well be a cause for illness (although I don't wish it upon anybody!!!) Nonetheless, it makes me more concerned about "I'll get back to ya..." Palin in the oval office. Ok, she doesn't know the record of other politicians, but her own running mate?????

September 26, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  22. me

Whopie do!

Is this news to anyone? McCain played russian roulette with an AK, in the process made himself look really ineffective.

People are saying he might get killed in the debate tonight... and this one is about foreign policy; His (alleged) speciality.

When will we learn that these issues are not segregated in the real world the way we like to label them in politics? Our economy is only as strong as our foreign policy is wise. One cannot succeed without the other.

Say what you want to say. McCain is Bush 44. Its not just a talking point, its sad reality.

September 26, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  23. ELC- North Carolina

I am just amazed at some of our opinions. As I drive through surrounding neighborhoods in my area, I see people who are obviously living in despair with McCain and Palin signs in their yard.

This is election should not be about who we admire, respect, or want to have a beer with, this election needs to be about who can handle the the transitions with our world, inspire the nation, remain calm and level headed in a crisis, and educated to express a sound judgement.

I am not saying who we should vote for, just ask yourselves the above questions and make your decision.

September 26, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  24. Lee

Michael is right, this is no doubt, on one level, political grandstanding. On another level it is additional evidence of an impulsive, reckless temperament that is ill-suited to the responsibilities of the presidency.

September 26, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |