September 26th, 2008

McCain will attend debate

McCain will attend Friday's debate.

McCain will attend Friday's debate.

WASHINGTON (CNN ) - Republican presidential nominee John McCain has decided to travel to Mississippi to participate in Friday night's presidential debate with his Democratic rival, Barack Obama, McCain campaign staff said.

McCain said earlier this week he would not attend the debate if an agreement had not been reached on a $700 billion bailout plan for Wall Street.

Election Center: What to expect from upcoming debates

The campaign said the Republican presidential nominee believed that enough progress had been made for him to travel to Mississippi to participate in the debate, set for 9 p.m. ET at the University of Mississippi campus.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Wake Up!!!

It angered me to hear my friends say that Mccain was being a leader, when he never suspended his campaign or joined in the discussion at the white house. The truth is that Mccain is not a leader and needs to called out for what he is, a fraud, Obama and the Minority Republican leader were going at it, while Mccain never said a word.

2. Chelle in Fla

as to be expected, all the hoopla was for nothing, McShame

3. Victor from MI

Hazzah! I guess everyone calling him McChicken didn't help his numbers!

4. carlo

So much for country first! This was a ploy by McCain, who is playing high stakes poker with the future of America, first by selecting that dimwit Palin to be his VP, then my handling the economic crisis like someone with Tourret's. I would love to meet the 40% of Americans who would actually trust this highly unstable man to run this country.

5. John

Folks, after what happened yesterday let's just be glad John McCain isn't continuing to "help" negotiations in Washington. It'll be safer for us all to have him somewhere else.

6. jim hawkins

Really who the hell cares. A debate will not sway me in either
    direction.I was for Hillary now I support Obama/Biden like a true
    DEM.should..

7. Economysdown

I thought this was a serious time for our country and there is no time to waste on debates.

Seems like David Letterman scared the hell out of McCain.

8. Marion S. McIntosh

It's quite simple. When McCain's Camp found out that Obama would have a Town Hall Meeting to himself with most of the nation watching, he decided he would attend. Go figure. Obama '08!

9. Calling It Like It Is

Great.

I'm SO GLAD that we have a completed bailout bill. After all, Senator McCain said he wouldn't be at the debate until we had a bill signed off with all the details completed.

The tough POW, war hero who understands how to "get things done" is weak, prone to miscalculation, reckless and niave. He has ZERO credibility as a thoughtful leader.

I only hope that America does not let any watered down expectations of his performance tonight lower the bar for him.

Let's look for objective evidence of competence tonight from both candidates. We're not electing a President on a curve.

10. Sammy

Thank goodness. I thought I would be subjected to "um..um..um.." for 90 minutes since Obama knows nothing about national security. A town hall without a teleprompter would have been just boring.

11. Gina

McCain should have never cancelled in the first place. He has no idea about what's going on with the economy, and he knows that. That's why he punked out and ran to Washington. Economic problems have been going on all year, so why go to Washington now to "rescue us and save the day"? Bunch of crap. It seems like the economy going bad is news to McCain.

My question is, if we can potentially cancel political events and suspend campaigns, why didn't we do this during the Republican Convention when the hurricane was going on? We still had a convention, yet people were suffering in a different way, potentially losing everything they own, but he didn't try and suspend the campaign then. He's full of it...

12. Sharon

His grandstanding didn't work, he messed up the deal yesterday so he has no choice but to try to redeem himself by showing up. I'm sure he'll say he's "not as focused" due to the problems in Washington but he'd find some excuse one way or another. Both he and Palin usually do. After all, they wouldn't want us to have "high" expectations, would they?!

13. Abraham Jibowo

We are happy to note that John McCain will take part in the debate. The whole world is watching daily with interest. I am happy he will not disappoint the Americans and the rest of the progressive world. Bitterness should be removed from the campaigns. What the world wants is purposeful leadership which will strenghten American and the world economy. Bipartisanship being promoted by the two candidates gives a ray of hope for peace and prosperity in the US and the world. God will protect both candidates.

14. Concerned INDEPENDENT CT voter

McCain is a joke...

-V

15. Paul from NYC

So is his campaign un-"suspended"?

16. SUNSHINE

republicans must like to fool the American people...they show up like the savior of america because they acted like they did something but they didnt

17. FL4OB

McCain goes from dancing queen to drama queen. ROTFL

No way, no how, no McCain-Palin!

18. sandy

I am glad he is going, but he will have the opportunity to state he was not keen on leaving Washington, but felt he had no other choice. What ever he will find someway to turn this to his advantage. I hope the American's eyes are not as blind as McCain thinks they are.

19. GP

So who's trying to act like the messiah now? Give us a break. McCain has tried to make this crisis of the people "all about me, me, me, look at me!!!" Obama's been in Washington all this time, too, but he hasn't been trying to hog the spotlight or keep the country hostage with these dramatic shenanigans. Thank God someone is consistent and dependable–if Obama says he'll show up, he'll show up.

20. Pam

you dimwits! Is this all you really care about? A stupid debate that will not change any of your minds on anything? Why even have a vote on Nov 4? You already have Obama in the White House based on POLLS! Stop already with the HATE!

September 26, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  21. Mike in Fairfax

Jack,

You obviously have access to the internet. Rather than spout drivel, why not do some research? You should start with the "Community Reinvestment Act', then move on to the "Federal Housing Enterprise Reform Act" of 2005. When you are done there, go see what the reduction in the corporate tax rates has done for Ireland and it's citizens. After that, come back and tell us all what you found out. Show a little independence and base your vote on some facts rather than blindly rooting for your favorite team. This is our country, not a penant race.

September 26, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  22. J

Great!!! Now I just have to take something so that I can stay awake when McCain speaks.

September 26, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  23. James

He's very desperate.He clearly said he would only participate in the debate if there was a deal in the bail out plan. As many people have been arguing, it was just a political stunt aimed at changing the current debate. McShame put politics before the nation. He's losing this election whether he likes it or not.

September 26, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  24. Mike Sk

Cave IN!!! Bye Bye McSame!

September 26, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  25. Rachel

I think most of the posts are pretty nasty towards McCain. To be frank, I don't see there is any big difference between McCain and Obama. Both of them play dirty politics (just watch the ads from both sides). I am really disappointed in the politicians. Don't we deserve better or we have to choose the less evil one!!!

September 26, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |