September 26th, 2008

Crowley: Both candidates land uppercuts, whose was sharper?

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) - Awards so far for best upper cuts:

–Obama, questioning why McCain would object to going into Pakistan to get Al Qaeda, since he's someone who sings songs about bombing Iran. (he did once, months ago on the campaign trail, as a joke: "Bomb Bomb Bomb. Bomb Bomb Iran," sung to the tune of the Beach Boys' "Barbara Ann." Hasn't sung it since.)

Watch: Analyzing the debate

–McCain, explaining why he will not commit to meeting with the Head of Spain: because "I don't even have a seal yet" - a reference to an instance this summer when Obama's campaign put a presidential-like seal on his podium. Lots of ridicule resulted. The seal hasn't been seen since.

Filed under: Candy Crowley
  1. Kurious

McCain will not look at Obama in the eye?! Why is that? Is he not confident in himself? Does he fear his opponent? What kind of man doesn't look at his opponent during a debate? I was giving McCain the benefit of the doubt but he is now proving he is NOT a man of character. He is arrogant and weak! Obama continues to look his way but McCain is completely ignoring him... I don't know who else is noticing but I sure am!

September 26, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  2. Craig in Kansas

This debate is a clear win for Obama

September 26, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  3. Roland

If Schneider wrote this, he would call it a cheap shot. What a whiner.

September 26, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  4. kyle from auburn

obama wins by knockout

September 26, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  5. Barney

I'm voting for the smart one

NOT THE OLD LIAR
    No More wars

September 26, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  6. JD

I did not hear Bill crying cheap shot for what McLame Said

September 26, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  7. Fabian Blache III, Baton Rouge, LA

I had no problem with either remark, however, the one Senator Obama made was the more effective of the two.

September 26, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  8. Brandi

Obama thinks this one is in the bag...unfourtunatly he is disconnected from main street usa.

September 26, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  9. alexa

I liked the seal comment!

September 26, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  10. ted

Obama has landed more uppercuts

September 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  11. Brendan

I think McCain's retort to Obama's "spain" upper-cut was rediculous, he didnt observe the foundation of the question or ctake the oportunity to defend himself, he laughed and joked. Is that how he plans on working in the white house?

September 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  12. Kate Fergus

Only Obama is looking presidential from where I sit. And I have been listening carefully to both sides for months!!

September 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  13. Kim-Canada

Do any media or commentators feel that the seriousness facing your country right now has been adressed. Does anyone have a warm fuzzy about either of these two leaders of their party becoming President. I hope that's adressed this evening on CNN after this debate.

September 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  14. Dominique

McCain should not have sung it the first time. That was almost as bad as Bush saying "Bring it on".

September 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  15. Julia

McCain's arrogance does nothing to enhance his stature or convince me to vote for him. 8 years ago I may have voted for him. Now my vote stands firmly with Obama!

September 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  16. CMR

I guess you could call that a hit for McCain. I didn't get the reference until I read this post.

September 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  17. Kris K from RM,CA

The difference is Obama is telling the truth. MCain is being snotty. That is the difference.

September 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  18. no to McCain

I have seen enough. I just don't trust McCain. He is the same ole same ole, polished politician. He tries to twist the issues and mischaracterized his opponent instead of just stating his position.

September 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  19. Rachielle from VA

obama is coming off more presidential and cool, calm and collective. mccain cant even look him in the eye. he's falling apart at the seams. and people think we should vote him in office?

pfft.

September 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  20. oh puhleeze

cheap, but probably effective. sadly, more interesting to most than the substance of the this debate. which is quite substantive, thank you jim lehrer

September 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  21. Cindy, Arcadia, CA

I had higher expectations for McCain, he is doing a very bad job. He can't even look at Obama. That says alot about him.

September 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  22. Bobbie Andrews

I think the debates went better than I thought but I was worried about the fact that Obama addressed and looked at McCain but McCain would not look at him. A little think but I was taught when a child to look at whom you are talking to.

September 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  23. Wade

Did anyone notice that throughout the night…. Sen. John McCain has avoided looking Sen. Obama in the eye. What does that signify? Also he barely agrees with Sen. Obama on any issues in order to express his bipartisan leadership.

September 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  24. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Imagine, Obama, a President tough on diplomacy and not just tough on war!

September 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  25. Brad

Seriously? All the serious topics being discussed and you decide to highlight "Bomb Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran" and the seal? You think those were the most important things to come out of that discussion? What a poor example of journalism.

September 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |