September 26th, 2008

Crowley: Equally average performance from both candidates

CNN

Watch: Sen. John McCain explains why the U.S. cannot allow Iran to have nuclear weapons.

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) - Debates are always a good thing - but anybody hear anything new? The two of them stayed pretty flat the whole night.

Watch: Undecided voters weigh in

Still, McCain worked in the phrase Obama "doesn't understand" several times, and Obama linked McCain to Bush several times - so I assume their campaigns will claim mission accomplished.

Filed under: Candy Crowley
  1. C Bess

I think your right Candy, this looks like a tie :)

September 26, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  2. TK, Dallas, TX

my opinion of mccain is that he was using the tone of his voice to evoke fear and other than his lies nothing new from mccain

September 26, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  3. Pamela

I find McCain did nothin but talk about war and fighting. No diplomacy no desire to work with other countries. I think McCain sees the world in a scary way. I do not want him as Commander and Chief.

September 26, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  4. David - Va

Crowley? Are you serious? Were you paying attention ANY?
    Sen Obama won this debate hands down!

September 26, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  5. mama sue

The weirdest moment was when McCain tried to link Obama with Bush.

September 26, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  6. Diana NJ

Yes he McCain uses that expression as Lee Atwater told Bush to use that... expression...

September 26, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  7. sandee in Portland

I wasn't so much interested in what they were saying. I was more interested in watching body language, etc. Obama would look as McCain when he was talking but when McCain was talking, he would only look at the moderator. Is he afraid to look at Obama because he's afraid his temper will rise? Also, did anyone notice how much McCain blinked when he was talking. Pretty much says it all. Neither of them strayed far from their stump speeches.

CNN: I've posted a comment on each of the tickers, but never get past waiting for moderation. What gives? Are not each of us allowed to say what we think?

September 26, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  8. Pamela

I did not want anything new. I wanted to see who was more presidential. McCain did nothing but make me want to run away from him -far, far away. Obama I trust.

September 26, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  9. Hanky

I think Obama slightly edged McCain and he did look more presidential than did McCain.

September 26, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  10. uncle shawn

boring.

September 26, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  11. Les

My mom is 76 and just called me and said after the debate she thinks McCain acts too old and talks down to Obama and the U.S. She and I agree that McCain talks too much about his past and isn't ready for 2008. He also acts like a buffoon with his sarcasm and smirking rather than a world leader.

September 26, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  12. Chris from STL

I agree ... it was very average ... did not stand up to the hype.

September 26, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  13. Some honor

Yeah, McCain also stated he would consider doing a "direct freeze on all spending except military and veterans". What a stupid comment and something that would completely kill the economy, not help it.

Lets not also pretend like we didn't see the obvious in the disrespect McCain displayed during the debate toward Obama. That's not the tone or attitude a leader of this country can display during a debate or discussion. He can not act that way with foreign leaders or groups (inside or outside of this diverse country) that he may not understand or appreciate.

September 26, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  14. Paula

McCain was weak,no straight answers,too much rambling and used old war stories when he had no good thoughts.

September 26, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  15. Keith Jorgenson

McCain looks and sounds like an old, grumpy, know it all, and out of it grandpa. He does not look like president....

September 26, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  16. Julian

Give Obama his credit he won, if you won't tell it the american people will in the polls

September 26, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  17. MarioB. from Berlin for OBAMA/BIDEN

Mission Accomplished...well...it was a tie, I think one can say that.
    But a tie is a moral win for Obama, who really started that debate as underdog... I don't think McCain can gain any ground in the polls, that was not good enough... not at all!

September 26, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |