September 26th, 2008

McCain aide: ‘It’s like they have the place bugged’

The McCain campaign released a Web video featuring debate footage before the candidates left the stage.

(CNN) – Before John McCain walked off the stage, his campaign already had a new Web video up featuring footage of the first debate – clips of Barack Obama agreeing with his Republican rival. On the McCain campaign Web site, spokesman Michael Goldfarb noted mid-debate that journalists were already describing that refrain as fodder for a new ad: “It's like they have the place bugged,” he said.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. kafrea

I can't believe that Obama keeps spouting new expeditures when we are in this economic crisis. If now is not the time to cut spending, i don't know when is the right time.

September 26, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  2. E Thomas

Obama Has no idea what hes talking about. For the first time hes had to focus on actual policies instead of change rhetoric. And what does he say? "I agree with you John." Obama just learned a lot about foreign policy

September 26, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  3. Guantanamo Hotel for Republi-con Scum

Obama did call him out on his lies. He also displayed that he had a broader and better perspective on the issues. McCain tried desperately to paint him as inexperienced and continually referred to the surge as if that was the beginning of the war but when Obama called him out on his errors in judgment regarding Iraq it was brilliant.

September 26, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  4. Phoenix

Inquiring Minds, Obama is running for president because some of us do not like living in economic devastation. McCain was right, remember, he steals Obama's ideas, like change.

September 26, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  5. mekeda

I think that barack obama did a great job john mccain seems to dance around alot of questions. when john mccain stated that we dont have time for on the job training. what does he think he will have to do with his vp pick sara palin what type of experience does she has ?

September 26, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  6. Joel

Great debate. And as I predicted, McCain wooped Obama's (you get the picture). Biden will make up for it, though.

September 26, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  7. Susan in Colorado

If anyone would bug someone, it would be the Republicans. It's what they do/did best. Remember Watergate!

GO OBAMA!

September 26, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  8. PW/ Salem Oregon

Way to go Obama!!!
    I am proud to support a candidate that is big enough to say he agrees with his opponent when he does. How maverick is that everybody!!! Integrity all the way ,oh ,and he can make eye contact too!
    Obama spoke for me tonight the average American.

September 26, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  9. Tomato Chick8

McCain won this bout – next !!!

September 26, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  10. Bryan

I cannot believe CNN - you are soooo biased. I am a democrat and have been a long-time viewer of CNN. What do I see when I first open the CNN page - just a picture of Obama. Even though there were 2 (that was two) people at the debate - CNN only chose to show 1 (Obama). You should be ashamed to call yourself a news organization.

September 26, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  11. elaine

McCain can't look at Obama straight in the eye when responding or talking to him. On the other hand, Obama was looking at McCain in the eye when responding. Is it because McCain was twisting Obama's statements and comments and mischaracterizing Obama as well all the while during the debate? McCain just kept on repeating certain sentences, ie, "Obama does not clearly understand, or Obama's naivette". Was he told to say these things repeatedly so that the dumb American voters will then absorb the lies and then eventually start believing them? My, how sad that the McCain campaign thinks sooo low of the American intelligence.

September 26, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  12. California Voter

I think the debate came out surprisingly even from my perspective. I thought McCain was far more personable, while Obama remained his aloof self. No humor coming from Obama. In fact, it looked like McCain was getting under Obama's skin, much like what happened when he and Hillary debated. Obama is so intent on coming off as presidential he tries to be the moderator as well as the one who answers the questions. Constantly, raising his finger to interrupt and then sneering at McCain. Interesting debate overall. BTW, it was difficult to tell who each was looking at while answering the quesitons, although Jim Lehrer did ask Obama to look at McCain when responding to one of the questions.

September 26, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  13. William

Why doesn't someone ask McCain the exact meaning of what "winning the war" in Iraq means? Mayhap the permanent occupation of that country?

September 26, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  14. D&D

McCain never looked Obama in his eyes, why is that?

September 26, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  15. Annie

I thought Obama was considerate of McCain. Will America really believe that just because Obama may agree with him on some things that he agrees with all. That would be silly. McCain creeped me out. He's living in the past, is all about what he did way back when, and was incredibly obvious about his feelings. He never once looked Obama's way. Very hostile, almost like a cornered wild animal.

September 26, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  16. Jason, Rochester Hills, MI

Whenever a political figure is wreckless enough to announce that he thinks Putin is KGB on GLOBALLY BROADCAST television coverage...we cannot afford as a nation to give him the power to act on is feelings. McCain is a dangerous old man and cannot be given power to act.

If he were elected we would be in a world war by the middle of his first term...he is already laying the groundwork. What is even more scary is the fact that he is too riddled with cancer to live through the war he begins and our nation would be stuck with Palin who cannot even answer a question in an interview with Couric. Wake up America...run from this while we still have the chance. NO MORE BUSH and that means NO MCCAIN/Palin

September 26, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  17. What ever

Nop,... I've heard that for almost 2 yrs in their campaigns. It was boring. Hurry and get it done so we don't have to listen to them anymore. Now I accept that whoever gets elected he can only stay in the White House for 8 yrs the most.

September 26, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  18. John Neale

In my opinion, this was hard to watch. It would have almost been easier watching them square off with a game of basketball. Obama is on his game and looks more presidential than I've ever seen him. McCain seems really old and foggy but also angry and somewhat paranoid. He also doesn't seem to be listening to what Obama is saying which is a critical flaw for a debater or a president. I like McCain. I appreciate his heroism and his patriotism and we really needed him 8 years ago. Today, however, Obama is who we all need to stay moving forward into the future instead of being bridled to political ideologies of the past.

September 26, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  19. Terry

To me, the debate brought out the old way vs. the new way. There were several times where John McCain was condescending when addressing Barack Obama. Let's face it; John McCain has been around Washington for a long time. As I review the events of the last week, coupled with the events of the last eight years, it seems that the old guys seem to be trying to tell the young guys, "just do it my way because I have been around longer than you". Well, I am tired of old men sending young men to war. I served in Viet Nam, and I arrived home before John McCain. To me, the only heroes of that war, or any war, are those men and women that paid the ultimate sacrifice. I think it is time for new leadership and new, fresh ideas.

September 26, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |