September 26th, 2008

McCain aide: ‘It’s like they have the place bugged’

The McCain campaign released a Web video featuring debate footage before the candidates left the stage.

(CNN) – Before John McCain walked off the stage, his campaign already had a new Web video up featuring footage of the first debate – clips of Barack Obama agreeing with his Republican rival. On the McCain campaign Web site, spokesman Michael Goldfarb noted mid-debate that journalists were already describing that refrain as fodder for a new ad: “It's like they have the place bugged,” he said.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. A CANUCK

McCain came across as a patronizing old man who is living in the past.......Obama is a very intelligent man with common sense and will make an amazing President for this century.

September 26, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  2. Ellie, Boyds MD

WHERE was John McCain's flag pin? He whined about Sen. Obama not wearing a pin and he walks OUT without wearing one. Hummm.

I found Sen. McCain very predictable tonight in the debate. He kept talking about Ronald Reagan, General Petraas, etc. McCain looked like he was having an anxiety attack. He kept gritting his teeth while "smerking", but never ONCE did he look at Sen. Obama.

Is General Petraas the ONLY General in the country? I can't tell the way John McCain uses him in every other question. It's typical "John McCain", his mannerism was very tensed.

Sen. McCain lacked clear judgement when it comes to SPECIFICS, he skirted around his answers by repeatedly "telling stories of the PAST".

I found Sen. Obama very cool, calm and collected. He spoke very confidently and gave very specific details about what HE WOULD DO as the next President. Sen. Obama looked at John McCain AND looked straight into the camera while talking to the American Voters.
    I THOUGHT Sen. Obama WON this debate HANDS DOWN!!!

September 26, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  3. JASON

MCLAME NEVER LOOKED OBAMA IN THE EYE EVEN WHEN THEY SHOOK HANDS!!

September 26, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  4. CM

I don't think McCain did himself any favors by not looking his opponent in the eye. It shows a lack of self confidence on his part.

September 26, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  5. Melonie

Is it any wonder they could have the place bugged? Think back to McCain's rehearsed answers during the Saddleback discussion.

September 26, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  6. badcyclist

I hope that Jim Lehrer goes back and looks at the tapes of the debate. If he does, he will see that he consistently allowed John McCain to have the last word in answering almost every question.

The main job of the moderator is to be fair. By letting one side consistently have the last word, Mr. Lehrer betrayed his trust and failed to do his job.

September 26, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  7. BNS

I see the usual inundation of pro-Obama/CNN drivel has already begun.

September 26, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  8. Thinking Voter

While I would not call myself a McCain fan i could not help but notice his experience vastly outshown Obama's oratory skill. The more I listed to Obama the more I realize he is a great speaker (with a script or extensive preparation) but lacks any serious experience. The best cut of the night to me was McCain's comment about the presidency not being the place for on the job training.

September 26, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  9. Independent in NC

I wasn't impressed by either one, it was pretty equal to me. McCain spoke too much about Iraq (and darn the luck, I was out of wine by the end of the debate so I missed the big POW part of my drinking game), and Obama seems in such a rush to hear his own voice that he bumbles – take a breah and figure it out before you speak, man!

I really missed Tim Russert tonight.

September 26, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  10. Jillian

McCain folowed up every answer with his days of glory as a veteran and/or P.O.W. I admire John McCain and his service to our country, but he is not the best choice to lead our country.
    OBAMA/BIDEN

September 26, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  11. ines

McCain looked stuck on the past. He was very condescending, and there were several instances where he actually lied. Christianne Amanpour and CNN footage just verified that Henry Kissinger did say that he would negotiate with countries such as Iran.

September 26, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  12. Sharon

9 times Time and time again. I agree with McCain. Wow Obama not an original thought. Does anyone have the stutter count for the night. At times I was not sure if he was a US Senator or a broken down car....AHAHAHAHAHA. I loved the way McCain got under smirky's skin. He looked visibly shaken when he greeted his bitter half after the debate. AHAHAHAHm,mmmmmmahaham stutter splutter....nothing

September 26, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  13. Tiff of lithia springs

This gut needs to stop whining.

September 26, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  14. John Baker

I never thought I'd learn anything from McCain, but tonight I found out that the North Koreans are three inches shorter than the South Koreans.

September 26, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  15. claudine donner

Way to go Obama! Very Presidential.

September 26, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  16. pam walker

McCain and Obama both did well i must say, but I'm still for Obama.
    He is the ticket for change and McCain, well lets just say...go back to your country club, private plane, and visit earth soon..

September 26, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  17. LT

I just have one thing to say.......
    Choosing Sarah Palin: It's not just naiive..........It's DANGEROUS

McCain is too reactionary for me. Why couldn't he give me a clear idea of what his plan is for anything.

the comments from these cnn commentators are rediculuos.

Obama delivered a TKO..........not hard to do though to someone who is unstable

September 26, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  18. D. Cummings

I think John Mc Cain was rude in the debate. He was on constant attacks with many lies. Now we get to hear how he won the debate. Politics is total crap!

September 26, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  19. jimbo

The old man handed him his as.

September 26, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  20. Lexie

I thought McCain looked like he'd been rehersed and had memorized part of his script. He also looked more and more confused at times.

September 26, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  21. Ted

This is what I heard McCain say during most of the debate: War! War here, war there, war everywhere!

September 26, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  22. Crispus

The fact is McCain came up short. He showed Obama can stand up and compete with him on foreign policy. Obama proved that he can grow in knowledge and lead this country.

September 26, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  23. Maureen

Its Kennedy beating Nixon all over again.

September 26, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  24. Mike in Seattle

Obama is a diplomat and he isn't going to disagree with someone just for the sake of dsagreeing with them. That is what McSame does. Obama will agree with the person even if s/he is of opposing view points. This is why he will be much more bipartisan than in the office of President than McSame will ever be. I hope the McCain campaign does run those ads, it will only help Obama.

September 26, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  25. BNS

You can tell the paid-by-Obama bloggers. Their image-driven comments ended with a personal attack on McCain have become ubiquitous.

September 26, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |