September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. james in florida

We have an old saying where I'm from.

YOUR BEAT; Johnny

Now Kick Bush's corrupt failing butt out of the white house.

September 27, 2008 04:37 am at 4:37 am |
  2. pdixon

Scary scary scary...I know people are going to try really hard to spin this is some way to make McCain seem like a good later, but frankly, the feedback I got from other people that watched the debate is that he is very scary, not in a good way. This man is so eager to go to war and so stubborn and set in his ways he will make our standing in the world even worse than Bush. Obama made some major points one of which is that a country that is economically weak appears weak defensively as well.

September 27, 2008 04:40 am at 4:40 am |
  3. Sharon - NC

Barack Obama demonstrated to the country tonight that he will provide effective, fresh, new leadership and can think outside the typical Washington box.

September 27, 2008 04:40 am at 4:40 am |
  4. Anonymous

After watching tonight I can say that I'm even more proud to be casting my vote for Barack.

September 27, 2008 04:41 am at 4:41 am |
  5. jordan bell

After watching tonight, I can honestly say that I'll be more than proud to vote for Barack.

September 27, 2008 04:42 am at 4:42 am |
  6. rhonimus

Yeah, Barack Obama knock it out of the park!

September 27, 2008 04:43 am at 4:43 am |
  7. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

McCain didn't stumble badly but he can be on the public stage one time without mentioning he was a POW.

What is really interesting is that conservatives are calling for Palin to resign for the good of the party – and probably saying privately, for the sake of the country.

With all his experience, with all the places McCain has been and the people he met, why choose a VP after just meeting her once??

September 27, 2008 04:43 am at 4:43 am |
  8. Leo Antony

John McCain came across very condescending, when he kept his rehearsed 'Obama doesn't understand...' sort of thing after each follow up question and never looked at Barack, while Barack did just the very opposite, giving credit when it should matter. Thats a sign that the americans should never vote for McCain. Barack was very presidential, showed john how an opponent should be engaged by looking into his/her eyes. McCain is best talking always about winning, a sure sign that he will be confrontational with other nations. That will be terrible for the USA, worse than G W Bush. What the USA needs in the next President is a healer, not a 'want to win the battle' minded guy. By the way what is this talk of winning a war in Iraq? Its an occupation under a false pretense/ lies of WMD. Is there such thing as a winning a war of occupation. Bush & McCain had just made Iran that much stronger now. It Americans are going to vote for McCain come Nov 4th, 2008, than only God can help the USA.

Ir Leo Antony

September 27, 2008 04:44 am at 4:44 am |
  9. Allen in Hartwell GA

I too, am proud to be a Southerner, an American, and a Barack Obama supporter.

September 27, 2008 04:46 am at 4:46 am |
  10. monty

McCain has a temper, and it showed in this debate..this is not presidential and shows contempt for anyone challenging him.....how is he suppose to negotiate with world leaders???

September 27, 2008 06:41 am at 6:41 am |
  11. MIDEM

Mr. McCains performance showed that hes is just a Bush clone. It really showed me that Mr. Obama is the best choice for president for our country.

September 27, 2008 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  12. FayeCT

McCain did a great job. Obama was rude and looked as if he was going to lose his cool a few times. Obama is NOT what I am looking for in the POTUS!

September 27, 2008 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  13. Elizabeth

I agree. McCain made my support for Obama even stronger.

September 27, 2008 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  14. Mike NC

We should have gotten Osama Bin Laden first. Iran was not a threat like the Bush administration led us to believe, and used General Colin Powell, who left the administration for this precise reason, THEY USED HIM! John (George) W. McBush is too old school, and his policies will get us into war again.

He thinks Obama does not understand, and Obama underscored and proved his case for the need for change. When we try to turn our back on countries who offend, we laugh at us. we do not have the respect of nations around the world like we used to, and have to regain the worlds respect by showing cool calm determined but forceful diplomacy. the bible says a soft (but firm answer) turns away wrath but grievous words stirs up strife. Obviously McMoney never heard this before.

I wonder what type of diplomacy Sarah Palin would use, lipstick? hunting rifle ala Dick Chaney? throw snowballs?, ride a sled over them? That Katie Couric interview was the saddest thing I ever saw. The only thing sadder is watching poor kids here in the United States and abroad drinking contaminated water and dumpster diving just to get something to eat. Sad sad sad sad sad.

September 27, 2008 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  15. Monika

Yes, me too. I don't want a leader who cannot even look his opponent in the eye. Even when he is addressing him. It was utterly desrespectful, and McCain came off as very arrogant.

September 27, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  16. nikki

yeah, i'm proud i'm voting for Barack!!

September 27, 2008 08:51 am at 8:51 am |