September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. FLDem

John McCain certainly made me feel better about my support for Barack Obama.

September 27, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  2. Bill

John made Barry look like a rookie......which he is. How many times did he have to admit that Senator McCain was right? I sure enjoyed that.

September 27, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  3. USAF Staff Sergeant

McCain was simply ignorant and on the verge of losing his temper half the night. He couldn't even look at Obama.

September 27, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  4. J UAN CARLOS

Y E S ,,,,,,,,,,S I R ,,,,,,,,,,,,O U R,,,,,,,,,,N E X T,,,,,,,C O M M A N D E R ,,,,,,,,,,

I N,,,,,,C H I E F,,,,,,,,Y O U ,,,,,,,,,,W E R E ,,,,,,,,,,, I N,,,,,,,,,C O N T RO L,,,,,,

O F ,,,,,,,, F A C T S,,,,,,,S H O WI N G,,,,,,,,E X T E N S I V E,,,,,,,,,,,

I 'M,,,,,,,,,,, R E A D Y,,,,,,,,,F O R ,,,,,,,T H E,,,,,,,,B I G,,,,,,,,L E A G U E S,,,,,,

September 27, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  5. david

John McCain looked petty, mean-spirited, and like a living time capsule of policy failures.

We need a statesman – not a mental patient.

September 27, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  6. Give me a break

Henry Kissinger has already come out and said Obama lied about Kissinger's position on Iran. Kissinger said "Senator McCain is right. I would not recommend the next President of the United States engage in talks with Iran at the Presidential level. My views on this issue are entirely compatible with the views of my friend Senator John McCain. We do not agree on everything, but we do agree that any negotiations with Iran must be geared to reality."

So CNN, you going to report this lie or cover it up?

September 27, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  7. McCain is too old

McCain looked like a senile grandfather...talking over others, angry, retelling old war stories, and making historical references most voters don't care to remember.

September 27, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  8. IAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIAI

O B A MA

L A C K

O F

M A T U R I T Y

A N D*************T E M P E R A M E N T

September 27, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  9. Jon

If you have to specifically name your vehicle the "Straight Talk Express" then it obviously is a misnomer: you're trying to create an image that may or may not be true.

Such names should be implied rather than expressed.

September 27, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  10. White Mother for Obama!!

He Failed Miserably... stop deleting my post CNN!!

September 27, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  11. TP - Dallas TX

i agree – if anyone, looks at mccain and thinks that he's stable to be president, they would also want my senile 90 year old grandfather as president.

September 27, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  12. average joe

******

yea mccain u were excellent tonight!!

(sarcasm)

September 27, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  13. Jack

JOHN, you can't make me proud with your constant lying!

September 27, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  14. WOWWOW

G-------R------E-------A--------–T

B---------------–U-----------T----–

N 0------K--–N----O--–C---–K---0--–U--T

September 27, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  15. Leah,Texas

McCain is pandering... I've been to Memphis and McCain is nothing like the people of Memphis...

September 27, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  16. ZILCHO

O
    B
    A
    M
    A

F
    L
    A
    T

September 27, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  17. Jackie From Michigan

he sure me feel better too about my support for Obama.

September 27, 2008 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  18. Kate Fergus

I felt immense pride in Obama. He handled himself really well – very presidential. McCain was an angry old man. The country doesn't need an angry old man to running it. He obviously had trouble reigning in his anger. I thought his temper might flair at any time. With such a volatile world, the country doesn't need an angry old man at the helm.

McCain prides himself on having been on all the committees in Washington over the years. Well, for someone who has been in Washington for 26 years, his record isn't as stellar as everyone thinks. Remember the Keating 5??

Obama clearly won this round.

September 27, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  19. MEP

Tonight John Mc Cain introduced his " sneer" campaign by not showing respect for Barack Obama ( not once looking at him) and being persistently overly sarcastic. Neither tactic worked well. These are the tactics of desperation.

September 27, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  20. arnold

September 27, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  21. NB

Yes. John McCain you made it clear that Obama is the one.
    It was a poor show from your part John. Can't wait for the VP debate.

September 27, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  22. Jackie From Michigan

he sure made me feel better too about my support for Obama.

September 27, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  23. Florida voter

This debate has solidified my November vote...I will voting for Senators Obama and Joe Biden.

September 27, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  24. PatriotPatrick

McCain spouted old talking points, old stories and sounded like a parrot...or actually like a male version of palin-rehearsed and inflexible. He also sounded anrgy, arrogant and very much non-presidential.

September 27, 2008 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  25. Tired of the Ignorant Comments & lashing from Obama supporters

Barack Obama certainly made me feel better about my support for John McCain.

September 27, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |