September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. stephen .E

you sure did ... you made us proud to vote for obama

September 27, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  2. Indiana

John McCain made America proud. Woe to this country if he is not the next President according to the performances in the debate.

September 27, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  3. deb

Byron Dorgan from ND makes more sense than anyone I've head speak of the economy. Congress and The Senate, must listen to him,

September 27, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  4. d mann

WOW.....just when you would think the Republicans can't stoop any lower than George W Bush....in comes the "Maverick" (so called).

September 27, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  5. Alexander

Wow, what a performance today, I would rate Barack an A+ for his performance, and I would rate McCain an A+ for his honesty and openess. It is time for everyone to open their eyes, and stop being blind followers of empty promises. Look at the experience and the track record. And no, I am not talking about Barack...someone needs to tell him the Empreror has not clothes.

September 27, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  6. My Common Sense Actually Works

Grandpa Mccain entertained me with tales, epics and fables but didn't exactly told me that the Big Bad Wolf can actually eat you alive.....

September 27, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  7. Vikk

Obama made me proud for sure.

September 27, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  8. Irony

You showed me exactly who is qualified. You talked the talking points, now you should walk away.

Obama Biden 08

September 27, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  9. VA baby...

With all that talk about force force force, I am certainly still for Barack Obama, he was calm, cool, and confident. He is for the American people and you can see that.

Vote for the man with one house because he cares about losing his house.

September 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  10. ann

obama is a better speaker than Mc Cain. But says nothing that I can agree with. Mc Cain knows how to lead. And will get my vote.

September 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  11. An American

You could not make the day 1. It was Mr. Obama who was in the need of the situation with having any preconditions. He will make USA back to normal. It is not you.

September 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  12. Nija

McCain is a very bitter man and that was why he could not look Obama in the eyes.

September 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  13. VETS4Obama

John McCain clearly made my choice for Obama feel sound. What a poor performance from grumpy McSame

September 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  14. Ronnie

McCain was so condenciding to Obama McCain clearly lost the debate.You can not talk to another candidate in that manner and come off as a winner! Who taught him manners in the first place?I realise he is from another era when the dinosaurs roamed free but really how creepy did McCain come off?

September 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  15. Kelly

Barack Obama certainly made me feel better about my support for John McCain.

September 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  16. An American in Atlanta

Barack Obama helped me make up my mind this evening. He was wonderful. I am voting straight republican! NEXT!

September 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  17. Swank

John McCain was solid tonight. My confidence in his experience and judgement has increased significantly! Eloquence is not a replacement for experience and sound, rational approach to resolutions on the economy and national security.

September 27, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  18. President Obama

He made me feel better about supporting Barack Obama too. He said he would freeze all federal spending except military budget. He is a war monger.

September 27, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  19. rk

couldn't have said it better, FL Dem.

September 27, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  20. Chris

Sen. McCain bases his entire Iraq argument on the 'success' of the surge, without any mention that direct diplomacy with the warring tribes began the reconciliation long before the surge was instituted. He also leaves out that Baghdad is literally, physically segregated by barriers based on faction locations. Of course it's fragile. Decades of pent up aggression does not go away because we Americans are there. Yes, the surge provided additional security at the end of the process, but it is not the sole reason of 'winning' McCain pushes on us.

September 27, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  21. FLInd

You made me proud McCain. You have my vote.

September 27, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  22. McCain

What was so clearly evident tonight was that John McCain is still stuck in the past and is not ready to move forward. His condescending comments and the fact that he couldn't even look Obama in the eye showed me that he would treat leaders in other countries the same way if they didn't agree with him.

September 27, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  23. J.L. Yuma

John McCain showed he had much more experience than Obama in foreign policy.

September 27, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  24. darren

McCain reminds me of those scammers who email your trying to rip you off, the first thing they say is, Hi my friend, greetings my friend lol....thats when you know theyre trying to get your money....see the parallel? every 2 words is my friends lol no im not your friend McCain....

September 27, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |