September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. LEH

I hope he talks up reform and change in the next debates. I think that's what put him on top after the Republican convention. He should emphasize that he is capable of changing the situation in Washington, and the lives of ordinary folks.

I honestly thought it was a draw. But it didn't help that he may have sounded condescending–regardless of the fact that Senator Obama deserved it. He is all talk and all about inaction...

September 27, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  2. Anonymous

I was not certain about supporting Sen. Obama for the Presidency...until the debate tonight. He convinced me that he is ready for it. In fairness to Sen. McCain whom I used to admire before he played footsies with President Bush, Sen. McCain's performance helped me firm up that conclusion.

September 27, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  3. Plato

Come on john, this wasn't a beauty pageant. It was a chance to inform America about your policies and you came out looking like a time-warp-trapped condescending warmonger

September 27, 2008 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  4. Heather, Cleveland, OH

John McCain,
    With your misrepresentations about Obama's stances on foreign and economic policy (i.e., "Barack Obama doesn't 'understand' foreign relations because he wants diplomacy" and "Barack Obama is going to raise your taxes."), you, sir, certainly made me sick tonight.

Well done, you lying, dried-out turd!

September 27, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  5. JORGE

i can agree w/ that. i have never seen a debate where one doesnt face or talk directlyu to his opponet. Looks like McCain didnt feel comfortable at all, and you could see McCain was frustrated and making faces. We also saw that McCain didnt let Obama respond when he was making these claims, Obama did a good job by not letting it get to him and didnt do anything to lower his standards. McCain didnt win the Debate, nor Did Obama but from my opinion Obama did a better job.

September 27, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  6. Lorraine Gomez

I was very disappointed with McCain not ever looking at Obama when

September 27, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  7. Lisa

I felt McCain was condescending towards Senator Obama. We don't need another Bush in office. He was disrespectful.
    Sure he has more "experience" then Barack Obama, he's lived 24 more years than Obama!!!

September 27, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  8. ljezard

Heck, just this morning McCain didn't give a rats-hat about all the trouble he was causing the folks in Oxford. Now he loves them all.

Thank you, thank you John for making me so proud of Obama!

September 27, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  9. confident in south carolina

If that is the best that senator mccain can do, then congratulations....President Obama!

September 27, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  10. RJ

Obama plus on facts, reasoning, calm, Presidential, commander-in-chief, foreign policy, vision and respectful

Minus on too much agreement with McCain and missed oppurtunity on spending issue.

McCain plus on recovering some ground from severe bleeding in the past 2 weeks.

Minus on facts, grumpy, disrespectful, twisting Obama's words, lack of vision and out of touch on Iraq. Doesn't seem to be that experienced on foreign policy issues. Definetly not Presidential.

September 27, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  11. adm

No you did not. You behavior said it all. Not presidential.

September 27, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  12. Hailey

John McCain did an excellent job tonight speaking with pride of his country, confidence for the future, and courage to accomplish whatever it takes. He hands down shined when speaking of the foreign politics and conflicts with Iran, Pakistan, Russia, Iraq and Afhganistan. McCain is able to give real life examples. He could name every foreign leader when discussing his stance. He was able to prove that his experience, seniority, and leadership are separate from that of Bush. Obama carried himself well and I thought came out on top within the healthcare and tax discussions. However his lack of understanding and experience for foreign issues, politics and leadership are clear to see. Both men are couragious as this is a tough fight to lead this country.

September 27, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  13. Lewis Bearow

I was unsure just who I would vote for until tonight. It was very clear during the debate who most cares about America and who will keep Americans first! Not Barack Obama, he came up short on the main skills needed to become America's next leader. Our next leader must have the skill-sets and experiences needed to not only understand the many real-world dangers that exist today, but how and when actions are required to keep Americans safe. After all, our safety and freedom is what makes America strong, what many countries desire and what some countries fear because they know Americans will do what ever it takes to protect the safety and freedom we enjoy. I will vote for John McCain and share these thoughts with everyone I can.

September 27, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  14. haas

You had me at Hello. Although I support Obama, I could have seen a McCain administration...that is, before he chose Palin for VP. With McCain's age and her possibly being the President, I am very concerned with the path this country is going down.
    I have a 2 year old daughter and I am seriously concerned for her future.

September 27, 2008 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  15. Paris

John McCain you are the leader America needs.

Your integrity, your conviction, your Principals and your Love for America is what I am voting for.

September 27, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  16. Bob

John McCain made me feel proud tonight... proud to be an American... proud to be a free thinker... and proud to support Barack Obama. Thanks John, you maverick you.

September 27, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  17. John Smith

It bears repeating:
    Yes, Senator- thank you for making me proud of the 20's. But you offered nothing about the 21st century and beyond! Here, I learned alot from Obama, not you. Thank you for confirming my decision about voting for Obama as the next President that will move this nation forward!

Obama won this debate, in every way possible; just look up the post-debate polls!

September 27, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  18. ken mesle

I cannot believe that John McCain regrets not supporting Osama Bin Laden since the 1970’s. Bin Laden was a freedom fighter in Afghanistan against the Russians. John McCain stated in the debate tonight, that we never should have stopped supporting these religious zealots. Today we call these "freedom fighters" jihadist. We supported them then because their enemy was our enemy. I wonder if the Russians considered the jihadists terrorists for the same reasons John McCain considers them today… and if he considers them terrorists today, why would he regret the fact that we aren’t supporting them anymore? John McCain just doesn’t get it. You have to know a little history… You have to know that the Shia and Sunni have a long history of violence towards each other. You can’t make decisions based on your gut without doing the necessary, thoughtful research and analytical thinking. It appears that McCain is unable or unwilling to do either.

September 27, 2008 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  19. Leaning left

Honestly, I think McCain won this debate but I don't think it was so over whelming that it would change my vote. I need to see more debates before I finalize my decision.

September 27, 2008 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  20. vince

Yes, John McCain, you've made me very proud to be a Barack Obama supporter.

The old man couldn't even look Obama. His barrage of war stories and constant name dropping was hilarious!

September 27, 2008 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  21. Steve

Obama is the real Leader based on the his performance in this debate .
    Steve,
    Canada.

September 27, 2008 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  22. Swing vote

Stop cryng NOBAMA. wah! wah! wah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 27, 2008 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  23. Ky Republican

I thought McCain did an excellent job of demonstrating why he, and not Obama, is qualified to be the next president. It was refreshing to watch Obama's ivory tower smugness brought down a notch by McCain, and his extensive experience.

September 27, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  24. Lorraine Gomez

I was extremely disappointed with McCain's never responding to Obama while looking at him. This was very disrespectful of a fellow human being. What is McCain afraid of? A real man looks another in the eye when speaking to him. Very disappointed with you McCain. You helped me make up my mind tonight and it will be OBAMA!!!
    Thanks for trying......but I lost alot of respect for you you are just like Bush except disrecpectful and condecending.
    Lorraine Gomez

September 27, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  25. Campbell

McCain did a great job tonight putting Obama on the defensive. McCain wiped the floor with Obama on foreign policy. Obama is a great speaker, but that's were it ends. First debate goes to McCain.

September 27, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |