September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. KC

It's all over for my man, John McCain...I mean, if he was unable to trample Obama in foreign policy debate where he should clearly have an edge, how then is he going to debate him on economic issues where he (McCain) admittedly said he is clueless. He might as well declare defeat and either go back to the senate or retire to one of many homes.

His running mate, Sarah Palin is not helping matters either. I mean, this woman has been such a disappointment and bloody embarrasment. I wonder how she made it to governorship in Alaska. Oh, bye the way, I am a die-hard republican but I may either grudgingly vote for Obama or stay home come Nov. 2.

September 27, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  2. Republican for change

To be fair, I thought McCain was good. He showed a great deal of foreign policy experience. (especially towards the end of the debate)

That said, I STILL think Obama offers superior judgement - on Iraq and other issues that will be important for our national security. McCain shoots from the hip and prefers to clean the problems afterwards.

McCain is reckless and stubborn.

September 27, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  3. DB

You certainly made me proud, Senator McCain. You are a man who knows who he is, what he believes, and where he wants to lead this nation.

Senator Obama votes "present" on all three.

September 27, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  4. Artist for Obama

My vote is now solidified for Obama. I doubt we'll see Texas turn blue, but there still is over a month to go. McCain should have made other points than what I've heard him say on his stump speeches and at the convention.

Undecided. Decided. Obama.

September 27, 2008 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  5. Mary from CT

I'm glad McCain waxed so happy after the debate tonight. Poor guy ... he needs a little sense of euphoria before his whole candidacy finally implodes on him. I don't begrudge him his mistaken felicity.
    Let him smile while he still can ... he'll find out the awful truth soon enough.

Can't wait, tho, until he HAS to look Barack Obama in the eye and call him "Mr. PRESIDENT!" Oh, happy day!

As for Barack Obama ... go get 'im, Tiger! You constantly prove to me that nice guys CAN finish first!

Baci* e amore,
    Mary ;)

September 27, 2008 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  6. Mark

McCain made me very proud because I don't support him. Don't know who could.

September 27, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  7. J. McKinney

I think McCain did well on the debate. He strengthened my support for him–I know who I will be voting for this election. I was a Hillary supporter, but with her out, I feel McCain is our next best choice.

September 27, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  8. Joyce Moon

Sen. Obama has informed we, the people of all the debts that we have occur because of Bush's adm.
    McCain does not understand!!!!!!

September 27, 2008 01:42 am at 1:42 am |
  9. April Garlow

McCain was great, he answered the questions,he looked confident and in charge.
    Obama lost this one. Obama looked childish, inconsiderate, rude and lacking in knowledge about how to behave during a debate.The faces he made were like those of a school boy being scolded by the teacher.He couldn't remember John McCain's name or the name of the soldier who's mother had given him the bracelet.He gave no specifics about anything–just stuck to his dog-eared script. If you've seen Obama once you've seen it before.

September 27, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  10. Independent

TWS Exclusive: Kissinger Unhappy About Obama

Henry Kissinger believes Barack Obama misstated his views on diplomacy with US adversaries and is not happy about being mischaracterized. He says: "Senator McCain is right. I would not recommend the next President of the United States engage in talks with Iran at the Presidential level. My views on this issue are entirely compatible with the views of my friend Senator John McCain. We do not agree on everything, but we do agree that any negotiations with Iran must be geared to reality."

September 27, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  11. James McReavey

Obama had a better big picture grasp of issues, and their likely implications in the 21st Century. McCain was holding on to tired, threadbare positions of the past, but he did have some funny one-liners; "I looked into (Putin's) and saw three letters KGB".

September 27, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  12. Barbara - Atlanta

Not me...probably made Senator Obama pretty happy tonight.

September 27, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  13. Generation X

What a fool John McCain is and he didn't answer any of the questions. He is always referring to the war at all points, even if the questions has nothing to do with war. What a joke!!! Go Obama!!!

September 27, 2008 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  14. PAILIN IS COMEDY GOLD

Thank you John McCain for choosing Pailin as your VP. I have been laughing more in the past 2 weeks than I have in the past 10 years. I will miss the whole train wreck debacle once Obama is elected President of the United States of America.

P.S. Keep eating your fiber.

September 27, 2008 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  15. AOA

The choice is clear...if the past is what appeals to you, by all means vote for McCain with al my blessings! If he future is what appeals to you, you have no choice but vote for Obama....if you can get past the fact that he's black that is....otherwise McCain is your guy! Safe elections you all!

September 27, 2008 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  16. Steve

After watching the debate, I was not swayed one way or the other. Either candidate will make a better president then the one we have in office now.

September 27, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  17. Pam

McCain just looked like an angry old man. Not someone that I want sitting down with world leaders! Barack Obama did a wonderful job. He is firm where necessary and clear on principles and objectives and strategy. John McCain couldn't even glance at Obama much less look at him. Rather childish don't you think?

My vote goes for Obama!

September 27, 2008 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  18. Honesty

Yes, Senator McCain, you did.
    You were Presidential, direct, and unambiguos. Gave answers and did not dance around things. Even BO agreed with you in several issues.

CNN ought to be ashamed of all the pro-Obama commentators they have. None show objectivity, even the Republican ones (only two Castellanos and Sanchez....hardly offering ANY balance) have been affected by the company of Donna Bazile, Gergen, Borges, Begala. They all saying innacurate things about McCain and stating there were no sound bites.
    "BO does not understand, BO does not get it......He is not naive......He is dangerous."

How about Obama calling McCain not only John but Tom ?????

Lets see if CNN posts this......doubt it.

September 27, 2008 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  19. BlackMan4Mac

Well it apears to me o-bambi is still talking in circles. Like he has always done.

September 27, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  20. Dace Tucson, AZ

As a resident of your state Senator McCain you filled me with shame with your harsh nasty attacks and even refusal of basic human decency to look at your opponent. This clearly shows you agree with fully and will continue the Bush bully and intimidate foreign policy refusing to negotiate and endanger our great nation through financial collapse due to your love of war – even a wrong war. SHAME ON YOU! I am voting Obama after tonight.

September 27, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  21. Just saying...

McCain has a really creepy smile...

He needs to work on that... :-D

September 27, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  22. alexa

I'm a bit of an undecided voter, but I think I'll go Republican. McCain is more down to earth and his talk is straight.

September 27, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  23. Disappointed

No, John, you didn't make me proud. I appreciate your POW experience but I really have a hard time listening to you use it to get votes. This election isn't about your POW experience, it's about who I want to be my president.

I was on the sidelines here. Undecided. I will wait to make my final judgement after the VP (really scaring me) and the next presidential debates.

What tonight has shown me is that you have a temper, that Obama has knowledge on foreign policy too and that it seems to me Obama cares more about me paying $4.00 a gallon for gas than you do.

I really didn't know your mother was an oil heiress until 20/20 tonight. Money has always been with you it seems. Explain to me how a person who has never been without money can understand what it feels like? Your 7 or 8 houses and 13 to 15 cars almost had me. But now, with Palin the illiterate and your giving rich more money has pretty much done it for me. I'm sorry, you are a hero, but I can't vote for you.

September 27, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  24. '08 Vote Obama

Obama Rocked!

I would also like to interject that if McCain is aiming towards transparency if elected as our President then why did he not tell all of us (Americans) that there was no Republican elder that would be at the Economical Bailout and that was why he flew back to Washington? Instead he put everyone into a tail spin because we did not understand his decision. This tells me that he was making a political attempt to throw the entire debate and the polls to slant his direction because he KNEW he was loosing ground....

Obama was deliberate, precise and was very Presidential in the debate – he gave Americans confidence….

September 27, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  25. Mike

Agreed on feeling better about supporting Obama...Umm...Does McCain talk about anything other than Iraq??? And his buddy Petraeus??? ho cares if I spelled his name right or not...Memo to McCain...Just because you suggest that someone doesn't understand or that they don't know what they're talking about doesn't make it a fact.....Just makes YOU look stupid!!!

September 27, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |