September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Chris from NY

It's either McCain has a desdian for Obama or he hates black people. He couldn't even bring himself to look Obama in the face. What a guy. The only he had going for him was POW and stories about the past but no solution for the future.

September 27, 2008 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  2. KO

McCain came across as a complete jerk tonight. He was incredibly condescending, never even looking at Obama or engaging with him. Obama, on the other hand, kept looking at McCain, addressed him directly, agreed with him at times. He was not only much more gracious, but much more presidential. McCain came off like an irritable old man.

September 27, 2008 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  3. Tracy

You came off as a hot-headed blow-hard, who can't let go of the past. Granted, knowing foreign policy is important, and no one can't say that BOTH knew a lot about our enemies. But Mr. Obama's policy is the only one that makes sense. You Republicans always spout off about Reagan as your hero, but are completey missing out on being part of Reagan's legacy. He TALKED to our enemies. He had wonderful, but not perfect, foreign diplomacy. No one dies when you talk out your differences. Yes, there are a lot of huffing and puffing about who's right and who's wrong, but in the (PEACEFUL) end, there is a comprimise most can live with. What's wrong with that???

September 27, 2008 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  4. Amy

I couldn't say it better myself FL Dem!

I thought McCain came across as petty and angry...not exactly presidential qualities.

September 27, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  5. Independentandlovingit

I thought Obama won hands down.
    What I’ve found most interesting over the whole course of the Election season Primaries included, is how truly lazy the American public is when it comes to our government. 20 out of the last 28 Years we’ve had a Republican President and 14 out of the last 16 Years, the Republicans have controlled the Congress, even now people think the Democrats control the Senate, but it’s 49 – 49 with 2 Independents that lean toward the DEMS, but no where close enough to overturn a Presidential Veto! Plus People talk about Experience as an Issue, and I have to say President Lincoln had less than Obama and Our Founding Fathers had less than Obama and between them we Formed a Nation and survived a Civil War, It was their Vision and Inspirational Leadership that did it, as Most Good Presidents do!
    People just want to be fed the information not do their own research, very sad, but very true

September 27, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  6. Evil Overlord

In another post to this site (re McCain's voting record v Bush), the article says "In 1995, McCain voted with Bush 77 percent of the time". I'd be interested in how he managed that. Or was he voting in Texas?

September 27, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  7. Hope

Thanks McCain how well you made all Americans feel to know that you will freeze government spending, and noone will be able to send their children to college! More money to the Bush/McCain War Machine while the country falls further behind China! But what more can I expect from a man out of 899 people graduated 894 you dumb...this mean you never cracked a book!!!!!!!!! How disgraceful this is why you have no value for education. Not to mention you graduated becuase of who your father was God bless him! Trickle down economics old man doesn't work! The greedy bast.... who control these Corporation who you give tax breaks, and provide tax loop holes pocket profits and outsource jobs. Oh should we just mention Wall Street! no regulation Thanks John for that great idea! experience my..... One more mention of Reagan and I'll just throw up! The man was no saint! one more reminder how you are living in the past! News flash there are a lot of people who suffered under Reagan Adminstration or how would you know with seven houses, and 13 cars. Please spare me the ignorant comments how wonderful McCain vs Obama comments. To vote for McCain/Palin is insane. Even it you are well off is still insane! You don't have to be an Obama supporter to look at the facts!

September 27, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  8. ONEIL

No McCain!! You didn't make me proud. You actually messed up everything. Obama pushed you towards the Walls and nailed you very well. I'm sorry about that but i think you need to recheck your Facts. You say Change but there is no change in your foreign policies

September 27, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  9. CJ

McCain made me think. Despite CNN's coverage with the partisan panel and the "OBAMA" panel (please that panel with Campbell is all pro OBAMA....), I felt McCain had the most substance, facts, specifics and ideas...... Obama had a sermon. I'll hear that on Sunday, feel good till Monday morning and then all but forget about it.
    McCain, you the man. You made me proud.

September 27, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  10. Esther

I can see CNN already jumping overboard that the debate was even...yeah right! Sometimes I wonder if all the CNN contributors back Obama because their views are always leaning on one on-side. I though that the work of a "Contributor" is to give his/her views on both candidates fairly...that is something that has lost in this Election. They always find something negative to talk about McCain and yet not say anything about Obama. The media caverage is written Obama all over it but Americans know who will be the next president of the USA. In this debate, I clearly think both candidates had good points except for Obama had no tangiable experience to back up his points. It was like looking at a student getting a lecture from his univerisity professor! At one point, Democrats must admit that one thing the media can't take away from McCain is "Experience". The whole McCain-Bush link is getting old and this might be the right tym to change the tactics. Most Americans don't believe that these two men are the same and that's why Obama can't seem to close the deal! The bottom line, McCain WON this debate and that will reflect on the polls if CNN can actually find the decency to poll fairly on both sides.

McCain/Palin 08

September 27, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  11. Leah

I agree FLD, I'm an Independent whose vote has solidified for Obama....

September 27, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  12. Julia in South Carolina

I am more certain than ever that I am making the right choice in voting for Obama.

September 27, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  13. Joseph

McCain is Horrible, Obama won the debate without a doubt. Can't wait to see Biden eat Palin alive.

September 27, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  14. PRH

Just as I thought, Obama is an empty suit. No way he could be in charge of anything more complicated than maybe an elevator in Chicago.

He was 90 minutes of platitudes and liberal dogma that has failed for the past 50 years. His ideas are the regurgitated Soros, move-on.org crap that came from Hubert Humphrey to Jimmy Carter, to Gore, Kerry and now Obama.

did not include Clinton as he is really less liberal than the others and would not like to be included with such a group of losers.

These goons just parade Obama around like a rock star and don't understand they will not win an election just by repeating liar, liar. They don't want any details exposed and truly get angry as they feel like it is a moral imparative for them to win.....just cause they have lost so many times.

They resort to race, try to make voters feel guilty and/or racist if they don't support the empty suit. He is affirmative action's shining star, but not equipped to be President.

Once again, liberals lose in the arena of ideas that are American in nature....Obama would be perfect in Germany or France.

September 27, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  15. Barney

I agree with FLDem

No Way No How No McCain and definitely No Ms Alaska

September 27, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  16. TKW-New Mexico

I felt really proud McBush. I felt proud to support Barack for President. The sideshow continues.

September 27, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  17. Tammy farr

We have less than forty days until the election. Senator Obama haeld his own against Senator McCaine. Its time for a change. Vote for Obama.

September 27, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  18. ron althoff

while it may be a fact that mccain agreed with bush a high percentage of the time, your article would have been more meaningful, and therefore appear less biased, if you had given details about the times when mccain did not agree with bush. of course, given your proclivity to be biased, i can understand your reluctance to share that information.

September 27, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  19. Independent FL voter

Well, he didn't implode. Maybe that's a victory. What a great day for America.

September 27, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  20. ian@zther.com

I might have to replay the debate to see if he made a point or not all night. John couldn't have dumbed it down more. What scares me is that Bush did the same thing – and won.

September 27, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  21. CarolO MI

I am very proud.........that I am voting for Obama.

September 27, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  22. TruthBeTold

John McCain owned obama...and i dont even like mccain...and its funny to watch the media try to act like Obama held his own...and IMO...i think alot of liberals including the media knew john mccain would own obama at this foreign policy debate so they made the candidates talk about the economy for a while so their messiah obama could try and sound right about somethin...theres a debate for the economy...they couldve waited until then to talk about their plans.

September 27, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  23. Lee from FL

John you made me know that you are tough and always ready for a fight.
    But Mr.McCain this country is not ready for another fight.
    Its clear Obama is better at the economy than you are,so there is where my vote is doing.

September 27, 2008 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  24. canadian

the 1 thing that made me wonder is when mcain mention something along the lines of "league of democracies", sorry but it was something like that. is that to replace nato? don't you think then there would be a new warsaw pact??? russia..china..venezuala..north korea..ect.

can anyone say WORLD WAR 3???

September 27, 2008 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  25. Angelina

not sure I understand the rules, one was respectful to the older one, acknowledging when he thought his opponent was right, yet that was considered a weakness....the other "just made up stuff" and was gruff while saying it, and that is considered a winning point...the whole thing eludes me.

September 27, 2008 01:59 am at 1:59 am |