September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Sheila

McCain started off in the muck: he invoked Ted Kennedy in the most egregious and blatantly canny attempt to drag the viewers by the heart into his camp.

McCain went on to like a kicked dog through the rest of the debate, fearful of ever looking Obama in the face, even as Obama directed his comments straight at him. Never once did McCain direct a comment at Obama.

In every question, McCain seemed to get more flustered, and was even making sniffing sounds like he was ill near the end of the debate. Obama's demeanor was always prim, calm, and intelligent. McCain's was confused, ill-equipped, and angry.

Barack Obama won the first debate handily.

September 27, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  2. Speider

“Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

Why is it he always refers to the post in military terms? Hillary also did this, but Obama, Ron Paul and other candidates have always used the term "President."

If McCain is elected, expect war to rage and the draft to suck in our young people. Then republicans, mourning their children, can explain to me why they made the right choice.

September 27, 2008 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  3. Jessica

Ok, I have made my decision, I will NOT be voting for McCain, final! I saw an educated leader in the debate and that was Obama. I did not see a leader in McCain at all.. but someone with ADD. It reminded me of bush actually in a way.

September 27, 2008 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  4. Andrea

I thought perhaps I would hear McCain speak of this new change that has overcome his campaign. All I heard was him defending his Bush like ways. I guess apple trees still grow the same old apples.

September 27, 2008 02:26 am at 2:26 am |
  5. Corwin7

Actually, he didn't do nearly as bad as I thought he might. Not that this fact and the solid and complete freezing of the entirety of hell would convince me to vote this man into office even if god himself bowed down and begged me...but still.

September 27, 2008 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  6. Chicago for Obama

I second that FLDem. McC

McCain may know a lot bout the past, but certainly not enough about how to lead us into the future.

September 27, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  7. Mason-Dixon

John McCain, the next President of the United States of America, made me very proud. !!!!!

September 27, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  8. Roy P

He told the truth. He refuses to cut the baby in half to get ahead. I am Very Proud. It is time for the media to get back to the truth.

The Public News reported as slanted academic opinions and editorials lacking truth and fact and masking their agendas threaten the very constitutional amendment to the constitution for which my fellow soldiers fought. Sensationalized news reporting without complete fact and truth is a subversive social suicide. It will destroy the very freedom we cherish.

September 27, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  9. Cole

He didn't make me feel anything. I went into this one knowing that Sen. Obama would do well, and he did that. McCain, you are in trouble. And Palin........I feel sorry for you.

September 27, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  10. Kristen atl, GA

Umm....yeah more secure that this country will take the right direction and vote for Obama.

Did you notice Senator Mccain couldnt even look President Obama in the eye? Pure disrespect and i was offended.

September 27, 2008 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  11. Pat Beals

I am scared for McCain. He's scaring me.. He's looking and acting SO OLD!! He looks backward, his comments always go backward. This election is about the future. John McCain: You need to look forward. We're waiting for leadership as it addresses our future.

September 27, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  12. Corwin7

P. S. Can't wait to see Biden thoroughly destroy "Don't meet the press" Palin next week:)

September 27, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  13. Jaroslav Suchanek

All that arguying and talking and talking around and around after this explanation and proove is just waisted time af stuborn arguying with not logic, based only on sen.Mc Cain "CONVICTION ..HE IS RIGHT AND THE OPPONENT IS WRONG...!
    THE COMMON SENSE – LOGIC of Sen Obama is the thru...!

September 27, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  14. Pepsi

If he can't look Barack Obama in the eyes when he talks to him he will never be able to be have an intellegent conversation with anyone. He showed little to no respect to Barack or to the Jim Lehrer. McCain is someone I do not want to represent me or my country. As I do not want Sarah Palin to represent me either. And by the way where is his flag pin on the lapel? His trip back to Washington.....another political stunt.

September 27, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  15. Angel

as always, I am sure this will not be posted because as always, CNN is ALWAYS for Obama!!!!!! I am so sick of cnn! CNN sees only that whatever McCain says is wrong and their great muslin did nothing wrong! Sorry, CNN because of YOU I WILL NOT VOTE for this man you think is so perfect! McCain gets my vote and I think you should be taken off the air!!!!!!!

September 27, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  16. Winkzilla

What McCain mostly did during this debate was make simple declaratory statements. It was frustrating to listen to him talk, as I waited for something more than these simple declarations. I will do this and I will do that, the end. Anybody can say anything. He was flat on substance. He was condescending with his "he doesn’t know" statements. I kept thinking, this guy said our economy is strong, that the Iraq invasion was more important that taking care of business in Afghanistan and Al Qaeda, and there he was telling everyone else they are not the superior genius he is. The corker was when he tried to paint Obama as being arrogant like Bush. Man, that was so rich my teeth almost flew out of my mouth.

He came off like an arrogant old man. We have had 8 years of arrogance. We do not need 4 more. He did not make me proud.

September 27, 2008 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  17. Hillary for McCane

Senator McCane did just fine. Senator McCanes' TWENTY-SIX years experience in congress, His depth of knowledge in foreign affairs, his intricate understanding of historical foreign relationships, his personal experience in military and staring down death/being tortured and the profound impact to his life and his life's mission makes it irrefutable that He is Ready to Serve As A Defender of America, and the President of the United States of America.

McCane 2008 and beyond

September 27, 2008 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  18. chris Obama08

John McCain i see why you wanted to called off the debate. And for your VP pick Sarah Palin are you feeling the heat.

winning team. OBAMA/BIDEN 08

September 27, 2008 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  19. Not a fan of the 'Cuda

If John MCCain cannot engage his Democratic rival without sophomoric smirks and misplaced laugh lines, why should I have any confidence in his ability to respectfully transact diplomacy abroad with Chair Jintao or President Medvdev, much less deal with Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Reid when they oppose his view of American policy?

September 27, 2008 02:34 am at 2:34 am |
  20. Adrienne

If McCain had kept the same nice tone he made his first remark with he could have won the debate. But, Mccain got kind of crazed. He made faces and would not look Obama in the eye. He kept his head down and made creepy smiles and did the snake tongue flicking thing that Kerry did that grossed me put so much in 2004. Yuck. old and creepy and mean spirited. He is no Ronald Reagan, at all. McCain seems too moody and kind of scary to me. I did not vote for Kerry because he creeped me out and I can't vote for Mccain for the same reason plus he seems unstable to me. Obama seems more like Reagan to me. A good leader even if i do not 100% agree with him on some issues... which I don't.

September 27, 2008 02:34 am at 2:34 am |
  21. Lois

Senator McCain surely renewed my support for Senator Obama.

September 27, 2008 02:34 am at 2:34 am |
  22. jon

If you believe Obamas generalities, McCain is not your man.

If you think for yourself, have a job and don't live on student loans, McCain is awesome.

McCain Republican- I've always voted Democrat but I'm excited to have McCain.

September 27, 2008 02:34 am at 2:34 am |
  23. Dawgfather

Obama has a lot of honey on his tongue which makes sense because he needs it to backtrack on what he's said previously. All talk, no walk. He's for change alright. He changes positions regularly depending on who he's speaking to.

September 27, 2008 02:34 am at 2:34 am |
  24. Elaine

McCain talked to much about the 26years he had been in Washington and to much about Reagan. This is not the 80's and Reagan is not the president. I thought he was arragont and condsending when he kept telling Obama that he just didn't understand. Obama understood foreign relations better than I thought he would. I liked it when he said McCain was right and then went on to state his views. I think it showed respect to John McCain, it's to bad McCain couldn't do the same. I think Obama came out better than McCain.

September 27, 2008 02:35 am at 2:35 am |