September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. A concept no one is talking about?

Obama ROCKED!

I would also like to interject that if McCain is aiming towards transparency if elected as our President then why did he not tell all of us (Americans) that there was no Republican elder that would be at the Economical Bailout and that was why he flew back to Washington? Instead he put everyone into a tail spin because we did not understand his position. This tells me that he was making a political attempt to throw the entire debate and the polls to slant his direction because he KNEW he was loosing ground....

Obama was deliberate, precise and was very Presidential – he gave Americans confidence during the debate….

September 27, 2008 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  2. bornwell

the debate sure made it clear to me who represents the future and the aspirations of main street

September 27, 2008 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  3. John

I disagree. I am undecided but it seems McCain clearly is much more knowledgable in foreign affairs. I was leaning toward Obama because of the fact he is a breath of fresh air in politics but McCain is without doubt a patriot, Obviously will back the veterans based on his background. Obama's Idea of national healthcare is scary in my opinion since ANY program run by the federal government is always a extreme waste of time and money due to red tape. I work for a company that was recently taken over by the huge corporation that does mostly federal goverment work and now we spend at least 25% of out time wasted reading company guidelines so they can qualify for the government work. Also, we are threatened on a daily basis that we will be terminated if we do not follow thier rediculous amount of red tape rules, thus is why I will be on a job interview this week looking to work elsewhere. It is amazing how much they have tried to control our lives both in the office and at home too. When you hear about corporate takeovers it is disheartening but when you work for the company that has been taken over it becomes clear that the federal government just does not protect or care one bit about the american workers. Also this company which does government work sends much work overseas (not sure if it government work they send there) as they claim they cannot find the engineers they need in this country, yet in our office since they have taken over engineers have been layed off and it is just the start of the layoffs. it is all fake, all a lie and I will never work for a company that does federal work again.

September 27, 2008 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  4. Ronald

Yeah this is a great fluff news piece! Debate was simple McCain advocated for the failed Bush policies and Obama advocated for a new course. Glad he talked to supporters and all and CNN feels the need to report it but I was really dissapointed tonight. McCain was disrespectful and just flat stupid through out the debate. If McCain want's my vote he first needs to proove to me he can look Obama in the eyes and spar with him over present and future decisions. I get that he has past experience but running on past will get you no where today and no where tomorow.

September 27, 2008 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  5. J. Franklin

Sen. McCain you almost let down the people of Ole Miss and america by wanting to backout of this debate by stating that you wanted to focus on the current economic situation, that's all good but, we the people need a president who is able to multi task. We don't just have one crisis going on in our country...several things is at stack. That maverick and straight talk theory is something Ole John Wayne would say. Stop looking at those old movies and start watching CSI. This is a new time and we are looking for new solutions. That's why Sen. Obama has proven that he's our man.

September 27, 2008 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  6. Mary

John McCain did not really know what he's talking about. He's just into himself.

September 27, 2008 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  7. KindMiss

Obama should quit being such a gentleman...it's elections!You don't win by being true to yourself and the people out there..you have to manipulate, just like MCSame!

September 27, 2008 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  8. Adrienne

If McCain had kept the same nice tone he made his first remark with he could have won the debate. But, Mccain got kind of crazed. He made faces and would not look Obama in the eye. He kept his head down and made creepy smiles and did the snake tongue flicking thing that Kerry did that grossed me out so much in 2004. Yuck. old and creepy and mean spirited. He is no Ronald Reagan, at all. McCain seems too moody and kind of scary to me. I did not vote for Kerry because he creeped me out and I can't vote for Mccain for the same reason plus he seems unstable to me. Obama seems more like Reagan to me. A good leader even if i do not 100% agree with him on some issues… which I don't. But Obama seems like an even hand in a strom. Smart, strong and thoughtful.
    Obama made me feel for proud of being an American.

September 27, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  9. Western Voter

It is OVER. Sarah Palin will NOT be one heart beat away from the presidency during these most critical days.

Tonight Barack Obama showed he is READY. America is, indeed, READY for this change.

Our long (8 year) national nightmare is nearly over!

September 27, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  10. kristy

John McCain reminds me of George Bush.

September 27, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  11. Adrienne

Obama made me feel more proud of being an American.

September 27, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  12. Laura

You did John especially when I heard you were going back to Washington to work in YOUR JOB as Senator. Thanks for coming and winning this debate.

Senator Obama is going out campaigning tomorrow. I believe in NC. I think he should also work in His Job as Senator. Until the stiuation is worked out with the bailout.

Laura, Boston

September 27, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  13. Maury Simms

Unlike Obama, John McCain sure looked very angry at some point in the debate. Surely, Obama will now have my vote.

September 27, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  14. Glenn, Cary, NC

Tonight was supposed to be Senator McCain's night. It wasn't. Senator Obama more than held his own. I'm a Democrat but I'm not a big fan of Obama. I have always respected Senator McCain but I think Senator Obama comported himself more like a president tonight.

September 27, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  15. elle in ca

Senator McCain, You certainly make us very proud tonight.

September 27, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  16. George from Westerville

Yes Senator McCain, you made me proud ... proud that I'm an Obama supporter.

September 27, 2008 02:45 am at 2:45 am |
  17. Mike NC

George W. MCSame gets toasted by Barak Obama. MCMoney was called on the carpet for his misdirected McWhaler Lies, and when he was exposed could not stop lying. My God he almost looked like Sarah Palin in ancient butch. His foreign policy is so ancient history. He picked a VP that is a big joke, what was e thinking, what kind of judgment is that???????

I am mystified, (Hey He did leave his first wife for a younger prettier thing, think this is the real reason he picked her?? NAW! he'd never leave the deep diamond encrusted pockets). Palin can not do his bid any good now. She is not qualified, and she shoots his credibility all to hell. Palin reminds me of a numb minded character in the movies that just stumble their way into unrealistic and unbelievable scenarios. This election is totally clear No More George McBush and certainly no Sarah Palin.

September 27, 2008 02:45 am at 2:45 am |
  18. Canta

The answer as to what caused our countries financial problems all stems back to the Community Reinvestment Act.

I was never President Bush's fault.

John McCain was much too gentle in not exposing the transition from beginning to now.

There is a good blog on amazon.

I put my faith in McCain/Palin to clean up Washington.

September 27, 2008 02:46 am at 2:46 am |
  19. Michele

McCain did a great job tonight. He has real experiences to back up is positions.

September 27, 2008 02:46 am at 2:46 am |
  20. Kate

He sure showed those 'uppity Negros' that he won't look at them or talk to them as equals!
    McCain's display tonight was disgusting. I am ashamed to be an American.

September 27, 2008 02:46 am at 2:46 am |
  21. susancarroll

YES JOHHNIE YOU MADE US PROUD! Thank You.

September 27, 2008 02:47 am at 2:47 am |
  22. James

A bad week for McCain , just got a whole lot worse. Lets see , we have Rick Davis , McCain dropping like a rock in the polls. Then he pulls this political stunt of supposedly suspending his Campaign and claims he has to run back to Washington to save the world. But he failed to mention that he is not part of the committees that were dealing with the bail out , and therefor wouldn't have any input anyway. Then the congressional leaders come out and make statements about not needing McCain or wanting him. McCain shows up in Washington and screws up the entire frame work of the agreement. A very Conservative Republican comes out in MSM calling for Palin to step down for the good of the Republican Party because she is way out of her league , which once again points towards McCain's very poor judgment. Then McCain flip flops again , and decides he better show up for the Debate , AND LOST !

September 27, 2008 02:49 am at 2:49 am |
  23. QJ320

I know. I can't wait until Thursday night to see Biden vs Palin. I don't think that Palin is going to have a good night.

September 27, 2008 02:50 am at 2:50 am |
  24. vic

Go Obama!! finish this thing up and start repairing the economy.

September 27, 2008 02:50 am at 2:50 am |
  25. DG

I'll second that, FLDem.

McCain's body language spoke volumes tonight. I thought we were going to witness one of the temper-tantrums he's so famous for. He didn't look Obama in the eye even once that I can recall and he just seemed generally uneasy.

September 27, 2008 02:51 am at 2:51 am |