September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Amanda

John McCain, throughout this campaign, has seemed to think that simply saying something outloud makes it true. Keep telling yourself that, John.

September 27, 2008 02:51 am at 2:51 am |
  2. Lisa, MD

I'm still supporing Barack Obama :-)

September 27, 2008 02:52 am at 2:52 am |
  3. Guantanamo Hotel for Republi-con Scum

He's a great story teller..He'd make a good grandpa. The funny thing is McCain wasn't wearing the bracelet that the dead soldier's mother gave to him while Obama was wearing his.. It just displays who really has the interest of the people at heart..

September 27, 2008 02:52 am at 2:52 am |
  4. Deb

You were great John. Even Obama constantly agreed with you!

September 27, 2008 02:52 am at 2:52 am |
  5. Hilary B

Why wasn't your sidekick there tonight, John? Biden was.

September 27, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  6. Joy Fincannon

I am very proud of John McCain. I said before the debate that the media will have said "Obama wins debate" boy am I glad they didn't let me down. This is a message to all of the media McCain will win. I have known this since January, so keep it up media I love the spin.

September 27, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  7. NinaORLANDO

Yes, McShame, proud in my support for Barack Obama.

September 27, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  8. Fred Bedford

Both candidates peformed exceptionally well tonight, but honestly, Senator Obamba is to be declared the winner of the deebate.

September 27, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  9. Steve

Goodbye McCain, at 72 year old and at 5'7' in height and 165lbs power hungry little guy, do all of us a favour...retire

September 27, 2008 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  10. kirby

mccain talks about straight talk but he doesn't even know how manyn houses he owns ..or how many cars he has.. in know what i have ... that be none and 1

September 27, 2008 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  11. willowood

Ditto

September 27, 2008 03:04 am at 3:04 am |
  12. coolmemphian

It was very clear from the beginning....... even a kid can tell you..... who showed respect, culture, manners and professionalism in this debate.... OBAMA !!!!

Instead McCain was rude, couldnt look into Obama's eyes and debate like a professional, take the debate not as the enemy but just as a debate .... Grow McCain... I think even we MBA's know how to debate..... Go learn some manners and respect from home.... you sucker !!!

September 27, 2008 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  13. Margarita

War war war! No one wins a war. Everyone gets hurt. You made me scared to death.

September 27, 2008 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  14. TX for Obama

Wow McCain, you put out an ad stating you won this debate long before it even started...your opponent agreed with you 13 times saying "Your absolutely right" and "I agree." The whole time the only thing you said over and over is "Senator Obama does not understand!"
    But yet you still got your a$$ handed to you! You couldn't even look the man in his eyes... Is this how you plan to negotiate with our enemies? Obama is definately a standup guy with a lot more integrity; at least he knows how to give credit where credit is due.

September 27, 2008 03:05 am at 3:05 am |
  15. KSRep

Glad I watched, Mccain has shown that he deserves my vote.

September 27, 2008 03:06 am at 3:06 am |
  16. Chris S.

No Mccain, you didnt. You made me sick.

September 27, 2008 03:07 am at 3:07 am |
  17. Cyrus

Yes Sen. McCain. You made us proud...proud supporters of Obama

September 27, 2008 03:10 am at 3:10 am |
  18. Nathan

For the 21st century, war is not important. How can US lead the world with "thought leadership" – that is important. Not with might or power or pride.

In this Obama scores McCain very decisively.

To all GOPs and independents :

1. Talk to a mother who has lost her kid in the war
    2. Talk to a family who have lost their family house due to foreclosure
    3. Talk to a retired couple who is loosing value in their retirement money
    4. Talk to a kid who cannot go to a school, because Billions have been / are being wasted on Iraq.
    5. Talk to a person who cannot afford helath care

Then think and decide for yourself

September 27, 2008 03:12 am at 3:12 am |
  19. Ben

Barack Obama has demonstrated the spirit of the gentleman, whereas McCain has shown how unscrupulous he can be just to attain his goals.

September 27, 2008 03:12 am at 3:12 am |
  20. cameka

I really don't like macain

September 27, 2008 03:12 am at 3:12 am |
  21. Tim from Eugene OR.

Thanks John, as if I needed any doubts aboutmy vote!

September 27, 2008 03:13 am at 3:13 am |
  22. JohnBoy

Thank God we will have a president that has expericence, John McCain. Looks like Obama's "TAX THE RICH" has turned out not to be true, he will tax everyone, the largest tax increase in our history.

The Democrats and their "I HATE BUSH" has turned against them. Hate is all the Democrats have. Lets clean house and remove all the do nothing Democrats from the House and the Senate.

McCain 08

September 27, 2008 03:15 am at 3:15 am |
  23. FrankE

Agree FLDem

September 27, 2008 03:15 am at 3:15 am |
  24. Voter

I felt more confident in John McCain. Obama wasn't the hype that he was all hyped up to be. But one thing I didn't like was McCain wouldn't even acknowledge Obama by not looking at him in the eye. Kind of disrespectful I thought. Almost like he looked down on him like he was a kid.

September 27, 2008 03:16 am at 3:16 am |
  25. Ulrike

McProud doesn´t understand the 21st century.
    His values are out of World War II and this "commander in chief" thing feels like an ill wind.
    I think that´s what he really wants to be, the "First Commander".

September 27, 2008 03:16 am at 3:16 am |