September 26th, 2008

McCain: 'I hope I made you proud tonight'

OXFORD, Mississippi (CNN) – Senator John McCain dropped in on a vocal group of supporters near the University of Mississippi campus late Friday night after his face-off with rival Barack Obama, asking the crowd: “Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

McCain, joined by his wife Cindy and daughter Meghan, visited a debate watching party at the club Lyric on Oxford Square. A smiling McCain briefly addressed the crowd of about 1,000 backers, “I'm overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support ,and I want to say that I thank you all for being here. I want to tell you that I will not let you down.”

He talked about his family’s roots in the state, and his time stationed at the Naval Air Station in Meridian. To loud cheers, he said, “I hope I made you proud tonight. I'm grateful for your friendship, I'm grateful for your support and I can't think of a better place to be than Oxford, Mississippi."

McCain then boarded the Straight Talk Express to drive 90 minutes to Memphis. He will fly back to Washington overnight.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Tim

I thought the debate was a tie. Obama better on the economy, McCain slightly better on foreign affairs.

BUT, If McCain had been less condescending, I would have thought of him as presidential. There is no way I can vote for a man who is afraid of looking his opponent in the eye ... and this is someone who agrees with many ideas and policies McCain has. What will McCain do if the person across the table is an enemy? Not look at him or her? Take a time out? Let Palin take over?

September 27, 2008 03:18 am at 3:18 am |
  2. Hawaiian Dude

McCane(like walking cane) should've stayed away from the debate tonight and just stayed in Washington. He obvious fell on his face and showed America that he just doesn't have what it takes to be our President. He screwed up Iran president's name and can't control his temper when he's debating. Stay tuned for the VPs turn, it'll be another slam dunk for the Democrats. Also, for those females that will be voting for Painlin just because she's a female, I truly feel sorry for you for not using good judgment and will basically show how pathetic and weak you are.

September 27, 2008 03:21 am at 3:21 am |
  3. Brian S.

“Do you think we showed them who's qualified to be commander-in-chief?”

Oh, John. You don't want to know the answer to that question...

September 27, 2008 03:22 am at 3:22 am |
  4. now a obama supporter

what is he saying!!! He didn't talk anything on point, just complained about obama rather than talking about his own plans.....Obama was very gracious enough to admit and acknowledge mccains few good work in his long carrier as senator.....and he is trying to sell himself on that...... other then than it was all Obama .... I think Obama is a winner in this debate that is also with huge margin....

September 27, 2008 03:24 am at 3:24 am |
  5. amanda

We all know what happens to people who systematically and consistently lie..... they didn't get far. unfortunately for mccsame, he didn't learn from that experince. keeps looking back at 30 years of prisoner of war like it happened yesterday. mccsame it's jaded, outdated and worn out. lf you can come up with a reng story besides he wasn't the only POW and certainly wasn't the last one. Get over it johnny.

September 27, 2008 03:24 am at 3:24 am |
  6. Jay K. Salem, OR

I believde that though both candidates are capable of handling the job, with McCain being a veteran, and Obama being a constitutional lawyer. I believe that Obama will prevail in this election, regardless of his "Beating" McCain (or not) in the debates.

The economy is in trouble, and the last time that we had a sustained control of the government by the republican party (greater than a couple of years) we ended up in the great depression that did not see a turnaround until 1933 when the democrats took both houses of congress, and the white house with FDR.

Our economic cycle does seem to flow along with the repubican governmental control as well, with recessions oddly appearing during or shortly after a simultaneous republican administration/control of the congress.

That said, I am seriously thinking that we should avoid the republican vote at all costs to maintain some sanity in Washington.

September 27, 2008 03:25 am at 3:25 am |
  7. Wayne Morgan Rep NC

Hang in ther John, your lifes experiances and abilities willhelp you in these debates as well as in the White House.In the end the cream always rises to the top. We the people are tired of empty promises with the same old results. We beleive in your love for this country, and your true desire to get the goverment back into the hands of the peopleand away from these unreachable, and for the most part undesireable people that are suppose to be our repersentives that have sold out the people their suppose to represent. Of sending tens of and hundred of millions of dollars to these other countris around the world, I think its plain to see that we need to be more frugle with our tax dollar. I think that you and Sarah Palin ahave a feel on the pulse of this country. God Bless

September 27, 2008 03:25 am at 3:25 am |
  8. mark stevens

I'm not the least bit proud of a career politician who can't even look his opponent in the eye during a debate....not once...I guess when you align yourself with the worst president in our history so often you CAN'T look anyone in the face, especially the american people..he didn't look at US either!

September 27, 2008 03:26 am at 3:26 am |
  9. Spid3r6

I have to say I never knew that Obama had so much knowledge on foreign affairs. We all know that McCain has 26+ years of experience and this is his strongest suite. Obama showed that there is diffrerent way of dealing with the international community. McCain got so frustrated that he Obama kept coming back all the time that finally McCain had to end it with his POW story.

September 27, 2008 03:28 am at 3:28 am |
  10. James

Same here......

Certainly changing sides... Dems have my vote this time!

September 27, 2008 03:31 am at 3:31 am |
  11. MMcDem

I second that, I let out a huge sigh of relief after that debate, hopefully smooth sailing from here on out.

September 27, 2008 03:31 am at 3:31 am |
  12. Hope LV,NV

Yes john you made me proud to vote for Obama. Thanks

September 27, 2008 03:31 am at 3:31 am |
  13. Micheal

I am so proud of you, John!!!! and I am going to vote for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Democrat who is against the liar, Obama!!!!!

September 27, 2008 03:36 am at 3:36 am |
  14. Weepy

John McCain certainly made ME proud tonight. I was loving it when I noticed that John was not giving the "O-Man" (O for zero) a single glance. Why should he? And I was praying aloud that John would continue to ignore the "O-Man". Ah. . .poor little celebrity puppy!

September 27, 2008 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  15. Fitzpatrick

Thanks Mc cain. obama is my president now. You did help him well.

Obama/Biden 08

September 27, 2008 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  16. birdie3

me too

September 27, 2008 03:41 am at 3:41 am |
  17. let there be truth!

to me McCain reeks of the same old politics of arrogance and self rigthousness that has brought this country to where we are today. he sounded so much like a confused Bush on policy, rambling away his usual political stumps to every question. and did he talk about his POW again?

September 27, 2008 03:41 am at 3:41 am |
  18. kakansas

McCain didn't let me down. He acted in the same sarcastic and condescending way he always does. He started every subject off on a negative note.
    I can't wait until thursday to see the Biden/ Palin debate.

September 27, 2008 03:42 am at 3:42 am |
  19. McLovin it

I can't wait for Palin/Biden debat. lol, I think that's where the funs at! Hope she doesn't start crying on stage. :|

September 27, 2008 03:43 am at 3:43 am |
  20. CB from PA

McCain TANKED

he smirked, lied, and simply regurgitated his acceptance and stump speech

why can't CNN and the msm just ADMIT that McCain not only lost the debate but is terribly WRONG ABOUT AMERICA?!

I dare the good people at CNN to post this comment but I bet they won't....

September 27, 2008 03:45 am at 3:45 am |
  21. SHEPP

Disgusted.

Do you listen to any of the joint chiefs?

The war was won in 2 weeks.

This is not Nam...we invaqded a toppled a dictator we put in power and now have NO PLAN for getting Iraq stable on their own.

Do you read history? Do you understand this is a made up country from WWII that has tribal and religous battles that date back 1500 years?

The "WAR" was won in 2 weeks our policy for rebuilding was Halliburton....defeat? where are the 'copters crashing into the sea?
    You are a disgrace to the service.

My Father was a special Opps Ranger 101st in Korea.your pandering with noun verb pow is shameless.

That idiot Palin...well I can see Russia...are you suffering from dementia?

Your autobiog. states clearly you want the prize...you have no concern for USA first it is JM getting the prize.

Scum

September 27, 2008 03:45 am at 3:45 am |
  22. Thomas

The outgoing commander of US troops in Iraq, Gen David Petraeus, has said that he will never declare victory there.
    He said he did not know that he would ever use the word "victory": "This is not the sort of struggle where you take a hill, plant the flag and go home to a victory parade... it's not war with a simple slogan."

September 27, 2008 03:48 am at 3:48 am |
  23. Mike

Isn't NO WAY IN HELL I'd vote for a so called man that is supported by muslims!! OPENLY REFUSES to wear the American flag, wants to tax ALL of us $10-$20G and THANK GOD I don't have to worry about this!!
    McCain/Palin WILL WIN and we'll be FAR BETTER OFF!!
    ~An Iraq veteran that KNOWS we ARE doing good in Iraq!!~

September 27, 2008 03:50 am at 3:50 am |
  24. The View from here

I don't think either candidate was a raging success however Obama made his points clearer. McCain drifted to often into the same old McWar stance. Obama looked and acted like more of what I would want my President to look and act like. His education and upbringing stood him above McCains bar room fighter stance. Obama certainly exibited patiences and an ability to listen whereas McCain true to his self importance attitude was rude in not making eye contact with Obama. Obama was animated while McCain gripped the podium and glared most of the time straight ahead. Next time I hope they get off their respective stump speaches and tell it like it really is.. I would give this one to Obama, But only slightly.

September 27, 2008 03:52 am at 3:52 am |
  25. Alan

John mcain showed why he will win

September 27, 2008 03:53 am at 3:53 am |